Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I slide down the wall, tuck my knees under my chin and engulf myself in a tight embrace. I don’t want to face Jared right at this moment of personal crisis, so I let him walk out on me without a word. I need some time to gather my thoughts and to breathe properly again.

I find myself so taken aback by betrayal and disappoint I just allow the darkness of this tiny room to swallow me. I trusted Jared enough to respect my wishes; to give me time to sought out my life without being in a relationship.

But he decided that his needs were more important than my own. He even went as far as kissing me in a pitch black Janitor’s closet to conceal his subterfuge.

I can’t believe I’ve been so blind! How could I have believed it was my mysterious stranger against all odds? It would be next to impossible for him to find me, let alone catch me in the right moment to pull me into an abandoned room. But for Jared such a thing would be easy enough.

He has my timetable and he knows where my locker is. So all he’d have to do is follow me after I leave class, do what ever he wants to me and then slide a note into my locker. Why I haven’t suspected him of this before concerns me.

But my worry is shadowed by the disappointment that’s subtly but surely tugging on my heartstrings. I kissed that man with so much passion because I was almost positive it was my mysterious stranger.

But now that I know it really wasn’t him, I’m completely disgusted with myself. Surely I have more self-respect and pride than what I have recently showcased?

With anger coursing through my veins, I stand up and proceed towards the locker bays. If Jared thinks he can get away with taking advantage of me than he has another thing coming. I have to show him that I won’t settle for his dishonourable behaviour, even if I have to force myself to cast aside our past.

I spot Jared leaning against a locker with his friends, gulping down a large Red Bull without a worry in the world. His carelessness only fuels my fury as I walk up to confront him.

Jared’s features automatically lace with concern when he sees me. He offers me a shy smile that doesn’t reach his eyes, hoping that I will return it, but all I do is scowl at him. I’m too mad for anything else. 

“Jared,” I say slowly. “We need to talk.”

Jared guides me over to a table in the cafeteria and we sit opposite each other. His ocean blue eyes skim over my face with so much love in them it would be impossible to mistake how he feels about me.

There was once a time when I returned that same gaze, but his decisions in the last few months have separated us. I still miss him though.

“You’ve moved on. Haven’t you, Em?” Jared says sadly, an expression of pure disappointment illuminating his handsome face.

What on Earth is Jared talking about?

“I don’t blame you,” Jared continues. “You deserve better than me. So I hope whoever you’re seeing is treating you right.”

His statement has my eyebrows furrowing in with confusion. I don’t understand why he can’t just be honest with me. I’d much rather the truth first hand, rather receiving an apologising for lying later.

“Come on, Em. Don’t look at me like that,” Jared pleads, leaning over the table to take my hands in his.

The warmth of his palms radiates onto my skin like a timid flame. The heat courses up my arms and travels all over my body. Jared’s touch is nothing short of receiving a kiss from the sun.