Chapter Twenty

"Benjamin? Benjamin!" I screamed into the phone.

Everything began to blur around me as tears streaked down my face, burning my eyes. I wiped furiously at them, trying to focus.

My breath caught in my throat as I called your number, whilst rushing out of my apartment. My phone continued to ring. It eventually reached your voicemail where I hung up. I couldn't speak. I'm not sure why I rang to begin with. I slammed my car door closed, enraged and upset, and drove towards the hospital, pushing the speed limit as my knuckles went white from gripping the steering wheel.

The hospital was my initial thought. You know, because that's where they take people if they get into a goddamn car crash.

Good idea, but I wasn't prepared to see what was on the other side.

I stormed into the hospital, bloodshot eyes and soaked cheeks, and demanded to see Benjamin Hanson and family members.

Reluctantly, the lady behind the counter gave me their room number, probably more concerned about my welfare than yours, Benjamin.

I took the elevator, instantly regretting my slow decision. I would've rather taken the stairs.

When the elevator stopped at floor 5, I hopped out into the deserted hallway. Slowly, I approached room 465, knocking lightly on the door.

Opening it quietly, I slipped through the small gap and the door clicked behind me.

The room was dimly lit, but you could still see everything clearly.

I felt my stomach drop.

God, Benjamin, I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't only one person lying on a single hospital bed. I guess I was expecting more, maybe 3 people, maybe your whole family.

I inched closer to the body.

Your dad.

His face was drained, white. Scratches covered his exposed body, and wounds that have been cleaned. But his pulse was still there, heart still working.

He was okay.

He was alive.

But where were you, Benjamin? And, your mum?

Why weren't you there too?