Chapter Eight

“Hey are you up for a Starbucks run?” Connor asked as I walked downstairs the next morning. I shrugged. “I guess so.” I said. I grabbed an apple off the kitchen counter and Connor and I headed outside and got into the car. There was a Starbucks a few minutes down the road from the house so Connor stopped there. “What do you want?” He asked me. “I don’t feel good, so I’ll just take some tea.” I said. “Are you okay?” Connor asked. “Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just a stomachache.” I told him. “Alright; what kind of tea do you want?” Connor asked. “I don’t care as long as it’s not iced tea because that stuff is disgusting.” Connor chuckled. “Alright, I’ll find something.” He said. Connor got out of the car and went inside, leaving me sitting alone.

            My phone rang and I saw my brother’s name flash across the screen. I hit ignore and slid my phone back into my pocket. A few minutes later Connor came back out and got in the car. “I got you a Full Leaf Chai Tea because it’s a lot better than Green Tea and those were the only two non-iced teas they had.” Connor handed me the cup and placed his in the cup holder. “Thanks” I said. “What do I owe you?” “Nothing” Connor said. “Come on, you’ve bought me lunch already. If you keep buying me things you’re going to run out of money.” I said. “Don’t worry about it” Connor said. “It’s alright.” “Okay.” I said, taking a sip of my tea. I leaned my head back against the seat of the car and closed my eyes.

            “Are you sure you’re alright?” Connor asked. “Yeah, I’m just tired.” I told him. “Do you have any errands to run today?” I asked, changing the subject. “I have to stop by the store and pick up a few things, but other than that, I’m free.” Connor said. “Will you come eat lunch with me again?” I asked. Connor smiled. “I don’t see why not.” He said. I smiled. Connor pulled up to the gate of the park and I got out of the car. “I’ll see you at lunch.” He said. “Alright, see you then.” I said. I shut the door and waved and then started my walk over to New Fantasyland. I changed into my costume and locked my bag into the locker. I walked over to my post, sat down and picked up the stuffed Flounder toy.

            Families walked around the park, some stopping to see me and others walking right on by. At 10:30am, I decided to take my break. No one had stopped by since 10 o’clock so I figured it was safe to leave. I walked over to Fantasyland to try and find Abbie. “Hey stranger.” I turned to my left and found the smiling face of Abbie standing in front of me. “What’s up?” She asked. “No one was over in New Fantasyland and I’ve just been sitting there alone for the past half hour so I decided to take my break” I told her. “And since I don’t know anyone else here, I figured I’d just come see you.” “I’m not sure whether that makes me happy or not…” Abbie said. “Uhhhh…” I said. Abbie laughed. “Relax, I’m just kidding.” She said. “On another note” I said. “How are you?” “I’m doing pretty good, how are you and Connor?” Abbie asked.

            I sighed. “I told you, there’s nothing going on between us!” I said. “Nicole, trust me on this. I know what I’m talking about and I know that there’s something there. By the end of the month, you two will be together.” Abbie said. I shook my head and rolled my eyes. “Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.” Abbie said. I laughed. “Nice one, Abbie.” I said. “Why thank you.” She said, also laughing a bit. “Do you wanna go out and grab something for lunch today?” Abbie asked. She turned to a little kid and took a picture and then turned back to me. “I can’t” I said. “Connor is coming here and we’re going to eat lunch together again.” “Awww!” Abbie cried. “You guys are so cute!” I sighed. “Once again, we’re not together.” I said. “Yet.” Abbie said. I sighed and shook my head. There was no getting through to Abbie.