Asking

A/N I'll probably only have about 3 or 4 more chapters after this because everything is feeling so forced and no ideas are able to flow. After this is over, I'll go to my one shot book, and I might have a few one shots based on this story.

Lapis' POV
The dance was this Friday, and no one has asked me yet. I think that Peri is definitely planning something, but I'm still worried about her. She hasn't told me the other thing that happened with Rubellite and I'm just so worried. In the morning she wakes up with bags under her eyes, and sometimes I can feel her shivering under the covers as she tosses and turns. I know that she's having nightmares, but she'll never tell me what they're about. Maybe I'll talk to her about it today. Speaking of Peridot, she finally asked me out on a date for tonight! We never really had the chance with all the drama that's been going on for the past month or so. She's taking me to The Crab Shack, which is this very fancy seafood restaurant down the street from my house. School flies by, and before I know it we're at home getting ready for the date. It's kind of awkward since we live in the same house, but we promised not to look at each other until we get there. Peridot is going to walk there and my Mom is going to drive me there, so it seems more like a proper date. I sift through my dresses and shirts, trying to look for the perfect one to wear for Peri.
"Hey sweetie, maybe you could wear this?" I look over at my mom and she's holding a beautiful blue shirt, that just screams me. I know it's going to look weird for me to wear it, but I just feel like it's asking for it. She's also holding a pair of my stylish ripped jeans that looks perfect with the shirt.
"Thanks so much mom!" I give her a hug, and slip on the jeans and the shirt. I smile, and go in the bathroom to put my makeup on.

~~~~~~

I'm in my mom's car, messing with the rose I got for Peridot, and I bite down on my lip. I know that we hang out a lot, but we never went on a date so I'm not sure what to expect.
"Hey, sweetie, it'll be fine. Go and have fun on your date!" I smile nervously at my mom as she hugs me and I slowly leave the car. I straighten my shirt and jeans and pick up the rose, careful not to break the stem. I walk into the restaurant to see Peridot fiddling with her bow tie, looking cute as ever. I smile and take the seat next to her. She looks up at me, and gives me that lopsided grin she knows I love to see.

Peridot's POV
I take a deep breath, and make sure that the cuffs on my tuxedo look alright. Lapis looks absolutely stunning, and I think my mouth would have dropped open if it wasn't for me  trying to be a gentlewoman. She hands me a rose and I can feel my face go pink. I straighten my glasses.
"Thanks so much for coming," I give her a quick peck on the cheek and now it's her turn to blush.
"You really think I would ditch my girlfriend?" Lapis gives me a smirk, and I smile back. Hopefully I seem calm because on the inside I'm freaking out. I make sure the guitar is hidden under the table, and she won't accidentally kick it or something of the sort. I suddenly feel overdressed, but I smile as I see what she's wearing. I'll have to thank her mom later, seeing as I told her the plan. I hand Lapis a box of chocolates, and we order our food. I order a serving of California rolls, and Lapis orders a lobster. It's getting pretty dark outside, and most of the costumers are leaving. By the time we finish our meal, almost all the customers are gone. Now's my chance. While Lapis is looking at the small fish tank, I take out my guitar, just in time for her to look back at me.

"Loving can hurt," I look over at Lapis, who is wearing a confused expression on her face.
"Loving can hurt sometimes," I see Rubellite's ugly mug, but I refuse to think any further on him, so I continue singing. "But it's the only thing that I know.
When it gets hard,
You know it can get hard sometimes.
It is the only thing that makes us feel alive.

We keep this love in a photograph,
We made these memories for ourselves.
Where our eyes are never closing,
Hearts are never broken,
Times forever frozen still.