Two | Homecoming

"Bellamy?" Jefferson ran towards me, my daughter at his side. "Bellamy!" He wrapped his arms around me and kissed me. "Grace, come here. This is your Mama."

Grace walked over. "But you said Mama died."

I hugged Grace and kissed her forehead. "I was supposed to, my dear, but I made a deal."

"No, please, Bella. You shouldn't have made a deal with... her." Jefferson still had his arms wrapped tightly around me and Grace. "C'mon, inside."

We sat at the old table, the same one we owned when Jefferson and I were first married, and I explained everything that happened over eight years— which only took me a few moments. Jefferson's expression was almost as grim as Grace's.

"Mama, why did you make a deal with her?" Grace asked. I smiled, but it soon faded.

"I wanted— I needed to see you," I grinned. "And your father, of course." I smiled innocently at Jefferson, who rolled his eyes. "But as long as I, or the Queen lives, I'm her tailor."

That night, somebody [Jefferson] wouldn't go to sleep. "Go to sleep," I said, poking Jefferson's chest. "Or you'll be in trouble."

He raised his hands as is I offended him. "Am I now?" He kissed my jaw, but I poked his forehead.

"Please, dear, I'm tired." I hissed. Jefferson sighed and turned on his other side, facing the wall and not me. "Jefferson, dear—"

He cut me off by kissing me, throwing his arms around my waist again. "Hm?" He hummed.

I took a deep breath. "Please, my love, go to sleep. I'm tired, you look  at least a little tired." I said. "Please?"

"Bella, I haven't seen you in eight years," He said. I sat up and walked towards the fireplace in the main room. "What are you doing?"

"Getting something to eat," I lied. "Go back to bed, I'll be in a moment."

I walked over to the chest of fabrics Regina had given me. I pulled a leathery black fabric and started sewing the long, black coat she had requested.

Little footsteps came from the hall. "Mama?" Grace asked. "What are you doing?"

I shook my head, putting the leather coat on the table. "Finishing up. What do you need dear?"

Grace picked up a stuffed rabbit from a tiny table in the top right corner of the room and turned on her heels. "Papa sounds upset." She said, frowning. "Mama, why is Papa upset?" Grace looked at me hopefully.

I walked Grace back to bed, kissed her forehead and went to bed. "Hey, Jefferson, come here." I sighed, wrapping my arms around his waist. "What's wrong?"

He twisted to face me, his eyes red. "Nothing." He huffed.

I kissed his cheek. "Tell me."

Jefferson pulled the blanket over his head. "Do you actually  still love me?"

"Yes," I said, tugging the blanket away from his face. "Why wouldn't I?"

His face turned grim. "Be—because, you don't act like you do."

Jefferson was gone the next morning. Grace was still in her bedroom sleeping peacefully under the warm covers. The cold air nipped my ears and lips and outside, the ground was covered in white dust. Snow. I hadn't seen snow, rain, sunshine, any type of weather for eight years. Being locked up in a cell isn't exactly my idea of fun.

"Where are my clothes I ordered?" Regina's voice came from the table. "Bellamy, where are they?" 

I smirked. "Over there, Regina." I answered, pointing to the chest. "Make them yourself."

She scowled and I grabbed my dagger. "Don't you dare, your majesty." I said. The door opened and a bust of cold wind ran through the house. Jefferson stood in the doorway with an armful of logs.

He looked at me, then the Queen. "What is she doing here?" Jefferson gestured to her, an ax still in his hand.

"Put your weapons down," Regina hissed. "Now!"

I dropped my dagger out of fear. Instincts took over and I locked Grace's bedroom door. She's not going to be hurt because of me. Jefferson on the other hand, still wielded the ax. "Drop it, Jefferson." I muttered. He glared at me, but still kept the weapon in his hands.

Regina stood up and disappeared, leaving nothing but a piece of paper.

"Nobody crosses me..."

I stared at it for hours. Grace sat beside me and grasped the tiny piece of paper with scribbles on it. "Mama, what is this?"

Jefferson turned with a jerk. "It's something the Queen left, Grace. Why don't you go play in your room for a moment? I need to talk with your mother." She nodded and ran into her room, quickly slamming the door.

"Yes?" I questioned, propping my feet up on the empty chair beside me. He gritted his teeth and sat down.

"Do you even understand why you shouldn't have made a deal with her?" He growled. I rolled my eyes.

I bit my lip and scratched my nails against the table. "Apparently I'm stupid." I mumbled. "Why do you think I stayed away all those years? I wanted to be here. I wanted to be here with you and Grace. I begged and begged for her to let me go, but she wouldn't let me."

His face relaxed. "She said you died," Jefferson choked. "I thought you were dead. But you were alive all this time. You could've used your hat!"

"You really think she's that  stupid?" I said. "She took my needle and threads away too."

He sighed. "Just break the deal."

"And then I'll actually get killed. You are so brilliant, Jefferson." I hissed. Jefferson grabbed my hand and pulled me up from my chair.

Jefferson grinned. "Oh yeah? Is that really  what you think, Miss Mastermind?"

"Oh just shut up." I said. "Go and mess with the fire. It's going out."

Grace wrapped her arms around me and looked up at me. "Mama, why are you going mad?"