Chapter 1

"Thanks, Mom!" I breathed gratefully, handing my mother Junghyun, who was swathed in his blankets inside his portable rocker. Her eyes lit up as she took in her grandson, who cooed in delight. After a while, Junghyun had begun to resemble me more, with the vampire-pale skin and the soft features, but his newly-grown baby teeth were suspiciously bunny-like.

"No problem," she replied, smiling at the infant in adoration. "You kids go have fun!"

"We will, thanks again," said Jungkook before we departed, hand-in-hand. As we walked out of the apartment, I squeezed his hand excitedly, not being able to contain myself. He looked at me with questioning eyes, and I beamed with the most enthusiasm I had felt in a long time.

"We're finally going to live again!" I sang, doing a little dance, which wasn't easy in the heels I was wearing. Even so, I managed to maintain my balance and somewhat pull off the dance with minimal--but still existent--grace.

Jungkook chuckled. "Glad to know you were so eager to get rid of our son," he deadpanned, earning a light shove from me.

"You know what I mean," I chided. "Someone my age should be in college, skipping classes, attending sorority parties, and having drunken sex on a stranger's couch, you know?"

"I'm sorry, am I holding you back or something?" Jungkook snorted. "I can do the drunken sex, but I'm not sure I can do the rest... We could start our own sorority, if that's what you really want."

I giggled and rolled my eyes, cringing at the thought of it. "No thanks, but I appreciate the effort," I drawled sarcastically.

"I got you," he replied, nodding smugly.

The restaurant was conveniently barely a block away from my mother's apartment, which was perfect for our plans. It was a fancy, Western restaurant near the heart of the city. The hostess greeted us with a polite smile and led us to a table in a darker, secluded corner at Jungkook's request, and she gave us a wary look as she walked away. I glanced after her with distaste and slight offense.

"What does she think we're gonna do here?" I wondered incredulously. "We're not horny teenagers."

"It's not every day that someone asks for a secluded, dark corner to be seated in," Jungkook answered. "Most people don't ask for that just because they like it."

I scoffed. "Okay, but this isn't even that secluded nor dark," I commented, glancing around at the restaurant. There weren't people at the tables right next to ours, but there were still tables within earshot, and the light was only slightly dimmed, due to the distance from the light. "If we did anything remotely adventurous, it would be painfully obvious."

"I think you're forgetting how conservative people can be, Scarlet," Jungkook pointed out. "Either way, we're not gonna do anything."

"True."

"Unless you wanna have that drunken s-"

"I said true, Jungkook," I interjected quickly, averting my gaze as my cheeks blazed red without my consent. Even after all this time, the damn boy still knew how to set my face on fire. It was a talent at this point, honestly. "'True' as in I agreed with your last sentence."

Jungkook held up his hands playfully. "Alright, alright," he chuckled. "Don't say I didn't offer."

I was going to snap a sharp response, but the waitress returned, a slip of paper and pen in hand.

"What may I get you?" she asked politely. Her attitude seemed to have died down as soon as she realized that we weren't going down on each other any time soon. We quickly grabbed for the menus, simultaneously realizing that neither of us had even touched the them.