Chapter 1

Aurora Grace

Life back at Cumberland Ave was very normal, no one cared about what you did or who you hung out with. But things here at Vancouver Beacon were very different, it was a very small town. Population approximately 8534, so it would make sense that almost everyone knew who everyone was .

I honestly don't know why we came to live here, me and my dad. I suppose after he lost his job and my mom ran away with some rich boy toy my dad felt like a new start. I couldn't blame him though. In a suburban neighborhood like Cumberland Ave, respect was measured on what you had and now that my dad had pretty much lost almost everything , we both knew moving to another town was inevitable. But I honestly never thought we'd move to a town like Vancouver Beacon.

The place was full of strange people and strange places, it also looked different somehow. Like it was Instagram filtered, it was much more dull and greyish and plain out weird. But I was in no position to fight . Beggars can't be choosers.

Honestly I've found it difficult to believe that my dad has lost his assets, or even his job. There is a part of me that thinks we came here as an escape, but I can't put a finger on what we're escaping from. Perhaps it's from his business associates or a business deal gone sour, but if that was the case I would've seen it. Whatever is happening, my dad is doing a terrific job at making sure I can't predict it.

See, I have visions about the future, vivid visions actually. But these past few months I just haven't been able to see anything, the last one I saw was my mom telling me to be careful and her getting taken away, or running away as my dad told me. I still can't believe she'd do that to us, to me. We'd always been very close. How can she just up and leave and leave us behind like sacs of potatoes?
She's selfish and I hate her.

-"Okay pumpkin dear, what's that frown for?" I hadn't even noticed I was frowning till my dad pointed it out.
-"If it's because I chose for us to eat burgers instead of pizza I promise next time you'll choose."

"Oh come on dad, we both know that's not happening.
And I was just thinking about my visions"

My dad quickly pushed his plate aside and scanned me closely -"why? have you gotten them lately?"

"Um no, I haven't . And that's the problem dad I've had these visions my whole life, I just don't understand how something so personal could just stop"

My dad sighed and ran his hand through his hair.
-"Well, constantly thinking about the whys and hows isn't going to help Aurora, I think the best thing would be for you to not mention anything about having visions, especially since you'll be going to school"

Whoa baby- what?

-"Um, well yes hunny, I've enrolled you into a high school just a few blocks away, you'll love it. You start tomorrow"

"But father I-"

-"Goodnight hunny".

Great. So now I'm gonna have to go to school , man. We've only been here a month and guess who has to go to school?? TOMORROW nogal, I can't .
But seeing new people will be interesting, I just hope nothing bad happens, who am I even gonna chill with ? It's times like these when i really needed my visions.

Who's even gonna take me to school?
~~~
I jogged up the stairs to my dad's room to see if he'd give me a lift to school in the morning. We only had one car, but my dad promised me a new one by the end of the next month, which is why my suspicions about us being apparently broke didn't really ring something in me. The house we also lived in was very polished, it was a 2 story house, with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, a big kitchen that was separated from the lounge with a glass slide in door. The walls were gray, and the furniture consisted of white sofas, white round up chairs, a white bean bag and purple cushions. It was just white against gray.

"Dad? Dad can I come in?" I've been knocking at this stupid door for about 3 minutes now and my dad hasn't said a word, is he sleeping that fast?

I was about to walk up to my room when I smelled a funny smell of incense.
But why would my dad have it? Heck why is he burning it? Incense is detrimental to psychics it freaking blocks off their- oh shit!

I quickly ran up to my room and threw myself under the blankets as I felt dad coming to my room. He must've heard me knocking . If I pretend to be asleep he'll think I'm to something .

"Hey dad, I just wanted to know who'll drop me off at school tomorrow, and pick me up?"

I hoped as hell my voice wouldn't break and my face wouldn't give anything away. I need to know why my dad was burning incense, and the only way I'm gonna find out is if I don't give him reasons to be suspicious of me.

-"Aurora, did you hear what I just said?"

"Uh no dad sorry, I was thinking about something else" my dad narrowed his eyes "school, I'm just nervous that's all"

-"Alright then, I said I'll drop you off in the morning and since it's not that far you can just walk back after school. You'll be okay ".

"Alright dad thanks, goodnight".

I exhaled loudly as he closed the door . If my dad was burning incense, then that means one thing and one thing only; this house has bad spirits.
I shuddered at the thought . Omg, ghosts, maybe even vampires. Anything could be looking at me right at this moment. I guess this means one thing, I'm definitely sleeping with the lights on.

-------------