Chapter 14

Nick glared at Brandon as he shut the door behind him. "What are you doing here? I thought I told you to stay away." Nick spoke his voice was only a whisper, but the tone of his voice very angry. 

"I came to see how she was doing. You're not the only one who can see here!" Brandon spoke a little too loudly causing Maddie to open her eyes slowly. 

"What's going on?" She whispered looking up into Nick's eyes while keeping her head resting against his shoulder. "Nothing. Go back to sleep Mads." Nick whispered to her kissing her forehead softly. 

Maddie looked at him, and then turned around and saw Brandon. Maddie may have blacked out after being dropped, but she knew for sure it was Brandon who had dropped her, and because of that she had become absolutely terrified of him. 

Maddie tried to scoot father, or cuddle more into Nick. Brandon walked over, so he was standing next to the bed, and lent down to hug Maddie, but she only leaned more into Nick, and farther away from him. Brandon rolled his eyes and stood up, so he was at his normal height. 

Nick wrapped his arm around Maddie again as she looked at Brandon who was standing in front of the hospital bed down by where Nick and Maddie's feet were. 

"I didn't mean to drop you Maddie. I promise." Brandon said looking at her trying his hardest to make eye contact with her. Maddie completely avoided his gaze looking at anything, or anywhere in the room other than him. 

"Nick's trying to take our duet away." Brandon finally said after a few minutes of silence. Nick glared at Brandon. 

"Shut up dude!" Nick said a little too loudly causing Maddie to flinch. 

Maddie was a little scared. Nick had never raised his voice in front of her, and she didn't like it when he did now that he had. 

"Maybe that's because he's trying to keep me from ending up in this place again." Maddie spoke softly. Saying this she received a glare from Brandon before he walked over to the door and opened it before slamming it shut behind him. 

Nick looked down at Maddie who was already looking up at him. He leaned down and pressed his lips against hers gently. Maddie returned his kiss smiling softly into it. 

"Why are you taking his place in the duet?" Maddie asked him wanting to know the real reason. 

"I just want you to be safe, and I know that you will always be safe with me." He answered simply. Maddie smiled and leaned up to kiss him again when the door opened to reveal Melissa and Mackenzie. 

"Ooh you're awake!" Melissa squealed walking over to stand beside Maddie while running her hand over her daughter's forehead. Maddie smiled and leaned into her mother’s touch slightly. 

"I have good news." Melissa spoke causing Maddie and Nick to look up at her. "You can go home today, but you have to rest." She finished. Maddie and Nick nodded as Melissa grabbed Mackenzie's hand and went to go fill out the papers, so Maddie could be discharged. 

"You get to go home." Nick said a smile on his. 

Maddie nodded and let out a squeal. "I know, and then I get to go back to dance!" She spoke. Nick's smile faded a little. He wanted to be with Maddie when she got home, but he knew he had to go have Abby teach him his part in the duet. 

"Yeah." he said a smile on his face again. "Listen, are you going to be upset if I'm not with you when you go home?" He asked her. Maddie looked at him confused. "Why would I be upset?" She asked him.

"Well I have to go have Abby teach me the duet, so I can't be with you." Nick said a slight frown on his face. 

Maddie smiled and shook her head. "Nick you're going to learn a dance that you don't even have to learn in an hour just so you know I'm safe. That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me...Ever. Of course I'm not going to be mad at you." She spoke while holding his face in her hands. She leaned in and kissed him lightly smiling into the kiss. If anyone was pure perfection in her eyes it was definitely Nick.