Chapter 6

Maleficent hummed as she scanned over the group, eyeing them each suspiciously. Her gaze only released as she found Carlos, who couldn't bare to look up. All he wanted was to get home.

Right?

His breath hitched in his throat as the master of evil stalked up to him, like a predator hunting her pray. "Who, may you be?" She inquired, eyes flashing dangerously.

Carlos gulped. "C-Carlos." He stuttered, tone rising. Mal gazed helplessly, feet seemingly glued to the ground as she watched her mother do what she did best;

Terrify.

"Well, that's not all I need to know." Maleficent continued, swiping a sharp nail over the boy's cheek. Carlos shuddered, the dull moonlight barely showing the dark scratch that now bore his skin.

"What do we do?" Evie whispered to Jay as she clung to him tightly. He shook his head as she watched him with pleading eyes. "We can't do anything." He concluded, eyes hardening.

Evie released a quiet cry, plunging herself into the preteen's muscled arm. Jay sighed; at least the light wasn't bright enough to show the pink on his facial expression.

All but Maleficent jumped as a large crash echoed up from below then ground. "Where are you!" A higher voice screeched, making Mal's ear ring. "Maleficent we have business!"

Carlos visibly paled. He knew then voice's culprit, and easily guessed it in his mind. He lost his courage and his head slumped, pulling downward.

The clomping of steps drew near, and even Mal couldn't lie and admit she wasn't frightened.

"Maleficent!" Cruella De Vil shrieked, squeaking a small item on her shoulder madly. "What point do I make when I say don't wonder out?"

She squealed the item, now identified as a rubber dog once more, as if it would cause the woman to be even the slightest regretful. I didn't, but Carlos seemed effected as he slunk back, fear striking at his heart.

"I do not take orders." Maleficent growled. "I may be purchasing your merchandise, but you will never be able to force me to do tasks."

Cruella scoffed. "I can try." She retorted. But when she whipped her head around to each of the trio she had in her vision, her annoyance switched to full blown anger. "What are these kids doing here?"

"None of your business." Jay said. Cruella whipped to face him, and the preteen backed away as he finally noticed how intimidating the woman he had only heard stories about could truly be. "Enough out of you." She barked.

Maleficent still had her back turned to the others, and calculated Carlos' features, the boy too frightened to fight back. "Well, I just want to know why there is a runt with them." She told her apparent comrade.

Cruella De Vil peaked over her shoulder and put out a fake gasp, ripping the woman away. "That is my son!" She yelled, not bothering to push back the runt remark. "How did he get with them?"

"Mother." Mal interrupted, grasping her parent's attention. "How long have you been hiding this from the townsfolk?"

"You're her mother!" Cruella screamed, failing to hide her surprise. Maleficent glared at her. "And you're his."

Maleficent just now took notice of her daughter's appearance. "Who cares what they now? All of them are ignorant fools, who don't deserve the knowledge." She flicked Mal's nose, thee girl muttering a slight 'ouch' as the older woman smirked. "That includes you."

That made Mal flinch back, the words hitting her hard. Still not bad enough; all she had done was made her mother disgusted. "Hey!" Evie shouted. "You have no right to say that to her!"