Chapter 13

managing to find it without a problem (which surprised Carlos, to say the least). It was late, probably around midnight, when they snuck out of Auradon Prep. All of the other dorms had been silent and no students remained wondering around outside on the grounds. It seemed like they were the only four people alive in the world, which was unusual because the Isle of the Lost was always buzzing at night. Most villains preferred to stay out at night, rather than complete their business during the day.

Carlos followed slightly behind the others as they turned the corner around the building. So they found the museum, but where exactly was the wand insidethe museum?

"Check your mirror," Mal told Evie, thinking the same thing as Carlos.

"Why? Is my mascara smudged?" Evie asked worriedly.

"Yeah," Mal told her sarcastically as she checked to see if the coast was clear, "And hey, while you're at it why don't you try to find us the wand."

"Sorry," Evie said pulling it out looking into the mirror, "This way,"

She quickly turned toward one of the back entrances and ran, leading the others along with her. Once they reached the door, the four peered through the windows trying to get a better look at what was inside.

The first thing Carlos noticed was the security guard. It wasn't even a big problem, there was only one guard. They had dealt with more dangerous people than museum night guards before. Then looking closer, Carlos saw the guard looking at a series of screens laid out before him, each one focusing in on a certain artifact that must have been in the museum somewhere. Carlos' breath was nearly taken away. There were so many valuable items in this museum, the mad hatter's hat, King Triton's triton, the beast's enchanted rose, Cinderella's glass slipper, and even the infamous Genie lamp.

When he saw the lamp he immediately thought of the boy standing beside him. Jay's father had searched all his life for that lamp, and had almost gotten it too, if it wasn't for the fact a certain poor boy named Aladdin tricked him and stole it from him. Even though Jafar knew Aladdin's genie was free and that lamp was now useless, he still searched for any lamp that could possible hold another. Then as soon as Jay was old enough to walk, he taught him to search for lamps or anything that could possibly make his father rich and powerful. So Jay took up stealing, trying to please his father and find him anything he could that would make him happy. But Jafar was never happy, because Jay never brought him a stupid magic lamp.

There had been times where Jay would climb through the window of Carlos' room in the middle of the night. Without saying anything, he would just silently crawl into his bed and lay with him, hoping to not wake him up. Jay didn't know that every time he snuck in, Carlos was awake. Jay didn't know that all Carlos wanted to do was turn over and face Jay, and cuddle him until he could never be sad again. Of course, that never happened though. Carlos would just remain silent as Jay held him, hoping that maybe just being with him would help. Jay only ever came to him when it had been an especially bad day with his father, and Carlos was always too scared to speak up and ask what happened. So instead he would allow sleep to take over, and every morning when Carlos woke, Jay would be gone, leaving a pang of sadness clawing at his heart.

The security guard turned in his chair, facing the door and all four teens ducked aside to remain unseen. Once they figured the guard was facing away again, they carefully peered through the windows again. That was when Carlos noticed the artifact on display in the center of the room. The sign read, "Maleficent's Spinning Wheel".

If Carlos was being completely honest, it wasn't anything exciting. It was old and the wood was cracked. It looked like any other spinning wheel in the world, just ten times more basic. No one would ever believe that Maleficent created such an embarrassing thing.