Chapter 7

-couple of months later and Carlos is back home with his mother and Mal, Jay and Evie are friends with Carlos-

It was like any other day on the island. Clouds loomed overhead, the soft wailing of a baby could be heard in the distance, and everyone on the streets either had a sneer or grimace on their face. Needless to say, the Isle of the Lost wasn't the nicest place in the world, but to Carlos it was home.

He woke up that morning to his mother's cackling in the next room over. He could hear her muttering nonsense to someone who was most likely the dog skin she wore around her shoulders. Carlos sighed and sat up in his bed, rubbing his eyes. His mother would be leaving the house in no time to go find her other villain friends, leaving Carlos to do whatever he wanted for the day, which of course, was fine by him. He blinked a few times, letting his eyes adjust to the bright morning light creeping through his window.

Stretching, Carlos rolled out of bed to start his day. The thing was he had no idea what this day had in store. He was completely clueless to the life-changing task he was about to take on. So he simply pulled on his clothes and tried to make it out of the house without his mother demanding he do some stupid chore for her, just like he did every morning.

Also like almost every morning, the first place Carlos went was Jay's house. Jay had a habit of sleeping in late, which would be fine, except he got angry whenever he missed out on swiping a few things from the village first thing in the morning. So, Carlos took it upon himself to wake up Jay every morning; which was not an easy task.

Barely anyone was out that morning, but as Carlos walked down the street he saw a few people hurry around and a couple kids trying (and failing) to pickpocket an old man. The kids reminding him a little of when he and Jay were younger and less experienced. Chuckling to himself, Carlos put his hands in his pocket and turned the corner to find Jay's before him.

As he always did, Carlos snuck around the back finding a certain barely-cracked window. Pushing it open, he looked in to find Jay fast asleep, snoring lightly in his bed. Carlos smiled a little at the sight of his sleeping friend. Sure Jay would find it completely creepy if he ever found out, but what he didn't know wouldn't kill him. Besides, Carlos couldn't help it. The only time he ever found Jay in this peaceful of a state was when he was asleep. And although he could never admit it to himself, Carlos loved seeing him at ease, without a scowl or sneer on his face. It was even better when he was smiling, whenever Jay smiled, Carlos felt giddy in his stomach.

Shaking his head quickly, Carlos tried to rid those thoughts from his mind. It was weird and wrong, everyone told him that. But Carlos couldn't help it when Jay looked at him and his heart skipped a beat. Still, Carlos tried to shake off those feelings whenever he could. It was one thing to do something bad, but it was another to do something even a villain believed was wrong.

Carlos mentally scolded himself for staring at his friend while he slept. Swinging himself into the room, Carlos landed with a plop on the end of Jay's bed, causing Jay to bounce up a little. It was enough to get him to stir, which Carlos took as a victory. It often took forever to wake his best friend up.

"Jay, come on, get up," Carlos said.

The only response he got was Jay groaning and turning over in his bed, trying to face away from Carlos.

"Dude, come on," Carlos said shaking his shoulder a little, "The girls are probably already waiting for us."

Jay sat up slowly, clearly upset about being woken up (as he always was) and mumbled a quick fine. He shoved the covers off himself and got up stretching, letting his shirt rise a little over his midriff. Carlos's eyes quickly darted to the floor, knowing if he looked he would stare. He was just thankful Jay decided to wear sweats and a tee shirt to sleep; Carlos had had one to many blushing reactions to Jay getting up in just his boxers. Thankfully Jay had never noticed his reactions, nor had he ever noticed how Carlos always tried his hardest to stare at the floor whenever he changed.