Welcome To The Foundation

The room was small and bare, save for a bed and a small table with my welcome notice laying on the surface as well as a small toilet and sink. Not that I expected luxury upon my arrival. The Foundation's higher-order staff did not even provide me with an official uniform, leaving me in the ill-fitting, orange-coloured prison jumpsuit all prisoners must wear. My name is William Erikson and I shouldn't be here. Or at least my name was William Erikson. According to my welcome notice, my name was now D-7465. Upon my arrival at the SCP Foundation, I was stripped of my name and assigned a number, a most dehumanising experience. My first day here and I already hated this place with a passion. I wasn't meant to be here, sitting on the bed in this small, uninspiring room. I was supposed to be back home with my family, beginning my second year at college. My parents were proud of my decision to go to college and study media. They always believed I had potential. Maybe I had potential. If it weren't for that party. It was my best friend's, Rodney's, 23rd birthday and a night of fun and celebration turned to one of bloodshed, pain and even death. And the night was allegedly my fault. As the drunken guests had started to leave and head home, an unknown person who wasn't even invited, entered the house and murdered Rodney, leaving no trace of their presence. Despite I had no concrete evidence, I could almost say with a certainty that it was Rodney's next-door neighbour, Lucas, who envied Rodney's wealthy family and multitudes of friends. Being upstairs at the time of the crime, I was framed for Rodney's murder, the law dictating that I had killed him in the middle of a heated argument. They saw it only fitting that I be placed on death row for my heinous crime. That was until the Foundation intervened. The SCP Foundation recruited prisoners who were soon to face their imminent deaths and assigned them as Class-D personnel. All a Class-D personnel had to do was assist with experiments involving entities known as SCPs for one month and if no experiment led to their demise, they would be released back into the community.

I had immediately volunteered, craving freedom more than any person in that forsaken prison. However, I now have my doubts. What if I die during my time here? What if this was one large elaborate hoax, a final act of cruelty before we were all slaughtered? The very thought made my skin crawl but my thoughts were interrupted when the door to my room suddenly slid open. In the doorway, stood a Foundation guard, donned in a white uniform, complete with a helmet and most threateningly, a rifle.

"D-7465, you are to report for a mandatory tour of Site 19," the armoured guard almost barked at me, "Please step out of your cell."

I nodded slowly and stood up, taking slow, cautious steps towards the doorway. When I was almost to the door, the guard swiftly leaned in and grabbed my arm with a gloved hand, roughly pulling me out of the sanctity of my cell.

"Come on! I don't have all day!" the guard snapped. "Please report to the lobby for your briefing."

I was going to tell him that there was no point using the word "please" seeing as he had been rude to me but thought better of it. A single bullet from his gun would silence my sarcasm. So, without a word, I followed him to the lobby, trying to shield my eyes from the constantly dazzling whiteness of the walls of the corridors. I was led through a series of these blinding corridors until at long last, we arrived at the lobby. A small clique of Class-D personnel were already standing in uniform rows with a researcher, a young woman, standing in front of them. With another rude push from my assigned guard, I joined the ranks and waited for our tour to commence.

"Welcome to the SCP Foundation, Class-D personnel," the researcher announced. "I am Doctor Ash and I will be your tour leader for today. I must warn you that some of the entities you will see throughout your stay at the Foundation may be disturbing to some and some of you may lose your lives for the sake of research. Those of you who survive the month shall return to the community and have your crimes pardoned. Throughout the duration of this tour, you are required not to speak and may only ask questions if you have your hand up. And before you ask, you may not see any of the SCPs housed here. You have to wait until experimentation for that. The tour begins now."

It seemed like any other tour as we were shown the various living quarters we were being housed in, cafeteria where our meals would be served, the shower areas, laundry and various other facilities designed to make our stay here more "comfortable" as they called it. The SCP Foundation seemed rather ordinary and in all honesty, boring, which sparked some confusion in me. It was until we entered an area designated the "Low Level Containment Area."

"This is the Low Level Containment Area," Dr Ash explained. "This is where we house SCPs that do not require complex containment procedures. Generally, you will only find Safe and Euclid level SCPs in this area."

"Euclid?" a Class D-personnel inquired, with their hand up, "What does that mean?"

"I might need to explain something first," Dr Ash said. "In this site, we house three classes of SCPs. Safe, Euclid and Keter. Safe SCPs generally require little containment and do not require high levels of clearance to access them. While they may pose a threat to human life, there are easy, effective ways to avoid their anomalous properties while others pose no threat whatsoever. Euclid SCPs, on the other hand, require stricter containment procedures but there are ways to avoid being harmed by one. That does not mean they are not dangerous and should not be taken seriously. SCP-173, for example, can snap your neck in an instant if eye contact is broken with it. Lastly, Keter SCP's are the most dangerous and require highly complex containment procedures. If a Keter SCP breaches containment, loss of human life is inevitable."

"Would that be SCP-173 over there?" asked one Class-D personnel, with a hand up.

He pointed to a large, steel door which had a sign adjacent to it, reading, "SCP-173. Euclid." Upon a closer look, there was a picture of the housed SCP but I wasn't able to make out its appearance from this distance.

"Yes, it is," Dr Ash answered. "You will become more familiar with 173 over the course of your stay. In fact, there is going to be an experiment involving 173 tomorrow in which three of you will be required. You will find out more tomorrow. Now, moving on."

We followed Dr Ash along with her two personnel guards through a series of doors until we came to a much darker area, the brightness of the walls dimming considerably.

"This is the High Level Containment Area," Dr Ash explained. "This is where we place our more dangerous Euclid SCPs as well as our Keter SCPs. No Class D-personnel are allowed in this area without permission or unless they are going to be involved in experiments with these SCPs. Having a Class D-personnel finding their way into the containment cell of SCP-106, for example, will never see the light of day again. If 106 doesn't get to them first."

"Haha! Radical Larry!" one of the guards laughed, nudging the other jokingly.

Dr Ash turned sharply towards them, looking rather infuriated, "We do not refer to SCP-106 by that name! You should know to take Keter SCPs seriously! That goes to you, Class D-personnel as well. Any personnel heard using such light-hearted, silly nicknames for any of the SCPs housed here will be reprimanded. This is not a game you are playing. This is real."