Epilogue

My hearing returned before my sight did. The sound of a heart monitor blared and I shifted my weight. Where was I? I groggily opened my eyes, my blurry vision taking a while to settle. I took in my surroundings. I seemed to be in a white, pristine room, laying on a bed, wires connecting me to a machine. It was a hospital room of sorts. The hospital gown I wore confirmed this. Was I still at the Foundation? I found my arm had been wrapped in a cast and my bitten leg had been wrapped with a bandage. My hands were covered in bandages too, over the decaying skin. They were healing me? But why? I had assumed the Foundation would have killed me. I had disobeyed orders and had staged an escape from Site 19. Whatever their reason was, I couldn't stay. I grabbed onto the wires confining me to the machine and was about to give them a good yank when I heard the door to my room open. Looking up, I saw a soldier stand in the doorway. Nine-Tailed Fox.

"You are to get dressed and report to Dr. Lancur's office," the soldier said, emotionless.

I sat in Dr. Lancur's office, my hands trembling. I had changed out of my gown and was put back into my torn, orange jumpsuit. Oh, how I hated this thing. Too big for my slight frame and baggy in various places. I wiped the sweat on my palms on my thighs. Was this Dr. Lancur going to announce my termination? What I had done was insulting to the Foundation. Not reporting to the evacuation  shelter. Containing Radical Larry when it wasn't my job. Trying to escape the Foundation. All crimes I was sure to pay for. The door behind me open and I turned to see a tall man with dark skin and a warming smile enter. Time for my verdict.

"Hello, Mr. Erikson," the man said, shaking my hand and sitting down in his seat, "I'm Dr. Lawrence Lancur. Head of Site 19. How are you feeling today?"

"Better," I swallowed. "I don't know what you gave me but I don't feel so bad anymore."

"You were in a pretty bad state," Dr. Lancur mused, flicking through some papers. "Bullet wound. Bruised hip. A bite from SCP 939. Decaying skin on your palms and wrist. No doubt the work of SCP 106. It's a miracle you're still alive."

"I'm wondering the same thing," I said, nervously.

"It's funny though. SCP 939 didn't breach containment. How you received a bite from it is a mystery."

"I made a wrong turn."

"Expected during a containment breach. You're a brave man. Even contained SCP 106 if our cameras are to be believed."

My breath caught and my throat felt tight, "I didn't mean to! I know it wasn't my place to re-contain him but I had to stop him! Somebody is dead because of me but he needed to be stopped or else..."

Dr. Lancur silenced me, "William! It's okay. Relax. You are not in trouble for containing SCP 106. In fact, we thank you for it. You did the right thing."

"What?" I was confused.

"If you hadn't stopped him, we would have a higher death toll," Dr. Lancur explained. "He already claimed quite a few victims. Even killed one of our most respected doctors. He's a killing machine. One of our most feared SCPs with good reason."

"He told me something important though," I piped up.

"Told you?" It was Dr. Lancur's turn to be confused.

"Yes," I said, hesitantly. "He said he suspected Dr. Maynard to be a spy for the Chaos Insurgency."

"That is a theory we have," Dr. Lancur said, carefully. "We found a rather interesting transcript between SCP 079 and himself. As well as a provoking note. How you know of the Chaos Insurgency is beyond me."

"Radical.....I mean, SCP 106 told me about them," I quickly corrected myself.

"But SCP 106 doesn't speak," Dr. Lancur said, eyebrows raised. "We haven't heard so much as a peep from him. We're not even sure he understands human language."