Innocence

It was a miracle I managed to scramble away in time as the bullets flew towards me in coordinated bursts. My injured hip was doing me no favours as I rolled out of the path of the assault and lunged towards the button to open the door. Why were they shooting me? I was no SCP. I managed to make it through the door and closed it behind me, forcing myself to my feet. A sharp pain shot through my hip and I cried out. I heard the boots of the soldiers marching towards the closed door on the other side so it was time to split. I broke into a forced run, a hand laid over my left hip, trying to put as much distance between them and I. Radical Larry was right once again. I should have run. Nine-Tailed Fox clearly did not value human life like I thought and would shoot on sight. Once again, there was truth to the words of one my greatest enemies at the moment. These were not good people. Why did he always have to be right? It was expected though. My "friend", Radical Larry, had been housed at this site for years and was exposed to the behaviour and actions of the personnel that pulsated with cruelty. Who was the real enemy?

I eventually stopped running, feeling certain I had lost them. My hip screamed with pain and I bit my lip, stifling any cries of agony that endeavoured to escape my lips. Feeling sick with pain, I noticed I was standing in front of a door housing another SCP. A read of the sign claimed:

SCP 035-Keter

Judging by my encounter with another Keter class SCP, I wasn't keen to have another taste of the danger presented by one but my always present curiosity compelled me to open the door with my key card. As I walked in, I took a glance at the picture of the housed SCP and was met with a white mask, commonly used for plays. There were two doors and I opted for the one on the right. As I entered, I realised it was a control room and not the room housing the SCP. There was a control panel and a glass observation window. I peered through the glass into a dark room, the walls and floor stained with red.

Blood, I thought, immediately.

I couldn't catch a sight of SCP 035 and was going to leave when I noticed a person standing in the room, facing me, SCP 035 on their face. I screamed and leapt back in fright. I panted and felt my heart rate pick up. This place never stopped scaring me. I thought I should try and talk to this person. I flicked a switch that allowed audio and moved towards the microphone. I opened my mouth to speak but the person spoke first.

"Hello?" a male voice said. "Can you hear me?"

"Yes," I answered. "Who are you?"

"That's not important right now," the man replied. "You have to help me. I seem to be trapped in this room as the door won't open. I tried breaking the glass with no luck. You need to get me out of here."

"Why is SCP 035 on your face?" I asked. "Did it latch on to you?"

"No, it was my fault," the man said. "I stupidly wandered in here and just felt this need to put this damn mask on. Now I can't get it off my face. It's probably doing significant damage to me. That's why you need to get me out of here. Please. I need medical assistance. I can't get it if I'm stuck in here."

I debated with myself. Letting this man out meant letting a SCP out. A Keter class at that. Who knew what this mask could do? But then again, I couldn't let this man suffer in the room. He was right. The mask could be causing him irreversible damage if I didn't act fast. I could just make out the orange jumpsuit the man was wearing and realised he was a Class D-personnel. I felt inclined to help out a fellow prisoner like myself but Radical Larry's words came to my mind.

"Murderers, rapists, paedophiles," he had referred to them as.

The worst criminals. I could be letting a potential murderer out and with barely any security present, their inclination to kill would be strong. But I could never let another person die. I located a door switch and pulled the switch down, the door in the other room lifting.