Escape

It was a slow walk out of Radical Larry's cell. My body had begun to ache and fatigue was settling on me, tempting me to indulge in a moment of slumber. I had been darting about Site 19 for an entire day, being hunted down by SCPs. My stomach growled with hunger as my mouth became parched and dry due to lack of water. I refused any sort of luxury. Sleep would leave me vulnerable and open to attack from SCPs and Nine-Tailed Fox soldiers while the chances of finding so much of a cracker was slim. The Foundation were rather pedantic about feeding Class D-personnel at the set mealtimes. One would have to be a researcher or a registered soldier with the Foundation to acquire privileges.

I trudged down various corridors, continuing my search for Gate A. Now that I had heard what I needed to hear about Dr. Maynard, it was time for me to continue finding an exit. Whether the Chaos Insurgency as Radical Larry had called them were planning an attack or not, I didn't want to have anything to do with it. I wanted The SCP Foundation out of my life. My daydreaming once again had nearly led me into trouble as I almost ran into SCP 096. The frightening creature was slouching down the corridor I was about to turn into, its long arms dragging across the floor. I was lucky that it was not facing me. I shuddered as I recalled its gruesome attack on the two Foundation soldiers; the tortured screams and the crimson splatters on the window. Their screams sounded in my head and quickly morphed into the ones belonging to the man I killed.

I didn't kill him, I reminded myself. Radical Larry did. Besides, I had to allow this man to die to save others. It was the right thing to do.

This did not provide me with much comfort. I scolded myself and dismissed such frightful memories out of my mind, turning back. I did not want to have an encounter with SCP 096. The ground began to shake again, the roars of SCP 682 resonating throughout the building. I was fortunate not to be among those who were involved in its re-containment. But new horrors awaited me. As I rounded the corridor, I came into contact with three soldiers of the Nine-Tailed Fox. I broke into a run as their guns began their attack on me.

"Class D-personnel spotted!" one of them barked.

I dodged bullets as I opened a door with my key card, seeking shelter inside. I doubted the soldiers carried an Omni key card like myself. I leaned against the door, breathing heavily, two doors on either side of me. I felt a stinging pain in my left arm and almost screamed in disbelief as I spotted the bullet embedded in my arm. During my frenzy, I hadn't noticed the pain but it stung intensely now.

"Get out of there!" I heard one of the soldiers bark from behind the door.

I stifled my cries of pain, hoping they would wander off. I realised the bullet had to go. Using my fingers, I dug into the wound, trying to remove the bullet from my flesh. I bit my lip as the pain seemed to increase, my fingers becoming coated in blood. It seemed to take a lifetime before the bullet finally became dislodged from my flesh, laying in my hand. I stared at it in disbelief.

This little thing, I thought. This little thing could cause so much pain.

I tossed it in anger, clutching my injured arm. I was becoming a mess. Decomposed skin on my hands and wrist, a bullet wound in the arm and the hip was once again re-joining in the orchestra of pain each of my wounds conducted. It was no doubt bruised. I went into the door on my left first. The room was tiny with only a small pedestal, a green ring laying atop of it. A quick consultation of my papers gave me mixed feelings. SCP 714 seemed to be useful in warding off memetic effects when worn but inflicted compulsion to sleep and reduced speed on the wearer. Not what I needed right now in my already fatigued state. The other door simply led to SCP 1025, a hard cover book titled, "The Encyclopedia of Common Diseases." My papers informed me it was more than what it stated. While in the "Safe" class like SCP 714, it used to be known as "Keter" class and any reader would contract the disease they read about.