Chapter 7 The New Girl

The members of The Half-paced Staircase didn't walk around school grounds unnoticed. They were one year our senior and Ryan was one of the most charismatic and authentic guys in school. He even charmed the teachers with his irresistible smile.

     I was startled when I found out that Ryan had been dating Izelle for about three months before I joined their group. It was surprising to see such a popular guy interested in such a reserved, behind the scenes type of girl.

     The day I joined their group was Izelle's birthday, and I only found out during lunch.

     “Melina meet my boyfriend Ryan.”

     “Hey nice to meet you.”

     “Greetings Melina.’’

Ryan showcased his deep love for Izelle on her special day. He bought a big bunch of Izelle's favorite colored flowers, and he waited to see her reaction after she opened the envelope which came with them.

     “Happy birthday Izelle.” She scrambled to open it and her doe-eyes lit up with excitement.

     “Tickets to see my favorite band in the whole world!” she yelled and jumped, which made her light brown hair bounce. She finally gave him a big hug. Ryan beamed with joy as he took in her reaction.

     “Izelle I feel so bad, I didn’t know today was your birthday, by the way thanks for inviting me over for lunch, I really appreciate it.”

     “Melina I don’t make a big fuss about my birthday and it is a pleasure to have you. Some lip balm?” She had a lip balm jar and I could smell fresh mint.

     “Thanks.’’ I noticed that her nails were each painted very uniquely in forms of landscapes. The landscapes from the letter…  

     Before I could ask her about it Cassandra walked up towards us with the other girl I hadn’t had the chance to meet yet.

     “Hi Melina, glad you could join us, I'm Elisha,” she introduced herself.

     “Hello, nice to meet you,” I replied.

     We took a seat on the wooden bench between the school buildings and Ryan left to go sit with his friends after Izelle blew him a kiss.

     Elisha pulled a gigantic chocolate slab from her bag. Cassandra immediately grabbed the chocolate from Elisha's hands and hugged it.

     “Spanish chocolate,” she said as she did a wacky little dance with it. Izelle danced along.

     “Oh Melina, you are a chocolate fan, right?” Izelle asked.

     I nodded with big eyes which made them all laugh. The massive slab was wrapped in an unfamiliar vintage-looking wrapper. I had never seen this brand of chocolate in the local shops.

“Well happy birthday Izelle’’ Elisha smiled.

I took my first bite; the milk chocolate was velvety and smooth and rich in flavor.

“Thanks Elisha, you know me well I don’t like too big of a fuss.”

     “Yes I know you prefer this chocolate over any cake.” She smiled.

     “You know me so well Elisha!”

     “Where did you buy it?” I asked.

Elisha explained, “The chocolate is originally from Spain. We train and breed Spanish Andalusians and well, we have Spanish contacts who supply us chocolates as a thank-you gesture.”