Chapter 23 The News

“Hi Jethro, how are you?” Cassandra waved and gestured for him to sit by us.

“Hi Melina, Cassandra, I am Jethro” He said shyly.

“Oh we’ve heard of you and your talent I’m Izelle and this is Elisha.” Jethro being a new Custodian was clueless, cute and charming.

“Nice to meet you two, your family helped me. I really like the colors you’re using on your horse there - their fantastic.” Elisha gave him a strange look as if she was determining his true motive.

“Thanks.” She said as she stood up and grabbed some more paint. He stared after her and smiled secretively.

“Tell me is there a music class I could take here?” he asked.

“Yes and I will introduce you to Ryan my boyfriend, he will sort you out” Izelle said. It would have been Izelle’s first sighting of Ryan after all the drama and she probably thought out a plan.

 It didn't take long for him and Ryan to become friends at school because they both shared the same flare for music. They hit it off the moment they met. It was odd for a guy that is a year younger to hang out with Ryan’s age group. He instantly became the newest girl-obsession because he was single, new and musical. Of all people this irritated Elisha the most.

     Cassandra invited me over that night to try and develop the photos she took on our journey through Destello. Her wardrobe was converted into her very own photographic studio. There were some pictures clipped onto a little line with colorful pegs. She was a big fan of black and white photos. Izelle must have asked her to develop that picture of her and Ryan. The walls were covered with collages of pictures and plenty of postcards from all over the world.

     She plugged her camera cord straight into the printer.

     “There is something wrong, it's not printing,” she sighed.

     She scrambled to find her laptop.

     “None of the pictures from Turquoise wants to display on here either,” she complained. There was nothing worse than lost photos.

     “Where did you get the camera from?” I asked.

     “Elisha and Izelle got it for me on my birthday last year,” she replied.

     After finally giving up on the photos, we retired to the lounge and watched some cooking show on TV, despite our disappointment.

     “I still want to open a dessert shop one day you know. Think of a name, can you Melina?”

     “You’re putting me on the spot what about.....don’t laugh you have been warned. What about The Pink Flamingo?”

     “The Pink Flamingo, I like that!” she smiled.

     “Really?” I was quite surprised. The front doorbell rang, and I could hear Lori greeting my mother.

     “I think your mother is here,” Cassandra said.

     I swung over my school bag and slipped my shoes on and gave her a big hug.

     “Good bye pink flamingo,” I laughed.

     “Good bye,” she pretended her arm was the flamingo’s neck and poked me. We laughed.

     “Hi mum.” I hugged her. I thanked Cassandra and her mother for having me over and we drove home. A good day turned out better when I saw a familiar face in the other car in our drive way. Why was my brother here? He watched my reaction closely, before he got out of his car and leant on the back of it.