Chapter 40 The Present

The memories of what I had been through and who I've lost, wounded my heart and I spent most days as if in daze. I was lost in thought, going through the motions one day, until I came back to reality when Tommy flinched and his sudden cry shocked me enough to snap back out of my thoughts. I asked a question to distract him from my embarrassing flinch.

     “So are you a local?”

     “Nope. I am on a job; it's kind of a secret. But if you have time to hang out sometime, I am here for two weeks. Here is my number.” I took the number and then applied the wax and strip to remove the last bit of hair on his left arm. It gave me a chance to think through what he just said.

     I responded, “Look, I'm sorry but I'm not really looking for friends right now, and besides it's against company policy to date clients.” I felt I needed to add the second excuse to try save his feelings.

     “Oh come on, when do you get off today? Am I your last client for today?”

     “Hold on, don't get up yet; I have to apply soothing cream.” I said, stopping him from trying to leave. I quickly rubbed it over his slightly red arms and then said, “All done now, but to answer your question, yes I'm busy today, and no I'm not interesting in catching up after work.”

     He look dejected, but in a flash his smile was back, it was almost as if I'd seen that smile before.

     “Well it's a shame I can't convince you otherwise, I've actually got a river rafting competition today just before sundown at Twin Falls River, it'd be great to see you there. Anyway, I hope you have a good day. See you later!”

     He rushed which made me rush too. I opened the door for him to leave and absent minded replied, “You too, see you later!”

     What had I done! I didn't mean to say that, but before I could correct myself he'd already left, shouting,

“Great! I'll see you there!”

     “No, no, no! I didn't mean I could go!” But it was too late, he'd already left.

     I didn't let it bother me too much because it was still unethical to become involved with clients. I would never hear the end of it, even befriending females was a no-no. And even then, there was no way I'd get the time off today, we were too packed. I went out to check what I had on next and it said “Lunch” I was proud that I made it halfway through this day. I blew out sigh of relief. I cheerfully walked to the staff room to get my lunch. I opened the fridge and heated my meal up I brought Tuna Mayo and corn pasta leftovers from last night. I also had an apple, a rice bar and a sparkling cranberry and grape drink. I went outside to eat my food under the outside gazebo and took a seat on the brightly striped orange chairs. Crystal joined in soon after.

     “Crystal how is your day going?” I asked.

“Pretty busy, but it makes the day go faster,” she said.

     “Crystal, I love your necklace where did you get it from?”

     “I made it,” she replied in a soft tone trying not to make it sound like she was bragging.

     “It's gorgeous,” I said blowing the steam from my food. It was like a scarf but instead of thick material it had a thin leather string and had gorgeous beads and feathers at the end which looked like a choke-chain, with the long ends with the feathers dangling on her shoulders. I opened my drink and Crystal saw my bracelet and responded.

     “Melina, but your bracelet is just as gorgeous. What do all the little charms mean?”

     “This bracelet means a lot to me; it was one epic vacation. It is a friendship bracelet and we put on a charm for every memory we had that made us laugh or a great experience.”