Erwin's riding face: priceless

Commander Erwin and I were sitting down to lunch when we got the news. I had decided to meet with him today to tell him the truth about us. I was still collecting my thoughts, unsure of how to break the news to him.

I was sipping on water when Petra burst into Erwin's office.

"Sir!" She salutes. "I am reporting a hoard of titans near the Shiganshina district!"

I practically inhaled the water. As I choke, Erwin leaps out of his chair and starts pounding me on the back between my shoulder blades with those massive bear paws he calls hands. My face turns redder as I realized that Petra was still here, watching as the scene unfolded. My coughs died down.

"Really, Erwin. It's better. You can stop now."

He leans down an whispers in my ear, " I'm just glad you're okay, babe."

It's worse than I thought. He's already using pet names.

"Everyone is to meet in the courtyard immediately." Petra continued. "Especially higher ranking officers. There have been variants reported."

It was my turn to leap out of a chair. Erwin followed, closing in at my heels.

I ran to the barracks, and equipped myself with 3DMG. As big as the propellant tanks were, they were surprisingly lightweight. I was fastening the belt when Erwin reached over and pulled on the strap. The belt cinched tightly about my waist. He ducked down and began fastening the straps on my legs. I would try and bat his hands away, but he'd bat mine.

Good grief, Erwin. I may be the size of a five year old to you, but I assure you, I am capable of dressing myself after twenty five years of existence!!!

It made me want to pull my hair out.

"Erwin, I know now that this is a bad time to talk, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't tell you this and you died out there -"

He put his hands on my shoulders. "I've been wanting to tell you something, too."

He knelt down in front of me and pulled out a little square box.

Please, God, tell me this is NOT happening!!! Why!? Why must this happen to me!? Here's a young, successful man that actually cares about me, and I feel NOTHING for him!

I started crying.

He grabbed my hand.

"Rukia, will you do me the honor of sharing my life, my name, my love?"

He just did it.He proposed. Oh, my God. Please make it stop.

I started crying harder.

"That's just it, Erwin. I can't." I said between sobs. "I really didn't want to lead you on. Really, I didn't. I respect you, and I admire you, but I don't share the same feelings you do. I wanted to give you a chance, try and fall in love with you, but I haven't. I don't want to lie to you or myself. I'm so sorry that things had to end like this. I still want to call you my friend, so please don't let this cause a problem between us."

He still sat there, shocked.

"Of course. We will always be friends. May I ask, is there someone else involved?"

"No, there is no other guy. I remained faithful. There is one favor I must ask of you. Please don't die out there."

I leaned down and kissed him on the forehead. Then I grabbed his hands and pulled him up off his knees. I hugged him one last time, and I walked off to the courtyard.

"I won't," Erwin whispered.

Levi's point of view.

I was just on my way to the barracks when the door creaked open.

Blondie walked out, tears streaming down her face.

What the heck?

I waited until she was well down the hall, and I went inside. Erwin was standing there, shock across his face. He was holding a rather expensive looking box in his hand.

I put two and two together.

He had proposed to her, and she rejected him. Maybe it was someone else in her life that made her say no, but obviously she did not love the Commander. Obviously it hurt her to hurt him.

Wow. This is pretty serious.

Was that what she needed to talk with Isabelle about? That was pretty important. For once in my life, I felt like a jerk.

Focus. Here's the perfect opportunity to take care of business. Remember the task that you were given.

Someone else came in to grab their 3DMGs and then, a sea of people flooded in.

And the chance is gone.

Rukia's point of view

We were all mounted on horseback now, sitting at the base of the wall. We awaited Erwin's orders.

"As you are all aware, there have been reports of Titan activity just outside the wall of the Shingashina district. We are to run an expedition outside of the wall and exterminate the problems. There are no attacks reported yet, but the peoples safety comes first. We do not know how long this will take. Pack some overnight gear. Ration things out. We need a light load. And remain vigilant. Keep an eye out not only for yourself, but your comrades. Have each other's backs. Your survival depends on it.
" Of course we will have two left and right flanks. The special operations squad will be in the middle. Whatever conflict arises, do NOT break formation.
We do not tolerate anyone disobeying orders nor do we tolerate cowards."

We heard the metallic scraping as the wall's entrance was lifted.

"They're opening the wall! Let the Thirtieth expedition beyond the walls begin!" Erwin trust his arm in the direction of the gate, and spurred his horse on.

"Hyah!" I clicked my tongue and flicked the reins. My horse reared and whinnied. I had to grip the saddle really tight with my thighs to avoid falling off. Her hooves hit the ground, and we were off.