Chapter 3

After about 14 hours of driving later, I looked up at the huge, metal gate between me and an even larger mansion. It had everything you'd expect from the wealthy. A long driveway, a fountain in the center of it, the porch circled all the way around the house, and two detailed pillars aside the incredibly, dubious cream double front doors.

I felt the butterflies starting to fly nervously in my stomach and I prayed I didn't throw up. I rolled down my window and pressed the button on the gate's call box.

"May I help you," an electronic sounding voice asked.

"U-uh I'm Lydia Haynes...here to see Mr. Haynes."

A few seconds of silence went by before the gate door began to slid open. I breathed a sigh of relief and drove up to the house.

I turned off the car and tried to mentally prepare myself.

"Oh hi, I'm your daughter that you haven't even bothered to see for five years. Mind if I crash here?"

I sighed at how stupid I sounded and got out. Walking to the front door, my hands started to shake and get clammy.

Calm down Lydia, calm the fuck down..

I gave myself a once over, making sure I looked at least presentable. I wore my white knit off-the-shoulder cardigan, a pair of dark wash jeans, and my gray vans.

Not bad.

I ran a hand nervously threw my unruly strawberry blonde mane, trying to tame it a little before knocking on the door. I took a step back and admired the porch I currently stood on. Damn, even the wood looked expensive.

My attention went back to the door as a middle-aged man in a tailored suit opened it.

"Hello." He said with a smile. I heard a bit of a British accent in his voice and hinted he was a butler or servant of some sort.

"Hi, I'm here to see Mr. Justin Haynes." I replied, surprised my voice was so calm.

"Do you have an appointment?" The man asked, looking he up and down with a look of distaste in his eyes.

Guess I'm underdressed..

"I-I'm a bit of a surprise visitor, you can say." I bit my lip and expected to have the door slammed in my face.

The man looked at me again and stepped back.

"Come inside Miss, I'll get Mr. Haynes for you."

I smiled and thanked him. He shut the door and asked me to stay in the foyer before going to get the man I was searching for. I looked around and my eyes were drawn to the crystal chandelier hanging above me. I saw family photos on fancy, mahogany tables leading to a winding staircase that led to who knows how many rooms.

"Wow.." I breathed.

"An unexpected visitor you say?", I heard a deep voice boom. My body tensed up at the sound of his voice. I swear I'd heard it a million times before and it felt like a dream to hear it again.

Just then, a tall man came around the corner being followed by the butler from earlier. He also had on a suit, much more expensive-looking than the butler's. His salt and pepper hair was styled in a business look and his green eyes were trained on me.

"Hello, Miss." Mr. Haynes welcomed me.

"D-dad?" I replied, not knowing what else to say.

He froze and his whole demeanor changed. A mix of emotions flooded his eyes: confusion, shock and most of all hurt.