Chapter 9

Lydia's POV

"Oh my god, Lydia where the fuck are you? Why'd you leave? Are you okay?" Chris said, rambling off questions left and right.

"Whoa, whoa, calm down. I'm fine. I'm not telling you where I am, I'm happier and safer here."

"Safer from what?"

When I don't answer, Chris chews on his lip, looking at his closed door every two seconds to make sure no one was coming.

"Mom's been going out of her mind. She's been thinking the worst things imaginable about what might've happened to you." He says quietly.

The guilt that has settled inside me, rattles at his words. "She has?"

He nods and sighs. "She hasn't even moved since you left, she just lays in bed and reads your letter over and over."

Tears threaten to spill and I will myself to keep it together.

"Lyd, please come home. We all miss you and are really worried." He says, my mother's shade of blue eyes looking at me from my laptop.

"I can't. I'm sorry but I can't. I wish I could explain everything but I-I just can't."

Chris sighs. "It's some messed up shit isn't it?"

"Beyond messed up shit."

Should I tell him? If I do will he tell mom? Or worse confront Shane?

My subconscious stops all the racket in my head: You can't tell him, he'll go absolutely crazy and maybe even kill Shane.

I sigh deeply knowing she's right.

"We can't be on long, I don't want you to get caught talking to me," I say.

Chris nods. "Right okay. But Lyd, please come home, we miss you."

I ignore the stinging in my eyes the best I can before speaking. "I miss you too."

He begins to say something else, but I end the call before he can. Slumping back in my chair, the emotions inside me rack through my whole body as tears stream down my cheeks.

**********

Sorry I'm just now posting this. I started writing this...3-4 weeks ago, (wow I haven't been on in a while) and a lot of things, family issues etc., came up so I was unable to finish until now. I'm really sorry I hope you guys aren't mad at me. I love you all✌️