Epilogues and Reunions

"...and they lived happily ever after. The end." Dave closed the book and rubbed his eyes. This was the fourth time this week he had read "The Little Sea Dweller." He didn't mean any offense to the book, it's just repeatedly reading it got boring after a while.

"Read it again Dad!" The little troll happily exclaimed as she snuggled into her blankets some more. With her nubby horns and messy hair, she looked like a clone of Karkat. And in a way she was.

It was a genuine miracle really. Dave thought he had lost all hope of ever having a family. All the dreams of having a little child to his and Karkat's name just vanished. But thankfully, Kanaya was prepared. She took a page out of her Ancestor's book and saved some of Karkat's genetic material, just in case. Of course there needed to be two more trolls involved in this mix, Karkat's kismesis and matesprit. But since Dave was a human and his material couldn't be used, Gamzee willingly donated his some of his. Sollux, seeing as he and Karkat had that odd vacillating relationship, donated a smidgen of his own as well. One egg later and Camber Vantas had hatched.

"Sorry Camber, you gotta get your little rump to sleep. Or else Auntie Kanaya's gonna saw me in half if she finds out I kept you up later than intended." Dave stood up and leaned down to kiss his daughter's forehead. "Night little dude, yell if you need anything."

"Wait! Dad!" The little troll scampered out of her covers and over to Dave. "I gotta tell you something super important!"

"Cam, You gotta sleep. I don't a rainbow drinker on my a--butt." Dave picked up Camber and once more tucked her in. "Now stay in here before I get Kan and Rose in here."

"No! Dad it's about papa!" Dave froze. He turned around and leaned against the wall. Of course the Knight of Time had told his own daughter why there was a memorial monument of a dude that sort of looked like her in front of the Empress' palace. Of course he told her why her cancer sign was proudly displayed on flags all over the empire. Of course he told her why she had only one parent whilst other young trolls or humans had two or some had Lusii instead. Of course he told her about Karkat. Dave motioned for Camber to continue and his young troll daughter stood up proudly. "I saw him last night. In the dream balls...bubbles. But it was only for a minute! He looked exactly like me! Except his eyes were white, and he was a boy of course." Camber stated this information happily and Dave offered her a small smile.

Dream bubbles were still a thing, more frequent than before. Trolls and humans would often run into millions of versions of the heroes of their new, peaceful world. And even the luckiest ran into Karkat and his ancestors. Dave had yet to be that lucky. Even so, he smiled and patted Camber on the head as she continued describing her deceased father to him. When she finished he tucked her in once more, turned her night light on, and left her to rest.

Dave hadn't seen Karkat, in person, in six years. Sure he had the videos he had stored on his iShades but he longed to be able to see his loved one once more, he longed to be able to hold him and hear Karkat whisper sweet nothing's in his ear. Sure he also had the opportunity to see copies of Karkat in the dream bubbles but he wanted to see the real Karkat. Camber was the closest thing to Karkat that Dave had. It made his heart swell with joy knowing that their daughter got the gift of seeing her other parent with her own two eyes.

Dave thought of how happy Karkat would've been knowing that the little troll girl with the sweetest smile and biggest blood pusher on all the planet was his very own offspring. It was a thought heartwarming enough to make a smile tug at the corners of Dave's lips. He pushed the door to his room open and walked in. It was a fairly large room, covered in posters and photographs. His bed sported his childhood bedspread, a white blanket adorning hearts, spades, clubs, and diamonds.