2015 The_Magical_Yoshi's Honorable Mention: A Lillipup's Love

***This contains spoilers**

For my honorable mention, I've decided to pick A Lillipup's Love by Luminescence22.Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that this story didn't place. Out of all the fanfics I read, this one really stabbed some emotion into me, especially the ending, for example. Were most quthors would have tried to give the story a 'and they all lived happily ever after', Luminescence22 made the right call--I feel--by instead choosing to have Lillipup die before Rachel's very eyes than to reunite them. It was also one of the few that fit well into the short story format; most other entries seemed more suited to be lengthy fanfics than short stories, but this one really made a good use of the word limit.

Another thing I liked about about this story is that it shows the realistic 'love the puppy, ignore the dog' thought of many kids and teenagers, such as how at first, Rachel and Lillipup are inseperable, until time passes and Rachel gets older, thus finding other interests than her pet.

Though the story did seem to have a rougher start, what with giving an 'oh, woe is me' type of character, I feel the author did a good job of slipping out of that and continueing the story and ending it well. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if it was only a few points away from ranking. Any ways, good job to you, Luminescence22, and good luck if you decide to enter next year!