Chapter 8

For the rest of the night, I lay awake, staring at the ceiling.  Ethan, Grayson and Hunter were still playing video games and I could hear the shooting from their COD video game.

The clock reads 3:32 A.M.

My boredom is at an intolerable level, so I get up and walk over to my Ethan's room where they were playing video games.  Opening the door, I see Ethan and Hunter playing COD and Grayson sleeping on Ethan's bed.  I walk over to Grayson and snuggle up beside him.  He automatically moves his arms over onto my hip, resting them, hugging me and protecting me from anything and everything.  My back against his front, I wish I could stay here forever.  My nightmare comes back to me and I think of how one day our family will die.  Uhh.  I feel like slapping myself for thinking about this already.  Tears rush to my eyes and I look at the ceiling, hoping to lose some of the wetness before Hunter or Ethan notice.

My vision becomes blurry and not from the tears, but because I need to sleep.  I take up on this chance, closing my eyes and drifting away to sleep.

Just as I am about to go into a deep sleep, a bang and a shatter wakes me.  Grayson jolts awake as well, Hunter and Ethan looking around confused.  Ethan takes off his headphones, Hunter following him.  Grayson runs out of the room and into the hallway that separates all of the bedrooms.  Ethan follows his lead but walks out slowly.  Hunter and I are left in the room alone, and he looks at me.  I shrug my shoulders.

"Mom probably broke something," I say. 

"Maybe, I'm gonna go check." he replies.  He gets up from the floor and walks carefully out of the bedroom door.

I am left alone in the bedroom, shivering with fear.  Just as I am about to get up and go to find my brothers, something crashes through the window, and glass flies everywhere.  I am cut everywhere, on my face my arms, my legs, by millions of pieces of tiny glass.  I am paralyzed, surrounded by glass and can't move.  I feel a wetness coming from the cuts.  The blood feels warm, comforting almost.  A bomb-like something lies on the floor in front of me and white smoke comes from it.  I don't hear anything, only a beeping in my ears.  I don't feel anything but the blood and the small ache of the cuts.  And I smell... burning rubber?

In the distance I hear soft bodies fall to the ground, and I try to stand but I can't.  I try to move anything, I know that the bodies that fell had to be my brothers.  I start to feel drowsy and my eyelids suddenly get heavy.  I attempt to fight the slumber but am defeated as I am dragged to my sleep.

~~~

A scream pierces my ears and my eyes shoot open. I am laying on a cold, dark, cement floor. I look around the room, trying to see through the dark but can't see anything... weird. I have always been able to see in the dark ever since I became a vampire. I feel, almost, weakened.  I move my hands around, trying to feel for something familiar.  I touch a body, cold but still something.  The body doesn't move, and I move my hands up to the face.  The face feels too cold to be alive, and I quickly pull away.  I hope that person, or whatever that thing was, wasn't someone I knew.

In the far distance I see a faint light, almost nothing but still something.  I get up and only walk a few feet before something, someone, grabs my ankle weakly and make a filthy gurgling noise.  I pull my leg away from the body and quickly but carefully make my way to the light.

As I make my way closer to the door, the temperature drops drastically and I am utterly surprised.  I hear a soft murmuring coming from the other side of the wall and I stop in my tracks.  I stretch my arm out to find the wall, only to find nothing.  I walk towards what I hope is the wall slowly and quietly, praying that I will not step on any bodies to cause attention to the person on the other side of the wall.  I feel something under my foot as I step and look down.  With the brighter light now I see a rock under my feet.  I step over it, continuing to find the wall.  I step on another rock, then another.  Just as I am picking my foot up to take another step, my foot kicks the rock and sends it flying toward the wall I can now see in front of me.  It makes a sound from the contact and I cringe, hoping the voice didn't notice.  The murmuring stops immediately and I hold my breath, waiting for what happens next.