Chapter 10

"Where are they?" I ask again.

"You have to understand that I don't know.  I was left here just like you, but I got to meet the vampire that got me here." She admits.

"You got to meet someone here?"

"Yes, but he left to search for more food." She says.  Her tone is finishing and I know she doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

I feel my heart beating rapidly against my chest.  The vampire will be back.  God, please, keep my family safe.  If I was supposed to be food, that means that everyone else is too! 

I imagine Hunter being fed on, his bright blue eyes fading into a dark black, and his skin becoming pale and lifeless.  I have to save them.

"Do you know a way out of here?" I ask the little girl.

She looks at me for a few seconds before responding.  She murmurs something that I didn't understand, and its obvious that she's not supposed to talk about this.

"What?" I ask her.

"Yes," she exhales.  "But... this is very dangerous,"

"How?  You said they were out looking for food."

"There are security cameras!  And there are other vampires too!  You seriously think that they all just left for food?" She almost yells in the most evident tone.

I step back a little, finally understanding that this teenager stuck in a little girls' body is capable of much more than I thought.

"But what if... what if... we could still escape?" I ask, feeling stupid and nervous.  "Is it possible for us to find my family?"  I won't leave without them, so I better ask before I make any stupid decisions that she doesn't approve of.

She stares at me, lost in thought, and exhales again.  "I suppose we could try to escape, but finding your family is a definite no.  There are vampires everywhere, we can't risk our lives by stepping into the wrong room.  At least, what's left of our lives."

I guess I can work with that.  I will just have to rebel against her and find them myself after she gets me out of this place.

"Thanks... um, I don't think I asked for your name..." I stutter.

"Ashley." She says.

"I'm Summer."

She laughs a little at the mention of my name.  "Summer?  Ironic, isn't it?  Vampires hate the summer, well most of them.  The sun is uncomfortable for all of the full Vampires, and some half-vampires too." She giggles but then slowly stops.  "Sorry, I didn't mean to laugh at your name, it's just weird for a Vampire to name their child after the worst time of the year for them."

"It's okay, I wasn't offended anyway." I actually wasn't.  Many Vampire friends of my family mention that when they first meet me, and I've learned to understand that my name really isn't normal.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, eager to get out of this hellhole and find my family.  Just thinking about our humble home, our whole family, sitting together on the living room couch and watching a good film, laughing.  I crave that feeling right now, so much, that I would do anything just to actually be a part of it this instant.

"Your hearing has developed already, right?"

I assume she means the loud, intense, annoying voices that I can hear from all over town from every single person which freaks me out every time I hear something I wish I didn't hear and something my human friends don't have, so yes.

"Yeah."

"Okay, so I'll be incharge of leading us where to go.  And you will listen out for anyone." She looks down on the cement.  "I lost my great sense of hearing a while ago," She swallows.  "So be careful."

"Got it." I reply.

"Ready?"

"Ready."