Chapter 15: Cryptic Thieves

Hello everyone. c:  Wow, I've got yet another chapter for you all!  My lord, this is crazy!  I'm writing up a storm, haha! ♥ I just want to get a lot done before my practice tonight, as I've said...  But yeah. owo  I want to dedicate this chapter to fairytailnalu1. c:  You're such a good friend, thanks so much for all the complements!! :'D  You're awesome!!  Fan him if you haven't! Well, I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and sorry this one isn't three or four pages. ^.^; This is all I'll probably do today!  So, feedback is very much appreciated, and until next time~! (Most likely tomorrow. :P)

яу-¢нαи, тнє иαℓυ ωяιтєя ☆

==================================================

"Freed?!"  Everyone exclaimed simultaneously, shocked.

"You guys.."  Freed replied, surprised to see them as well.

"What're you doing here, Freed?"  Happy asked.

Freed crossed his arms.  "I'm here investigating the thieves that've been going around."

"Thieves?"  Natsu asked.

Freed nodded.  "Yeah.  Recently, there have been two mages - male and female - who have been attacking museums and monuments.  We don't know why, but the items they are taking seem to show they are preparing themselves for battle."

Carla froze, remembering the man and woman from her vision.

Is it just a coincidence?

"We never know where they will attack next, but people say they've seen them here.  So, of course, I went to investigate."

"I..um..."  Carla murmured, and everyone turned to look at her.  "I have something to tell all of you..."

"What is it, Carla?"  Wendy asked, surprised.

So, Carla dived into the premonition, decribing the two mages...however, she left out the part about Natsu.

"If Carla had a vision about these two, then it must mean they are going to be a problem in the near future."  Freed replied.

He turned to look at Lucy.  "So, you're search has brought you here, has it?"

Lucy nodded.  "But for the ruins, not from the sighting of those thieves.  I think..if I read them...I'll be able to have the next clue."

"Problem is, we can't read them."  Gray mumbled, his arms crossed.

Freed turned to the inscription.  "I'll decipher it, and then transfer it to our language."

Walking forward, Freed unsheathed his sword and his familiar purple symbols surrounded him.  Pushing them forward with his magic, a wall of symbols appeared in front of them, and Lucy gasped when she saw the words.

"Go ahead, Lucy."  Erza replied, and Lucy nodded.

"A long time ago, after the war of dragons, the dragons who hated humans were pushed back into hiding by the dragons who believed they could co-exist with humans.  However, only a few hundred years after the Dragon War, all dragons people either cared for or knew disappeared."

"Disappeared..?!"  Natsu murmured, looking at the wall of scriptures and following along.

"Natsu, that's just like what happened to our dragons!"  Happy exclaimed, and Natsu nodded down to him in awe.

"So this happened before?"  Erza murmured.

Lucy continued.  "However, there was a theory on where they disappeared.  People claimed to see them heading northwest, thinking that they'd come back but realizing afterwards they never did or never would.  One day, a specific man decided to go out and search for them.  When he had supposedly found the "Land of the Dragons", he set off immediately.  However, when he got to the location, the dragons were already gone."

"If you are--"

"Wait, Lucy."  Erza replied, and Lucy stopped reading.  "What're you doing?"

Lucy blinked.  "What do you mean, what am I doing?  I'm reading the inscription."

Erza shook her head.  "There's nothing after "already gone", Lucy."

Lucy eyes widened, and turned to look back at the scripture.  Her eyes were seeing something different than the rest of them.

Lucy continued to read more through her head.

If you are reading this, Lucy, then you have come far.

Rose's handwriting?  Lucy wondered, in awe.

Listen to me, I want you to keep going.  But there are enemies that await you, no matter who they are.  I want you to be careful, and head to the Land of the Dragons.  There, you will find dragons, but..perhaps the ones you don't expect to see.  One more thing, Lucy.  I guess I should tell you about what I said, back before I truly disappeared.  I need to tell you that I---

Lucy suddenly gasped, cut off from the message Rose had left for her.

"What is it, Lucy?"  Gray replied, and they looked at her with worry.

"R-Rose."  Lucy replied.  "She left me a message, but it suddenly disappeared, even for me!"

"What did the message say?"  Wendy asked.

Lucy repeated the message to her friends, distressed that the message was cut off before she could finish it.

What did Rose want to tell me?  Lucy wondered, confused.

"So there are enemies..."  Erza murmured when Lucy had finished.  "But who are they?  And why was the message cut off?"

"I should go report this to Master."  Freed replied, shutting down his magic and stepping past everyone.

Pulling out one of Cana's new teleporting cards, Freed turned back to them.  "I hope you guys make it there in time."

And with that, he disappeared.

"This is strange.."  Carla murmured, looking down at the ground.  "Who could we possibly have as enemies?  All we are doing is looking for Wendy and Natsu's dragons."

"Gajeel's, too."  Happy added.

Gray nodded.  "Why would we even have enemies?  What, is someone try to kill the dragons?"

Natsu clenched his hands.  "They'd better not."

"That perhas could be the case."  Erza replied, looking at them all.  "We've run into this before.  People who believe dragons are better off dead, if they aren't already."

"Which is crazy talk!"  Natsu exclaimed.  "Igneel would never hurt humans!"

"Neither would Grandine..."  Wendy murmured, and Carla tried to comfort her.

"I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, you two."  Erza replied.  "I'm just trying to figure out our enemies motive."

Lucy sighed.  "What are we going to do about them?"

"Well, if we run into them during our journey, we'll have no choice but to fight."  Gray replied, leaning against one of the many small boulders around.

There was a small silence.

Lucy turned back to look at the pictures engraved on the ruins, and couldn't help but walk forward and touch the cool surface.

And it just so happens that that's when she had her next clue.

Like the others, it flashed through her mind as quick as someone blinking, but Lucy had it mysteriously memorized as soon as it flashed away.  Taking a deep breath, Lucy turned back to her friends, and they knew she had gotten it.

She knew the way to the Land of the Dragons.

Finally.

.

.

.

.

==================================================

Finally, Lucy has the last clue to going to the Land of the Dragons!  But will her fears be realized?  Will the dragons be dead, or will their new-found enemies be there?

Find out what happens next in Chapter 16: The Last Clue!