Chapter 5

Calum's P.O.V.

My mind rolls through its thoughts as I lay in bed. Do I plan on getting up? Nope. I'm too fucking depressed. Why did Jade have to pick Mark. I'm so much more better for her. I treat her so well. I can see the look of desperation she has in her eyes every time he shows up. There is something up, I swear to god. But I keep choosing to ignore it.

    But, God. Jade is so perfect. I love the way she laughs and the way her eyes light up when she talks about something she likes and the way she gets so emotional during sad movies. I just want to hold her through everything. But I can't. She belongs to someone else.

    My thoughts overcome me as I pity myself and I don't hear my phone ring beside me for the first two shrills of noise. I pick it up and glance at the screen, seeing it's Jade.

    "Hello?" I ask into the speaker.

     "Calum!" I pull the phone away from my ear slightly because of her volume and chuckle. God, she's so cute.

     "Jade. Whatchya need?" She okay?

"Um, well, how are you?" She asked. She is definitely not okay.

"I-I'm doing okay. You good? You sound nervous."

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm okay?" Her voice raises at then end, making it more of a question than an answer.

"Okay... So...," I reply, trying my best to keep her on the phone so I can figure out what's wrong.

"Uh, I actually, erm, n-need to tell you something..."

"Okay. What is it?"

"I-erm, w-woke up! And now I want to talk to you!" I couldn't help but chuckle even though the situation calls for a different reaction. I should be concerned. I am, but I'm laughing at the same time. Curse her child-like cuteness.

"O-okay. It's nice to know that I'm your first thought of the day."

"Yeah...." I can practically hear her smile.

"But I know you too well. And we both know that that wasn't what you really wanted to tell me."

"Mhmm...," she mumbles.

"So, you wanna tell me?"

"I... I... No!" she yells. I hear shuffling, like she threw her phone at the bed. It's quiet for a while. I don't think she knows she didn't hang up. Then very faintly through the speaker, I hear a whimper. Then she's wheezing. And then the sound of her sobbing fills my ears, and it breaks my heart.

 She's crying like it's uncontrolled. Tears brim my eyes. I can't leave her like this, knowing she's in pain.

I hang up and immediately jump to my feet and race to my car, grabbing my keys on the way. I get in the car and start it, reversing out of the drive way and I speed down to her house.

~~~

I slam the door as I enter her unlocked house. I can still hear her crying, and my heart breaks once more. My legs carry me up the stairs to her room and I slowly open the door. First, I'm met with a sight I never thought I would see: Jade curled up and tears running down her face, still unaware of my presence. Her back jumping up and down in quick breathes, heaving. But then something else shows up in the worsening picture. Her body is painted with bruises. My eyes fill with tears and they fall over my cheeks as I watch the love of my life sobbing with everything she's got. I  could have never imagined that this what she wanted to tell me. That fucking Mark did this shit to her. My hands ball up into fists as the drops still fall onto the floor, in sync with Jade's. She's noticed me now, and she's crying harder. The realization that I know everything now. I've had my suspicions, but it would quite awkward if I was incorrect. But now, I know it's true and he's going to pay.