Dream a Little Dream - Dream 20

Chapter 20

“Susan? Is everything okay?” she heard sleep still in his voice.

“No.”

“What’s the matter?”

“This is wrong. I shouldn’t have called you.”

“Suse, talk to me. Please?”

“I’m falling in love with you. But I shouldn’t. I can’t.”

“I’m falling in love with you too. And yes you can.” Susan could hear the humor in his voice, “I hear I’m quite lovable.”

“You’re also quite full of yourself.” Susan said with a laugh.

“That too. Why can’t you love me?”

“Because.”

“Because why?”

“Because I still love Jack. Because I’m carrying his child. A child we longed to have. Because I planned to grow old with him and he was taken from me.” Susan’s voice began feeling tight and she fought the tears that were threatening to emerge. “Because you confuse me. I need to mourn and when I’m with you I don’t want to.”

“I see.”

“No you don’t, because if you did you would understand.”

“Why do you think I don’t understand?”

“Because you like getting me all confused. When I’m confused you chip away at my wall.”

“You’re cute when you’re confused.”

“Stop it. See what I mean. You’re all the way in Atlanta and you still make me all a flutter.”

“I make you flutter?”

“You know what I mean.” Susan could hear Jacob chuckle on the phone, “Stop it! This isn’t funny!”

“No, it’s not. I’m sorry.”

“I shouldn’t have called. Just ignore this.”

“Too late. I can’t ignore it. You’re falling in love with me.”

Letting out a sigh Susan replied, “Yes, I don’t know why right now, but I am.”

“Can we focus on that?”

“I’d rather not.”

“Well, I would.”

“And you always get what you want?”

“Normally.” Jacob took a moment and for that moment Susan thought that maybe he wasn’t going to say anything, “Do you know how long I’ve waited to hear the woman I love say that?”

“No.”

“My whole life. I’ve never told a woman, well other than my grandmother, mother and sister that I love them. And to have that love returned, I’m honored.”

“I shouldn’t have these feelings. I don’t know how I can do this to Jack. And to his baby. The baby needs to know that their mother loved his father. I can’t throw Jack’s love away now that I have feelings for you.”

“I’m not asking you to throw Jack away.”

“But I can’t do this right now. I need to honor him.”

“I know and I understand.”

“Do you? Jack was my everything and five months ago he was taken from me. Five months. I can’t be falling in love already. I don’t know what to do.”