Dream a Little Dream - Dream 7

Dream 7

Climbing out of bed, she went downstairs to the kitchen. The house was quiet with Shelly, Josh and the kids out to eat. Unwilling to think about food, yet feeling weak and needing to eat, she did something she hadn’t done since college, Susan fixed herself a bowl of cereal for dinner and sat down at the kitchen counter.

A stack of envelopes sat nearby. Thumbing through them, she realized it was condolence cards. She knew later she would need to send each person a thank you card, so she looked at the return address of each envelope. Seeing one with only an address and no name, and not recognizing the handwriting, she flipped the card over in her hand.

Why she opened this card, she was not sure, but something told her she had to. Her finger tore at the edge and ripped the thick paper open. Inside a letter fell out of the sympathy greeting.

Dear Mrs. Rusaw,

You don’t know me, but my brother was the driver in your husband’s accident.

Susan wanted to stop reading, but couldn’t, she had to know what this letter said... how they would defend a brother who killed her husband?

We have been trying to get my brother help for years. Getting him into some of the best and most exclusive rehab facilities was easy. Getting him to stay away from the alcohol was hard.

I am sorry that his addiction cost you your husband. Words cannot express the sadness our family feels towards your loss.

I know this is a difficult time for you. But, if you ever need anything, please don’t hesitate to contact me. No request would ever be too big or too small.

John Colson

Susan placed the letter back into the card and the card back into the envelope. Why would this man, the brother of the man who killed her husband, send her a condolence card? She thought maybe he was just trying to play on her emotions so that she would forgive his brother. Maybe even trying to get an easier sentence for his brother when the case went to court.

As far as she was concerned, his brother could rot in jail.

A cell phone rang and as she went to pick it up, she realized it was the one the police returned after the accident. Jack’s phone. She didn’t recognize the number and she really didn’t want to inform someone Jack had died, but then again, she didn’t want to return the call later.

“Hello.”

“Hello, I’m calling for Jack Rusaw?” The voice belonged to a woman who sounded like she was in her twenties.

“This is his wife, can I help you?”

“Mr. Rusaw placed an order with our store and we wanted to let him know that he can come in anytime to pick it up.”

“I’m sorry, what store?”

“Jade Jewelers, we’re located downtown on 3rd.”

“Yes, I am familiar with your store. Can you tell me the balance for the order?”

“Oh, Mr. Rusaw paid up front.”

“Will there be any problem if I come in and pick it up?”

“Well... Mr. Rusaw should really come in.”

“Mr. Rusaw was killed four days ago.” Susan said matter of factly, trying to will back the tears that fought her once again.

“I am so sorry Mrs. Rusaw. Please take your time and know that we have the piece when you are ready to pick it up.”

“Thank you,” Susan whispered losing the fight as a tear trickled down her face.

Hanging up the cell phone that she now clutched in her hand. She mindlessly went up the stairs to the master bedroom and crawled between the sheets in hopes of finding the comfort of her dreams and Jack again.

Standing on the beach in a tan suit Jack looked so handsome, she remembered this day as one of the happiest of her life.

They had graduated from college. With his degree in business and finance, Jack was now an up and coming junior executive in a large corporation in Susan’s hometown. Susan was waiting to hear back if she was going to be a publications editor for a small magazine. She had always paid attention to details and with a degree in journalism and a minor in English, this job sort of fell into her lap. If only she would hear from the owner.  

She walked towards him with a smile on her face. The wind was blowing, but her hair had been arranged in a loose bun on her head. Her dress was white lace that fell to her ankles. And she carried a small arrangement of gardenias and white baby roses.

The wedding was small and took place at sunset. Shelly was her matron of honor and Josh, who had become a close friend was Jack’s best man. Other than that, there were about ten friends in attendance.

Saying their, ‘I do’s’ as the sun’s last rays bathed the sky in orange, pink and purple had been Shelly’s idea, but Susan could not think of a more beautiful way to begin their life together.

The minister that they had started visiting in order to be married by a church, something Susan was sure her parents would have wanted, performed the ceremony. And as the stars began to twinkle overhead they heard him say, “Jack you may now kiss your bride.” And he did just that.

She felt the kiss in every part of her body. Her heart fluttered and her breath caught as Jack lowered his lips to her ears and whispered, “I love you my wife.”

“I love you my husband.”

The reception was short and sweet. Without a lot of fanfare, they took everyone to a nice restaurant overlooking the beach and left for their honeymoon within two hours after the vows were exchanged.

The next seven days on a private beach or more importantly, in a secluded beach cottage that Jack’s new boss owned, was incredible. They only left when they had to and they got dressed even less.

Making love on the private beach under the stars and in the pool and hot tub was enough to want Jack to install a pool and hot tub in their yard at home. That would need to wait until they had the bigger place he promised one night when telling her his idea for their future.

“Well, have a house that we can fix up and make it our home. You’ll get pregnant and,” he rubbed her bare stomach, “you will be a baby machine. What do you think of four babies?”

“I don’t know. I was thinking maybe just two.”

Jack leaned over and kissed her brow, “That can be up for discussion later. I want to give you everything. I want to give you anything you could want and I want to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. I love you!”

Susan reached up and caressed his face, “Oh baby, you give me everything everyday single day! You have made my life worth living. When my parents died, I didn’t know what to do. But you were there. My rock. My love.”

“Darlin’, I’m gonna give you the world! I promise!” Jack promised as he pulled Susan close.

“Right now we have the stars,” Susan whispered as she fell into his embrace on the blanket they had brought out to the beach.

The first thing on Jack’s todo list when they returned home was to see about installing a skylight in their bedroom, above their bed.