Chapter 1

6/26/13

Hey everyone! So this is my new book and I hope you enjoy it! I'm updating this a little later than I expected because I had to stay with my grandparents. They have no Internet! It was horrible! Anyway I hope you like this new story I'm writing :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~4 years ago~

Nadia's POV

"Happy birthday sweetie!!!" The voice I have grown very familiar with said to me causing me to awake from my slumber. I groaned and pulled the covers of my bed further over my head. I felt the bed dip as she sat down. "I can't believe it! My baby is finally a teenager!" she screeched causing me to groan again.

"Mom I'm not a baby! I'll be 13 at 10:37 tonight. Please just leave me alone!" I whined trying to get an extra 10 minutes to sleep. She yanked the covers off of my head, letting the light from the windows go straight into my eyes.

"Now Nadia, it may be your 13th birthday but you need to get up! You have chores to do. It's already noon," she said. I shot open my eyes and looked at my digital clock. Sure enough it was 12:01. I jumped up out of the sheets and stood in front of my mother. I gave her a huge hug and pushed her towards the door. "Alright I understand. You're a big girl now. I'll let you get dressed, but those chores better be done before tonight," she said right before I shut the door in her face.

Yup that's right. I am now officially a teenager! Well almost. Now I can throw a huge party with my friends! Oh wait, that's right, I don't have any friends. The only friend I have is my mother. That sounds really pathetic doesn't it? Well she's always been there for me. And she's all I've got. My father kind of abandoned us before I was born. I've never met him and I don't even know what he looks like. We have absolutely no pictures of him. Well anyway my mother is forcing me to go to this back to school party at the beach with all of the other new eighth graders. The beach is practically in my back yard, that's the only reason I'm going. That reminds me, I should do my chores.

I went back to my bed and made it. Then I went over and emptied my hamper into my laundry basket, along with my mother's clothes. Then I stripped off my pajamas and placed them in the basket. I raced into my closet and pulled out a t-shirt and some shorts. I opened my closet and walked towards my dresser. I picked up the brush and ran it through my shoulder length chestnut brown hair. I looked at my reflection and frowned. I hated the way I looked. My stupid squinty eyes I got from my father proved my Chinese heritage. Everyone at school makes fun of me. I don't fit in there. I wish I could just drop out. But I can't. I'm only 13.

I picked up the laundry basket and walked downstairs. I went over to the washing machine and dumped all of the clothes inside. I started the machine and went over to the fridge where a note from my mother was hanging.

Nadia I want you to do the laundry, wash the dishes, mop the floor, clean the fish bowl, and feed the fish. Oh and call me if anything happens!  Have fun at the party! Love, mom

What did she mean by 'Call me if anything happens'? Anyway I got started with the ridiculous chores. I ran some water and held my hand under the water waiting for it to heat up. I felt a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach but when I took my hand out from under the water it went away. "Well that was weird," I said to myself.

After I finished washing the dishes, I went to mop the floor. When I put the water in the bucket, the weird feeling returned. As soon as it had come, it went away. "I hope I'm not getting sick," I muttered. I looked over to the fish bowl and spotted my pet rainbow fish Rayne. I walked over to the bowl and smiled at her. Then she smiled back at me. Wait. Did I just say she smiled at me? I looked back at Rayne and saw she wasn't smiling at all. "Maybe I am getting sick," I said as I went to finish my chores.