Chapter 7

7/31/13

Nadia's POV

"Hello?" I called into the bathroom. I was returned with silent whimpers. I rounded the corner to where the stalls were, following the noise.

I opened each stall door in hopes of finding the noise but they were all empty. I came to the last one where the whimpering was the loudest. I tried to open the stall but it was locked. "Hello?" I called again.

"Go away," the voice from inside replied. The girl inside the stall sniffed.

"I just want to help you," I said to her, hoping she would open the stall.

"I don't need your help," she said quietly. I had to get inside this stall if I was going to help her. A smirk crossed my face.

"Alright, suit yourself," I said. Then I started singing my song, so quietly she wouldn't hear me.

Way out on the sea

Past the horizon line

Please unlock the door

So I can help who has been crying

Who has been crying

I heard a click and assumed that my song had worked. I slowly pushed the door open to find the girl sitting on the floor. Despite the streaks of mascara running down her face, she was beautiful. Her hair was redder than red velvet cupcakes and her eyes were as brown as chocolate. The whites of her eyes were bloodstained, signaling she had been crying for a long time.

"H-how did y-you do that?" she asked between sobs. She looked right up to me, our eyes meeting. And that's when I noticed the razor in her hand and the cut in her wrist.

"Have you been cutting yourself?" I asked rhetorically. She burst to tears. I bent down to rub your back. "You do not have to do this to yourself."

"I know but I can't help it," she wailed. I sat her up and leaned her against the toilet. I took the razor from her hand and threw it in the trash. I walked back to her and sat down in front of her.

"Give me your wrist," I told her. She did what I said and handed me her wrist. I cover the cut with my hand and sang my song. After I was done singing I removed my hand to show her the healed wrist.

"Are you a witch like me?" she asked. Oh so she was a witch. I shook my head no. She didn't ask anything else but said, "I'm Veronica Spellbinder."

"I am Nadia Silvermist," I said. "So do you know Kimmy Fang?"

"Yes," she said wiping the running mascara from her face. "She's my best friend."

"Well I just met her and she seems really nice. Do you think you could help me find my classes?"

A smile lit up her face. "Sure."

"Could I ask you something?" I asked. She nodded to me. "Why were you crying?"

She sighed. "Well every year I fail Witching 101. I'm not as good as everyone else. Some people say I'm a little slow. But that's only because I have ADHD and can't focus. I was crying because the witches in my grade keep teasing me and making fun of me," she explained.

I nodded my head in understanding. "Well if it makes you feel any better I am in Witching 101 and I am a junior like you. They only thing is, I am not a witch. I am a mermaid."

"A mermaid?" She asked standing up. I stood up to and walked out of the stall to the mirror. She followed and turned the sink on, wetting a paper towel to remove the left over mascara on her face. "You're the first one!"