Chapter II: Artistic Experiments

Do not abandon wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will keep you safe.
Proverbs 4:6.

Ezra.
I didn't get enough sleep last night and now I have to listen to my worst teacher blab about some microscopic unicellular organism that I do not even want to know about.

Ms.Olontayo a.k.a Sparamecium.

It's normal for JV students to nickname their teachers. I mean, no one likes Sparamecium.

I remember the day I heard that name. A bunch of seniors were talking about her in my dorm. The name was derived from her 'favourite' clothes; a vomit green native printed shirt with puffed sleeves and a vomit green skirt.

I survey the class, all heads are down, pens moving over paper as they copy the note on the smart board before Sparamecium scrolled down on the laptop connected to the board.

I drop my pen and breath out. So tired.

"Allen! Why are you not writing?" I knew her silence wouldn't last long. Sparamecium bears a special hatred for me and I always let her know the feeling is very mutual.

"My hand is paining me, ma." I reply.

She lets out an irritated grunt and turns to scroll down on the laptop.

I look around the class again. All heads are down but not everyone is copying the note. Those writing aren't even the brain boxes. Half of the class is sleeping, others are playing. Only a few students remain faithful to copying their biology note.

Among them is a newbie.

Naomi.
14 years locked up. 11 years home schooled.

Now that i'm out, all I can think of is getting perfect grades. Meaning no distractions.

14 years locked up and boys should be a distraction.

I'm so deep in concentration that I almost jump out off my chair when a paper airplane lands on my locker.

I pick up the plane and peer at it for a second. It has something scribbled on it: Experiment 1...please open.

I carefully unfold the paper plane and read the neatly scrawled words in it.

Wanna do something fun?

I look around the class for the creator of the plane but all heads are down.

Another airplane lands on my locker, this one is tagged Experiment 2. I unfold it.

You in?

I look around the class again and catch a pair of beady black eyes staring at me. Strands of curly black hair plaster his forehead and covers his eyes. He makes no attempt to brush them off.

I shrug and point at Ms.Olantayo. He sighs and looks away. I do the same and stare at my book, unable to keep writing.

Seconds later, another paper plane lands on my locker. Experiment 3.

Forget about Sparamecium. Come on, don't be chicken.

I turn around, stare at the boy daringly and nod. He grins, pearly whites flashing between pink lips.

I turn around and wait for Experiment 4. Experiment 4 glided smoothly down to my locker.

Take excuse and get the hell out of here. Meet me in the arterial.

I'm about to ask where the arterial is but the boy is gone.

"Excuse me ma."

Ms.Olontayo glares at me. I stand up and go to her.

"May I use the ladies, ma?" I ask.

She eyes me dirtily then grunts. "Don't go and sleep there."

I walk out of the class ignoring stares from my classmates. I walk down the empty hallways till i'm infront of the toilet door. Before I can open it and go in, the door opens and i'm pulled in, a hand clamps over my mouth.

"Calm down, it's only me." A voice hisses.

I stop struggling though i'm still contemplating between bite or wait. Bite seems like a preety good option.

"Promise you won't scream if I let go." He says.

I nod. His hand leaves my mouth, hovering dangerously close incase I decide to change my mind.

"This isn't the arterial." I hiss.

"I know, but I figured you wouldn't know the place."

***
I'm pretty embarassed when I find out the arterial is only a few doors from my class.

The room is empty, including the offices. I guess no one is having art practicals at the moment.

I watch as the boy whose name I don't bother to ask glides around the room picking up jars of paint and setting them on a table. When he's done, he beckons for me to come over.

I stand beside him and watch as he brings out plastic balls from his pocket, opens them and sets them on the table.

"What exactly are we doing?" I whisper yell.

He places a finger on my lips, shushing me. He smirks at my bewildered expression and gets back to work. I feel a blush creep up my neck to stain my cheeks.

He fills each plastic ball with paint and hands them to me. When he's done, he turns around and beckons for me to follow him.

I follow him down the hall and stairs into the biology lab.

"Can you tell me what's going on?" I ask.

"Paint traps are a fun way of starting the session, yes?" He grins, takes the balls from me and rushes into one of the offices.

"Sure." I mutter.

I wait outside, nervously looking around. Mystery Paint Boy is out soon with a satisfied grin.

I follow him upstairs and walk into class while he slips in through the back.

"So you went to sleep in the toilet, eh?" Sparamecium, as Mysterious Paint Boy calls her, snides.

"Sorry ma." With that, i'm back on my seat.

***
Read/Vote/Comment.
Don't be selfish, share this book with your friends.

-Nickki28