#1- Cryptic: Era

“I don’t know if all of you know this, but it’s the one thousandth anniversary of the creation of the New States,” the Old States History Professor, Professor Maria Masters, says. I sit here, attentive enough, sketching new designs for hovers. “Mr. Stone, please pay attention.” My head comes up.

“Right. Sorry, Ma’am,” I say, putting down my pen.

“S’Alright, just don’t let it happen again. Now, if we’re going to learn about the creation of the New States, first we have to learn about how the United States, the Old States, was destroyed.”

Pretty much everyone over the age of ten knew about the United States, how it got destroyed, along with the rest of the world. That may be a tad of an exaggeration, but many of the countries back then relied on the United States, and after its death, many of the other countries fell too.

They were killing each other, and that’s how the Earth changed. After a Fifty- Five Year War, the world destroyed itself. Years were spent with people wandering aimlessly, living on what used to be the streets, while those who actually benefitted from the wars round up their own people to become a “better nation”.

And all because North Korea bombed the United States in 2030.

But Professor Masters is getting to that.

“In 1492, Christopher Columbus “found” the Old States. But this isn’t about him. It’s about what first caught the attention of other countries when the Old States was found. I’m sure you all know that the United States, though a worthy partner to be in alliance with, they made quite dangerous enemies very quickly.

North Korea was one of them.”

Everyone was sitting up now, listening intently. Finally, they probably thought, after months of talking about Christopher Columbus, and how the Europeans brought STD’s to the Old States and such, we’re getting to the interesting stuff.

“After the nuclear threats to the Old States in 2013, North Korea held its promise. Just not in the same year. In 2030, North Korea dropped approximately fifty bombs in multiple areas of the Old States, and a war started. As soon as that happened, many people decided to flee, going to airports to get away. The planes didn’t get far, because they were soon shot down by North Korean Fighter Jets.

The war started, and both the Old States and North Korea destroyed each other. And almost everyone in between.” Suspense. I lean forward, wanting to hear more, but just then, the bright blue light flashes as the end of class.

“We’ll talk more about this tomorrow,” Professor Masters says. Then, she smiles. SMILES!

I stand up, gathering my things and putting up my tablet. I stuff my sketches into my bag.

People leave the university on hovercrafts; boards, cars, skates.

Many of which I designed. But, no one but me knows that. Well, myself and the owner of a company that sells them.

I walk.

I live close enough here that I might as well just walk.

“Chandler!” A voice calls out from behind me. I turn around. Seraphim, my closest friend, puts his hand on my shoulder, smiling.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Guess who just asked me out?” I already knew the answer, but I asked anyways.

“Who?”

“Yasmeen. I’ve been waiting for forever. Of course, I didn’t think she was going to ask me out.”