Here I Stand, Part 3

Part 3

They looked good together.

Tom had spent most of the night watching Billy and Celes on the dance floor, staring into each other’s eyes. They’d looked so happy and so right together as they swayed to the swanky music. While still in the Delta Quadrant, Tal Celes had developed an affinity for ancient Big Band music, much to Tom’s delight, and the wedding reception’s holographic combo had spent the early part of the evening reeling off the classics: “Moonlight Serenade,” “In the Mood,” “Body and Soul,” “Take the ‘A’ Train.”

Later a smoky-voiced singer in a vintage tux had taken the stage for an even better set. Tom had found himself humming along with the opening notes of “I’ve Got the World on a String,” a wide, happy smile on his face. Surrounded by his closest friends, his beautiful wife cuddled to his side, Tom certainly felt as though all was right with his personal Universe.

He was still in high spirits hours later, strolling hand-in-hand with B’Elanna through the foggy streets just south of Golden Gate Park, past their neighborhood’s shops and townhouses, through the playground with the toddler swings that made Miral squeal with delight. Got the string around my finger, he hummed to himself, and smiled.

B’Elanna glanced up at him. “Did you say something?”

“Hmmm? Nope. Just humming. Thinking about the wedding.” He squeezed her hand. “It was nice.”

She nodded but said nothing. A little worried, Tom glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. She’d been too quiet since they’d left the reception with Chakotay and Kayma and Harry. Her face didn’t betray much emotion, but even that was a possible sign that something was on her mind, something troubling that she felt she couldn’t fix on her own. B’Elanna was a dive-in-and-take-charge kind of woman. No matter what the problem was, if she knew she could fix it she would, usually with enthusiasm and a fair amount of swearing. When B’Elanna got quiet and thoughtful…that was the time to really be concerned.

He wondered if something about the wedding was bothering her. “They looked happy together,” he offered.

“What does she see in that guy?” B’Elanna suddenly snarled.

Startled, Tom leapt to his shipmates’ defense. “He’s a good guy, B’Elanna. You just never really got to know him. He’s a little…neurotic sometimes, but deep down he’s--”

His wife jabbed him in the side with her sharp little elbow. “Not Billy. Richard.”

“Oh.” Tom rubbed his bruised ribs. “Him.” So that’s what was bothering her.

“I don’t get it,” B’Elanna continued. “The last couple guys were boring enough, but that guy. That guy.” She made a sharp chopping motion with her free hand. “He’s the worst of the bunch.”

Tom tried to think of the man objectively. Aside from the nasally voice and the smug displays of wealth, Tom had to admit there wasn’t anything too inherently offensive about Richard. True, he was a good ten years older than the Admiral and couldn’t be more than 15 centimeters or so taller, but he was built like a marathoner. Fit and agile for a guy in his late fifties. The hair was thinning…or nearly gone, really…but the goatee offset it a bit.

“He’s not horrible to look at.” He tilted his head to one side. “If you squint, I suppose he kind of looks like Picard.”

B’Elanna flailed an elbow at him again. He managed to dodge it this time. “I’m not talking about the way he looks,” she grumbled. “I’m talking about him. Why him? Why all the famous guys?”