Here I Stand, Part 12

Part 12

                “If you and Chakotay will have the tactical advantage, why would Suder take us back to Voyager?” Kayma asked. “Why does he want the ship?”

                Kathryn shifted in an attempt to keep her feet from going to sleep.

                “He doesn’t. Whoever he’s working for does.”

                “So you don’t think he’s in charge of the operation?”

                “I doubt it.”

                Kayma was silent for a moment. “Neither do I,” she said softly. “I don’t think he’s capable of it.”

                “Why not?” At Kayma’s look of uncertainty, Kathryn shook her head. “I don’t think he is, either. But my reasons are tactical. Are yours…clinical?” Kayma nodded. Kathryn leaned forward. “Tell me everything you’ve observed. Everything. It could be important.” The rumble of the engines changed beneath them. “And quickly, Kayma, because I think we must be getting close to the shipyards.”

                Kayma took a deep breath. “You’ve noticed that Suder seems to be a touch-empath?” Kathryn nodded. “Betazoid telepathy originates in the paracortex of the brain. If Suder is only able to sense emotions through touch, not through typical telepathy, it could be because his paracortex is damaged or not functioning correctly. If that’s the case, he may be cognitively compromised in other ways, too.”

                Kathryn was pleased with and proud of the way Kayma had begun to set aside her fear and think more clearly. “Have you seen evidence of it?”

                Kayma nodded. “Impatience, for one thing. He was clearly frustrated that I didn’t wake up right away, and when he threatened my life just now--”

                “That was the first time he seemed to actually mean it.”

                Kayma nodded. “He’s getting impulsive. Desperate.”

                Kathryn frowned. “What is he desperate for, do you think?”

                Kayma hesitated. “This is pure speculation,” she said in a low voice.

                Kathryn waved her bound hands. “I understand.”

                Kayma took a deep breath. “Obviously, he’s not so cognitively compromised that he can’t function. But he’s starting to lose control of his own emotions, and he’s stopped trying to feed off ours. That might not just be due to a damaged paracortex.”

                Kathryn cocked her head to one side. “What do you mean?”

                “Betazoids also need a large amount of the neurotransmitter psylosinine in order for their telepathy to work properly.” She inclined her head to the door. “He acts like he’s had a dose, but it’s wearing off. He’s not trying to feed off us anymore because he can’t.”

                Kathryn sat up suddenly, her mind racing. “Synthetic psylosinine is heavily regulated. It can also be used as a neurotoxin.”

                “Exactly. And I doubt Suder is getting it from a known source,” Kayma said dryly.

                “But if someone is supplying him with regular doses--”