Here I Stand, Part 11

Part 11

                Kayma missing. Kathryn in danger.

                The organized commotion of the Starfleet Medical emergency center shimmered and solidified before Chakotay’s eyes. Doctors and nurses of every size and shape, all in blue uniforms  and carrying padds. Medics pushing antigrav stretchers. Crisp antiseptic smells, quietly intense voices, bright-white lights, the background beep and whirr of medical equipment.

                It all leapt up for his attention and assaulted his heightened senses.

                Kayma missing. Kathryn in danger.

                He slapped his comm. “Chakotay to Janeway.”

                Nothing.

                He charged down from the transporter pad and crossed to the triage station in two long, powerful strides. “That Lieutenant who just arrived — Lieutenant Kim?”

                The young Ensign at the station looked up. “Are you Commander Chakotay?”

                “Yes.”

                She hooked a thumb toward the bank of lifts behind her. “The EMH just took Mister Kim to surgery. Sixth floor.” Chakotay took a step in that direction, but the woman stopped him with a look. “He said he’d comm you as soon as he knows something, and you should stay out of his hair. So to speak.”

                Chakotay took a fast step toward her, but she held up her hands in a placating gesture. “I’m just the messenger, sir.”

                He took a deep breath, gathering himself and fighting to maintain his focus.

                Kayma missing. Kathryn in danger.

                “I want a security team on Lieutenant Kim immediately. Do whatever you have to do. My authority.”

                The young woman began punching commands into her console. “Aye, sir.”

                “Harry’s parents live in South Carolina. They need to be notified.”

                She nodded. “Right away, sir.”

                “And I need a secure comm station.”

                She pointed to a set of double doors to her left. “There’s a fully equipped tactical suite just through those doors.”

                He headed that way. “Lieutenants Tom and B’Elanna Paris will be beaming in shortly. Send them in.”

                “Aye, sir.”

                He strode through the double doors and paused for the retinal scan that confirmed his clearance. As promised, the tactical suite was packed tight with communications, sensor and ops equipment, all linked back to Starfleet Security and Command in the event of a widespread medical emergency. It looked almost like a miniature version of Voyager’s Bridge, minus the command chairs and main viewscreen. Chakotay sat down at the comm station and punched in the code for Kathryn’s house, memorized in a sentimental moment but never used.

                When there was no answer, he tried her office comm. Still no answer.

                He slammed his fist against the console.