Chapter 21: Aftermath

Harry sat bolt upright in bed, gasping for breath, his muscles taught as the images of Pansy Parkinson's body flying through the air faded from his mind. His eyes darted wildly around the bedroom, looking for any sign of a threat. After a moment he realised where he was and he felt his pulse start to slow. 

He looked down at Ginny. She was lying beside him, looking up at him with fear in her eyes as she reached out to hold him.

"It's alright, Harry, I'm here."

Harry concentrated on slowing his breathing down. He could feel his body relaxing as he closed his eyes and laid back down on the bed. He rolled onto his side facing Ginny and gave her a small smile.

"I'm okay," said Harry. "Just a nightmare, is all."

Ginny returned Harry's smile, but she couldn't hide the worry on her face. "I know. You've been restless for hours."

"Hours? Why have you been awake?" asked Harry.

Ginny closed her eyes for a moment. "Bad dreams," she whispered.

Harry felt his heart aching for Ginny's pain as he wrapped his arms around her and tried to comfort her.

"Tell me about them," said Harry softly as he stroked her hair.

Harry felt Ginny's body stiffen against him, and he felt a sense of helplessness as he waited for her to respond. Whatever was on Ginny's mind had kept her awake for hours, not even letting her sleep. Something was troubling her far more than Harry had been disturbed by his own nightmares, and he hoped he could help Ginny through her turmoil.

As the silence stretched out, Harry was worried he had pushed Ginny too soon to talk about what was bothering her. Harry was about to suggest they get out of bed and head downstairs for breakfast, when Ginny sat up and started to talk.

"I keep hearing the children scream when I close my eyes," said Ginny, barely above a whisper as she stared down at her own crossed legs.

Harry sat up facing Ginny and looked at her intently. "The children will be alright, Gin. Their strong, and they will heal quickly," said Harry as he took Ginny's hand in his.

"I know," rasped Ginny, "but I still hear the sounds and it breaks my heart. They tried to help me when I should have been protecting them."

Harry was concerned that Ginny was blaming herself for something she had no control over. He knew he did the same thing himself, and he was now seeing firsthand the effects of assuming guilt where no fault existed. Harry gritted his teeth as anger rose within him. His anger was directed at Pansy Parkinson for the damage she had inflicted on Ginny, which still continued despite Pansy's death.

  "Ginny, look at me," said Harry as gently as he could. Ginny's eyes came up to meet his. "You have nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to blame yourself for. You were attacked without warning after you had already sent the children to safety. Those children came back to help you because they cared about you, not because you didn't protect them. Molly was right, Pansy Parkinson chose her path and she suffered the consequences of those actions. It was her fault that you were attacked, her fault that the children were harmed, and her fault that she was killed."

Harry stopped talking as he felt the blood rushing through his head. His voice had become louder as he spoke, so he now took deep breaths as he calmed himself down.

Ginny gazed at Harry, her eyes bright as she felt tears start to well. She knew Harry was right, but she doubted he really believed it himself. His troubled sleep had been littered with mumbled regret as he blamed himself for Pansy's death. Pansy's death also troubled Ginny, but for a different reason than it troubled Harry.

"Is it wrong that I'm glad Pansy is dead?" asked Ginny shamefacedly, lowering her gaze from Harry's face as she worried how he might react to her question.

Harry sighed as he thought about what he should say. He knew Ginny had suffered at the hands of Pansy during the previous year, but he didn't know the full extent of her ordeal, Ginny having been reluctant to discuss it even with him. He now thought that whatever had happened to Ginny was far more severe than she had discussed with him during the previous summer.

Harry was troubled that Ginny would feel glad about the death of Pansy, as he himself had never felt joy at the death of another. Even the deaths of Voldemort and Severus Snape had held no joy for him, but rather the deaths had left him feeling hollow and numb.

"It's not wrong, Ginny. Nobody can help the way they feel," said Harry.

"But you're not glad she's dead, are you?" asked Ginny.

"No," said Harry, shaking his head slowly. "I'm glad she can't hurt you anymore, and I'm glad she didn't kill anyone, because she certainly could have; but she deserved punishment, and maybe even some help... but not death."

 "While I regret causing her death with every fibre of my being, I am also relieved that the threat she posed has been removed. I find myself wondering if she would have been a different person if I had approved her funding for school, instead of leaving her to struggle without anybody to lean on."

Harry's mind raced as he tried to reason things out loud. "Did I create a Death Eater through my own actions? Was I wrong to refuse a person who asked for help because I still held onto the old prejudices? After all, Pansy was the result of her upbringing, so should I blame her for her actions, or those who raised her?"

Ginny had listened to Harry with a growing sense of anger. Now she could no longer hold her tongue.

"Don't you dare try and justify her actions to me, Harry. She was a vicious girl who enjoyed hurting others... enjoyed hurting me, and I won't listen to you try and defend her."

Harry stared wide eyed at Ginny as she continued to speak through gritted teeth.

"I don't care what her parents taught her, and I can't believe you of all people would use that argument on her behalf. You yourself are proof that it doesn't matter what sort of people raised you; you can still choose to be a good person."

Ginny glared at Harry for a moment before she realised what she had just said. She slumped as she felt regret flood her body. Harry had just accepted her feelings regarding Pansy's death because he thought a person couldn't help the way they felt, and now she had lashed out at him for expressing his own feelings.    

Harry sat stiffly on the bed, unsure of what to do or say. He fought an urge to get up and leave the room, because he thought Ginny deserved better than having him run from her again, even if Ginny's words had stung him. He let go of Ginny's hand and stared at the wall behind her, his eyes not really seeing anything.

"Oh, Harry..." gasped Ginny. "I'm so sorry."

She reached out and placed her hand against Harry's cheek as he continued to look past her face. She turned his face towards her but his eyes remained resolutely focussed on the wall behind her.

"Harry, please, look at me," pleaded Ginny.

Harry slowly brought his eyes back to Ginny. He felt a sense of distress as he saw the regret and panic etched across her face. Ginny was still angry with Pansy, angry enough to take solace from her death, and Harry could understand her anger. After all, over the years he had often imagined the feelings of joy and elation he would have once Voldemort, Snape, or even Draco Malfoy was dead. Like Ginny, he had often snapped at people who tried to defend the actions of the people who had made his life miserable. 

"It's okay, Gin. We're allowed to disagree with each other." Harry smiled sadly. "I know Pansy was a bad person, but I still wish I hadn't killed her. I could have stunned her like the others, but I could barely see through the rage I felt when I saw her standing over you. I wasn't thinking clearly, so I struck her with the first thing I could think of, despite the fact I knew it could have been too much."

Harry held up his hands in front of him. Ginny could see they were shaking as he lowered them again.

"I can barely look at my own hands now without thinking about the destruction they caused."

Ginny looked down at Harry's hands for a moment as they rested in his lap, before she took one of them in her own hands. She lifted Harry's hand to her lips and softly kissed his fingertips.

"Just remember that your hands saved me as well," said Ginny.

Harry nodded as Ginny continued to kiss his fingers gently. Despite their conversations' grim topic, he suddenly felt a desperate need and desire for Ginny. He tried to put the thought to one side as he looked at Ginny.

Ginny turned Harry's hand over and kissed his palm. When she looked up she could see the longing in his eyes, and she began to inch closer to him.

Harry saw Ginny's eyes start to smoulder as she released his hand and leaned toward him. She kissed his neck and Harry murmured as he felt his longing consume him.

Their passion was intense, immediate, and unstoppable; fuelled by relief and unrestrained desire. Neither of them had felt anything like it before, as they let their yearning for each other take over.

                                                               *

Harry and Ginny lay sprawled across their bed, Ginny resting her head on Harry's chest as he gently ran his fingers through her hair.

"I wonder where that came from?" asked Ginny, still a little breathless.

Harry smiled briefly. "I don't know. I thought we were about to have a fight, but then suddenly all I wanted was you."

Ginny grinned, knowing she had felt the same way. "Maybe it was just because we survived yesterday's attack. I've wanted you since we got home last night."

"Maybe we should try and exercise a little more self control in future," said Harry, as he cast a glance at the bedroom door. "We didn't even seal the room. Molly could have walked in at any moment, assuming of course, that she didn't hear us anyway."

Ginny paled at the thought for a moment before she burst out laughing. Her laughter was infectious, and soon Harry joined her.

Once the laughter had died down, Ginny looked at Harry and fixed him with a very serious expression.

"I'm sorry you had to kill Pansy, Harry, but I want you to know, I think you did the right thing. You saved me and the children from a horrible fate. Besides, you didn't use the Killing Curse to deliberately kill her did you?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I used something else. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but I didn't intend to kill anyone with it."

"Then can I suggest you save your sympathy for her victims, and remember she made her own choice, leaving you without one."

"Do you want to talk about what she did to you last year?" asked Harry cautiously.

Ginny face fell. "Why do you want to know?"

"I'm not sure I do want to know. I can't bear the thought of you suffering," said Harry, "but I do want to try and understand your feelings and I don't want you to have to carry around your anger for your whole life. I just think it might help both of us to talk about it, if you wanted to."

Ginny stretched her legs out but kept her head on Harry's chest, as she began to tell him about Pansy Parkinson and the treatment she had received at her hand during the previous year.

Harry was appalled as Ginny spoke quietly of the Dark Arts classes which had slowly turned into an instructional course on how to torture somebody. Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle had all revelled in their unrestrained freedom to torture their class mates. Because their favourite targets, the muggle borns, had been removed from the school, the half bloods and blood traitors bore the brunt of their attacks, which had now been renamed as 'practice'.

Ginny told of how she, Neville, and Luna had assumed Harry's old role as the questioning voices of descent. Their defiance had resulted in making them the biggest targets, but they had consoled themselves that while the focus was on them, the younger students were being left relatively unscathed.

Things had continued on like this until she, Neville, and Luna had been caught trying to steal the sword of Godric Gryffindor from Severus Snape's office. While Snape's punishment of sending them to the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid was now revealed as Snapes' way of trying to protect them from further harm, their return to classes heralded a sharp increase in the horrific treatment they were receiving.

Harry could hear the venom in Ginny's voice as she spoke about Pansy Parkinson, and her habit of using the Cruciatus curse on her as a demonstration to others of the consequences of disobedience. It was as these sessions began to physically harm Ginny that she formed such a close bond with Poppy Pomfrey, who was secretly treating the victims of torture despite being ordered not to by the Carrows.

Ginny cried as she spoke of the other students she then had to treat. It was then that she felt her desire to be a Healer waiver, and for destroying her dream Ginny couldn't forgive those who hurt her. Pansy in particular had taken delight in Ginny's misery, and after Luna was taken from the school, she focussed all her attention on Ginny.

The torture felt like it would never end, and Ginny had feared she was starting to lose touch with reality as Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle took ever greater pleasure in inflicting pain on her. Adding to Ginny's misery had been the start of the taunting, in which Pansy had revelled as she informed Ginny of the horrific fate that awaited her entire family and Harry.

Just as Ginny was sure she was about to sink into an abyss of despair, never to return to the world of sanity, her salvation had come in the form of her father. An incident at Malfoy Manor had revealed that Ron was not suffering Spattergroit as was originally believed, but that he was actually with Harry. Fortunately Ginny had been on holidays at the Burrow at the time, so her father had taken her into hiding with the rest of her family, until finally, word had reached her that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had returned to Hogwarts.

After surviving the battle of Hogwarts, Ginny had been devastated to learn Pansy wasn't going to be tried for her crimes. Worse than that, Pansy would be returning to Hogwarts, a constant reminder for Ginny, and Pansy's other victims, as they struggled to move on with their lives.

Finally Ginny stopped talking and Harry felt his heart ache for her. He didn't think he could take much more, but something was troubling him and needed an answer.

"Why did she single you out so much?" he asked.

Ginny had been dreading this question.

"She thought that if she tortured me enough, you would come to rescue me and then she could capture you. She always taunted me about you, asking when you were going to show up."

Harry felt his heart sink. All of the heartbreak Ginny had suffered as he tried to protect her had been for nothing. She had had to deal with the breakup of their relationship, as well as endure torture because others thought the relationship had never ended.

"I'm very sorry, Gin," said Harry. "I never should have left you in that position."

Ginny raised her head from Harry's chest and looked him in the eye. "Don't blame yourself for what other people did, Harry. You tried to protect me. I made my choice to resist, instead of keeping my mouth shut like I was told to. And you were doing what you had to do to save us all."

Ginny moved herself further up the bed as Harry wrapped his arms around her. They pulled the blankets back over themselves and lay there holding each other without saying anything for a while, before Ginny broke the silence.

"We both did what we had to do, Harry, and nothing can change that now, no matter how much we wish things had been different. But after everything that's happened, we have each other, and that's all I ever needed."

Harry felt his breath catch as he listened to Ginny, and he pulled her tighter against him.

                                                               *

"Those stupid fools," spat Lucius Malfoy, throwing the Daily Prophet to the floor.

Lucius wasn't angry that Crabbe and Goyle had deserted him, but he was disappointed that they hadn't been killed during their reckless attack on the Hogwarts Express. Now they could be questioned, and while they didn't know anything about Lucius's plans, except that it involved revenge against Harry Potter, they did know where this warehouse was.

"Draco, gather our things. It's time to go."

Draco looked at his father quizzically. "Why?"

Lucius rounded on his son. "Because I told you to."

Draco glared at his father for a moment before he started collecting their meagre possessions and shoving them into a bag. When he had finished he stood up and faced his father.

"Has something happened?" asked Draco.

Lucius snorted. "It appears that your friends' fathers are just as foolish as their sons. Crabbe and Goyle attacked the Hogwarts Express yesterday, and didn't even have the good sense to die. It is now only a matter of time before Ministry officials learn of this place."

Draco nodded his understanding. He considered dragging out their departure just to see if the Ministry officials would arrive as quickly as his father seemed to fear they would, but his attention was drawn by the Daily Prophet lying on the ground nearby. He stooped down and picked up the paper, noticing a large photo of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley on the front page, showing them huddled together next to the barrier to platform 9 and ¾. He began to read the first article on the King's Cross attack.

He read about the initial attack and the intervention of Harry Potter, Seamus Finnigan, and Lavender Brown to bring the attack to an end. The article then went on to describe a second attack that the Ministry believed was unconnected to the first attack, but rather an attack of opportunity. Apparently Pansy Parkinson had attacked Ginny Weasley.

Draco's mind spun as he read of Pansy's death. The article didn't say who had killed Pansy, or how she died, but Draco thought he could guess. Harry Potter was the most likely suspect in his mind. After all, Pansy had been attacking Harry's girlfriend. Draco was surprised to realise that he cared little for the fate of Pansy Parkinson, knowing she had been foolish to cross Potter now.

Rather, he felt begrudging respect for Harry Potter. Harry had killed to protect his own, and Draco had always admired that sort of commitment to do whatever it took to win, even if his own courage had failed him when he was put to the test.

Draco let the paper drop back to the floor as he made his way over to his father, who was roughly pushing the rest of their companions towards the door. Once they were settled in a new location, he would await confirmation that Harry Potter had killed Pansy, but he could feel the truth of it already. His old fellow students were now willing to kill, and this development could have a very negative impact for him if he got in their way.

He wondered if his father could appreciate the significance of this. The others, as Draco now thought of Harry and his friends, instead of as his enemies, would now be willing to do whatever they had to in their quest to secure peace.

                                                               * 

The overcast sky made the Burrow feel dark and gloomy, and the cold air was making its way in under the doors. Harry and Ginny made their way down the stairs to the kitchen of the little house, where once again they were startled to find nobody was present.

The sounds of hushed conversation came from the living room. Harry and Ginny made their way back passed the stairs and into the much warmer living room, where a fire was crackling in the fireplace.

Molly and Arthur were sitting talking with Minerva McGonagall and Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Harry felt a sense of déjà vu as he looked at the four people seated before him.

"Ah..." began Harry, as four faces suddenly focussed on him. "Sorry, we didn't mean to disturb you."

Harry took Ginny's hand, making his way out of the living room before Arthur called them back.

"I think you two should hear this," said Arthur, looking towards Kingsley as Harry and Ginny sat down.

Harry looked at Kingsley and was suddenly shocked by the man's appearance. His eyes were bloodshot, surrounded by dark circles, and he appeared to have aged significantly overnight. Harry wondered if Kingsley had slept at all last night.

"Ginny, Harry," began Kingsley weakly, "I want to offer you my apologies and the apologies of the Ministry for the events which occurred yesterday. It was a preventable attack and one which I should have seen coming."

Harry felt his heart go out to his friend. It now appeared that everyone blamed themselves for one part of the attack or another. There was so much guilt being used up by the victims that Harry wondered if there was any left for the people who had actually carried out yesterday's horrific attack.

Harry glanced at Ginny, and seeing the anguish on her face, he decided he wasn't going to let his friends or himself suffer anymore for things they didn't do.

"Kingsley," said Harry, "it wasn't your fault. You didn't attack the train or Ginny, so there is no blame to be laid at your feet."

Kingsley looked at Harry for a moment. "I appreciate your comments, Harry, but it was my job to ensure the protection of the magical community, and in that respect I have failed you all."

As Harry stared at Kingsley he thought he could see a vision of himself in the Minister, taking on the burdens of the wizarding world.

"You did protect us. We had Aurors with us, and we were on a platform surrounded by witches and wizards. Maybe those people on the platform yesterday should have fought instead of running, but they didn't. They chose to save themselves, and I don't blame them; many of them had young children with them. But we all have to share the responsibility of creating a safe and peaceful community. None of us should just assume others can do it for us."

"The protection of our world is the responsibility of us all, not just you... or me. I once thought just like you are thinking now, believing I had to save the world alone; but in the end I could only do it with the help of my friends."

Harry stood as he felt the fire of anger burning within him. "I will not let those who would destroy us have us blaming ourselves and each other for things we could not control. I am going to follow the wise advice of Molly and Ginny, and I'm going to lay the blame for yesterday's attack against the people who carried it out. I will not blame the innocent... or myself... or you."

Arthur stood and put a calming hand on Harry's shoulder. "You see, Kingsley, even the victims don't hold you responsible, so why should you?"

Kingsley gave Arthur a lopsided grin as the light started to return to his eyes. "Alright, Arthur, you've made your point, but whether I blame myself or not, the media certainly will."

Harry was incensed by the thought of the media blaming Kingsley. "Why don't you ask them what they have done to help create a safe community? I don't recall any of them coming to the rescue yesterday, or fighting during the war."

Kingsley smiled at Harry's outrage on his behalf. "I might just do that. At worst I will lose a high pressure, high stress job that I don't particularly enjoy anyway."

Harry grinned at Kingsley. "You could always join the Aurors again."

Harry was already regretting his words as he saw Kingsley's face fall.

"I'm so sorry, Kingsley. How's Gawain doing?"

Kingsley shrugged his shoulders. "He's hanging in there, but like me, he's blaming himself. Maybe you should go and talk to him as well."

"Excellent idea," said Minerva from the sofa. "Harry, you can visit Max and Mary Dearborn while you're at St Mungo's. They are both very concerned about you and Ginny."

Ginny sat bolt upright. "You've seen them? Will they be okay?" asked Ginny, her words tumbling out so fast Harry had trouble understanding her.

Minerva held up her hands to try and calm Ginny. "Yes, yes. They're doing very well. And Harry, Max also has something he would very much like to show you."

"What is it?" asked Harry with interest.

Minerva smiled. "I'll leave that for Max to explain."

Harry sat back down next to Ginny and put an arm around her. "They're okay, Gin. We'll go and see them later if you like."

Ginny nodded as she wiped away sudden tears of relief. "Can we go now?"

Harry felt his stomach grumble. "Can I just get some breakfast first? I haven't eaten since breakfast yesterday."

Ginny grinned, feeling her own hunger now that food had been mentioned.

On the other side of the living room, Molly had watched the entire exchange with a growing sense of hope that Harry and Ginny would be able to move past yesterday's events without falling into a pit of depression. She had let them be this morning, as she thought a little time alone was just what they needed, but she hadn't even dared to hope they would be able to rebound this quickly. Her children would still need time to fully recover, but she was elated that they were not going to let these events rule their lives.

"Come on then, you two," said Molly as she stood and started making her way to the kitchen. She looked back over her shoulder. "And anybody else who would like a very, very, late breakfast."

Molly smiled to herself as she heard everyone get to their feet behind her, and follow her into the kitchen.

                                                               *

The smell of cooking bacon was driving Harry to distraction as he sat at the table with Ginny, Minerva, and Kingsley, while Molly cooked breakfast and directed Arthur about the kitchen.

Ginny, meanwhile, had begun questioning Minerva.

"Is Hogwarts going to reopen after the holidays?"

Harry turned his attention to Minerva. It hadn't occurred to him that the school may be affected by the fallout from the King's Cross attack.

Minerva looked grim as she answered Ginny. "The school will reopen as scheduled, but some new measures are being put in place to try and stamp out the last of those who are still sympathetic to the Death Eaters."

"Are our students going to come back?" asked Ginny nervously.

Minerva was taken aback by the question. "Of course they are, Ginny. Why would you think otherwise?"

Ginny shrugged. "I thought they might not want to after what happened to them, or their parents might not let them return."

Minerva raised an eyebrow as she regarded Ginny. "You really should meet Mr and Mrs Dearborn at St Mungo's today if you get the chance. I expect you'll find their attitude to be a pleasant surprise."

As they talked, Arthur picked up a copy of the Daily Prophet from the counter and dropped it onto the table in front of Harry and Ginny.

"That's what they're saying about the attack yesterday."

Harry glanced down and saw the photo on the front page of him and Ginny standing by the barrier. Ginny leaned over his shoulder and sighed.

"Why can't they ever publish a nice photo of us?" lamented Ginny.

Harry grunted in agreement as he scanned the various articles about the attack. The four people killed had been identified, and besides Alicia, Harry saw that the other three were sixth and seventh year students, all of whom had been Prefects, including one Prefect from Slytherin house. Harry wondered how the remaining Slytherin students who still supported the Death Eaters would feel about this tragic development. 

Harry also read about Pansy Parkinson's death, and noticed with some surprise that he hadn't been identified as the person who had killed her. Harry looked across the table at Kingsley.

"Why doesn't it say who killed Pansy?"

"Only a few people know about that at the moment, and I didn't think you needed to be put out on display again."

Harry considered this for a moment. "You do realise my students know what happened?"

Beside him, Ginny nodded her agreement. "And they idolise Harry. I'm sure they will tell the other students about what happened."

Kingsley's eyes widened in alarm. "Oh dear. I'm sorry, Harry, that never occurred to me."

Harry gave Kingsley a resigned smile. "Don't worry about it. Everybody would have found out sooner or later anyway."

Harry returned his attention to the articles and continued reading. Details about the attack on Ginny included the actions of his students and their attempt to rescue her, and he was glad to see Seamus and Lavender were mentioned by name for their part in ending the attack. At least all the focus wouldn't be on him again.

As the delicious smell of the cooking breakfast again filled Harry's nose, he suddenly realised that something was missing from the kitchen.

"Molly, where's Ron and Hermione?"

Molly turned to face Harry, and Harry noticed her eyes quickly dart to Arthur before they returned to focus on him.

"Hermione and her parents decided to go to Spain for their holiday anyway, and they invited Ron to accompany them. They all left early this morning."

Molly saw the frown on Harry's face and she knew what he was thinking.

"They wanted to say goodbye to you and Ginny, but I didn't want them to wake you both. I'm sorry, Harry, but they will be contacting us by floo tonight so you can talk to them then."

Harry sat back in his chair. He was glad Hermione had decided to go on her holiday despite what had happened, and he knew Ron would be happy that he was able to go with her. He couldn't blame Molly for trying to look after him and Ginny.

"Fair enough," he said, watching as Molly visibly relaxed and returned to her stove top.

Ten minutes later and Harry was trying to finish a large helping of bacon and eggs on toast. Conversations continued on around him, but his mind kept returning him to the King's Cross platform and the body of Pansy Parkinson flying through the air. It appeared that as much as he wanted to move on from this, his mind wasn't going to let it all go quite so easily.

Harry shook his head to clear it. He stood from the table and thanked Molly for breakfast.

"You're welcome, dear," said Molly as she gazed at Harry. "Are you alright, you look a bit pale?"

Harry shook his head. "I'm fine thanks. I'm just going to have a shower before we go to St Mungo's."

Harry made his way to the stairs, conscious of the silence that was coming from the table behind him. He guessed they were all watching his back and wondering if he truly was alright. Harry thought he would be alright. He would have his regrets and his nightmares, but he would gladly pay that price knowing it had saved Ginny.

Harry made his way up the stairs and into the room he shared with Ginny. He sat down on the bed for a moment and collected his thoughts. He held up his hands and was relieved to see they weren't shaking anymore.

                                                               *

Downstairs in the kitchen, Ginny had watched Harry go as worry began to nag at her. She had pushed her own plate away from her and turned to look towards her mother.

Molly saw the concern on her daughter's face. She reached out and patted Ginny's hand.

"He'll be alright, sweetheart, he just needs time."

Ginny nodded as she bit her bottom lip and looked back at the stairs. She stood from the table and faced her mother.

"Mum..." she began, before her voice failed her for a moment. "I should probably check he's okay."

Molly gave her daughter a small smile. "Go and help him, dear. Just make sure you don't both slip in the shower."

Ginny blushed furiously as she saw Minerva and Kingsley trying not to smile, both of them suddenly finding the table top surprisingly interesting. She turned and quickly made her way up the stairs, hearing the quiet laughter from downstairs as she went. When she opened her bedroom door she found Harry sitting on the bed.

Harry looked up at her and smiled. "Hi, Gin, are you okay?" he asked as he saw the look on her face.

"Am I okay? I just came up here to make sure you were okay."

Harry stood up and held his arms out. Ginny rushed forward and embraced him.

"I'm fine, Ginny. I'm just trying to clear my head," said Harry, before he put his forehead against hers. "Really, Ginny, I'm okay."

Ginny sighed in relief. "I'm okay too."

They held onto each other before Harry brought his lips gently to Ginny's. As they broke apart, Ginny gave Harry a mischievous look.

"So, how about that shower?"

Harry grinned at her. "We'll have to be very quiet. I don't need that lot downstairs knowing about everything we do."

Ginny nodded her agreement, deciding not to tell Harry about her mother's very unnerving advice to her in the kitchen. Harry had enough to deal with at the moment without adding embarrassment to the list.

                                                               *

The afternoon sun streamed through the reception area of St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. The reception desk at St Mungo's wasn't very busy as Harry and Ginny arrived at the hospital, along with Arthur and Molly. While Arthur was supposed to be at work, Kingsley had directed him to accompany Harry and Ginny to St Mungo's as their Ministry protection.

They patiently waited in line for a few minutes, drawing curious glances as the people who were scattered throughout the reception area began to recognise them. Harry could hear people uttering his name as he stepped to the desk and faced the small, plump witch who sat behind it.

"What's the nature of your injury?" asked the clearly bored witch, her eyes never leaving the paperwork she was reading.

"Nobody is injured," said Molly coolly. "We would like to know which ward we can find Max and Mary Dearborn in."

The witch looked up sharply from her paperwork. Anybody wanting to see victims from the King's Cross attack had to be approved by her supervisor. While she recognised the Weasley's standing before her, it was Harry that drew her eye. He had already been cleared to visit by the Minister himself.

"Of course," said the newly rededicated witch. "The children are in the private ward on the fourth floor."

"Thank you," said Molly as she started to bustle Harry and Ginny towards the double doors which led onto the ground floor.

"Do you require an escort?" asked the witch from behind her desk, hoping that the group would recall her offer of help if asked by the Minister, rather than her rude greeting.

"No, thank you," said Ginny grinning. "We know where it is."

Harry leaned over and whispered in Ginny's ear. "How do you know where the ward is?"

Ginny looked incredulous until she realised Harry was serious. "Because that is the ward you were in when you were being treated after the battle."

"Oh," said Harry, "Right then, lead the way."

Harry and Ginny followed Arthur and Molly up the wooden steps that wound their way up one end of the building, until they came to the fourth floor.

A plaque on the wall beside the stairs told Harry he was on the fourth floor, which dealt with spell damage. The group made their way down the narrow corridor until Arthur and Molly stopped at a door near the end of the corridor. Arthur tapped lightly on the door, before he stepped back and waited patiently.

After a few moments the door opened to reveal a man who could only be Max and Mary's father. A tall man, he bore the same dark hair and friendly face that he had passed on to his children.

"Hello?" said Mr Dearborn, as he peered at the visitors nervously.

Harry could sympathise with the man. He was a muggle in a magical hospital, and he was probably feeling a long way out of his element at this moment. Meanwhile, Mr Dearborn had spotted the scar on Harry's forehead and comprehension dawned in his eyes.

Mr Dearborn held out his hand to Harry. "You must be Harry Potter."

Harry gave Mr Dearborn a cautious smile as he shook the man's hand. "I am, sir."

Mr Dearborn looked startled at being addressed as 'sir' by a shaggy haired teenager. He smiled warmly as he turned his attention to Ginny, again offering his hand. "And you must be Ginny Weasley."

Ginny beamed at Mr Dearborn. "It's lovely to meet you, sir."

"Likewise," said Mr Dearborn. "Our children have told us all about you two of course, although I must say, I do hope they have been exaggerating about some of the stories they have told my wife and I."

Harry and Ginny both blushed as they looked at Mr Dearborn. "I'm afraid they probably haven't been exaggerating, sir," said Harry.

Mr Dearborn's eyes widened at that, before he turned his attention to Arthur and Molly, and introductions were made all round. Mr Dearborn looked over his shoulder and called to his wife, who joined him at the door.

Mrs Dearborn appeared to have been cast from the same mould as Molly Weasley. She was short and frumpy, with a kind face and hazel eyes. The most notable difference was the short blonde hair.

Harry was rattled when Mrs Dearborn threw her arms around him and Ginny.

"I'm so glad to finally meet you both. The kids will be delighted that you came."

Ginny was now standing on her toes as she tried to peer into the room beyond the door. "How are they? Can we see them?"

Mrs Dearborn smiled at Ginny's obvious concern. "Of course, go right in."

Mr and Mrs Dearborn stepped out into the corridor to talk with Arthur and Molly, while Harry and Ginny stepped into the room.

"Harry, Ginny," cried Mary, as she spotted the couple.

Harry was surprised by the room as he looked around. He remembered it being rather drab and dull, but now it was full of colourful pictures, and flowers were scattered throughout the room. Harry guessed the staff must have brightened it up for their young patients.

The children were in two identical beds at one end of the room, while Harry noticed two very large reclining chairs were sitting at the other end of the room. He assumed these were for Max and Mary's parents so they could stay the night if they wished.

Ginny rushed across the room to Mary's bedside and leaned over to hug the excited girl. From the other bed, Max beamed at Harry. Harry made his way to Max and shook his hand, the large number of bandages still covering his chest causing Harry to refrain from embracing the boy.

"How are you, Max?" asked Harry, as he conjured a chair beside the bed and sat down.

Max grinned at Harry. "I'm feeling better now. The Healers said we're going to be home in time for Christmas."

Harry was very happy for his students. He also felt a surge of pride for what they had tried to do.

"You both did a very brave thing yesterday. I want to thank you for trying to help Ginny," said Harry seriously.

Max's face fell.

"Is something wrong? Should I get a Healer?" asked Harry urgently as he saw the look of despair on Max's face.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I got so scared that I forgot all the spells you taught us. I froze up."

Ginny moved to a position in between the two beds and took Max's hand. "That doesn't matter, Max. What you did gave me enough hope to believe help was coming, and that allowed me to hold on until Harry arrived."

Harry smiled at Max. "I guess I owe you one now, kiddo. I got my Ginny back because of what you all did. I'm very proud of you. When everybody else ran, you stood and fought."

Harry watched as the smile returned to Max's face.

"Now, Professor McGonagall has informed me that you have something you wished to show me"

"Ewww," said Mary, giggling from the other bed. "Not again, Max. I don't want to see it anymore."

Max grinned at his sister as he sat up further in the bed. He gently began to lift the bandages which covered his chest, revealing a long red wound which ran diagonally across most of his chest. Harry and Ginny both winced as they looked at the angry red mark, and Ginny almost burst into tears until she saw the smirk on Max's face.

"Cool, huh," said Max excitedly.

While Ginny looked appalled, Harry understood. Young boys were often proud of their injuries, viewing them as some sort of rite of passage, or proof of their courage.

Max ran a finger along the wound, grimacing a little. "The Healers say I'm going to have a scar too; just like you, Harry."

Harry was a little startled by Max's happiness. Harry had never been overly fond of his scars, particularly the one on his forehead, as his scars were a reminder of terrible events in his life. He supposed Max would view his scar a little differently, as his had been earned while trying to help Ginny.

"Pretty cool, Max," agreed Harry. "I bet the girls will find it very cool as well."

Mary and Ginny both groaned as they rolled their eyes, while Max and Harry started laughing.

                                                               *

Outside in the corridor, Arthur Weasley was almost giddy as he talked with the twins' parents. He had the Grangers in his house last night, and now he had two more muggles standing right in front of him, and he was just as fascinated by them as they were by him. He also recognised the name Dearborn, and he had a question he just had to ask.

"Are you by any chance related to Caradoc Dearborn?"

Lawrence shrugged his shoulders as he thought. "I don't believe so."

"Oh, well," replied Arthur. "I just wondered, as Caradoc Dearborn was a member of the Order of the Phoenix, one of the resistance groups that fought in the war."

Lawrence shook his head. "I don't know of any other magical people in my wife's or my family. As far as we know the children are the first."

"No strange uncles lurking about, then?" asked Arthur.

Lawrence laughed. "Actually, I do have an uncle who we rarely see. While he certainly acts in a very strange manner at times, I believe that it's just regular weirdness, not magic. Besides, his name is Philip, not Caradoc."

Mrs Dearborn meanwhile, was delighted to meet Molly. "Mary has told us all about Ginny of course, and I must say I'm very pleased with the devotion Ginny has shown towards teaching our children. It was rather frightening to think of the children entering a strange new world, but it has been a huge relief to receive letters from our children discussing how much they are enjoying themselves."

Molly beamed, feeling her pride swell for her daughter. "You're very kind, Mrs Dearborn. You must come to dinner at the Burrow one night over the holidays. You would be able to meet Ginny and Harry properly, and Hermione Granger may be back from Spain by then as well."

Mrs Dearborn glanced at her husband before she continued. "Max and Mary have told us that Harry and Ginny were both heroes during a war. Surely they were too young to fight in any war."

Molly patted Mrs Dearborn's arm kindly. "I'm afraid they were very much involved in the war over the last few years, especially Harry." Molly saw the incredulous look on Mrs Dearborn's face. "Unfortunately, the enemy we faced did not distinguish between adults and children, so our children had to learn to fight before they had even had a chance to grow up."

Mrs Dearborn clutched at her chest. "Oh, the poor things. How did they ever get through it?"

"It has been a lot for them deal with," conceded Molly, "but they are starting to put the war behind them." Molly shook her sadly. "Or at least they were until the attack yesterday."

"Well, they seem to be holding up remarkably well," said Mrs Dearborn.

"Yes, they do, don't they," said Molly, cheering up markedly at the thought.

The two couples kept talking for several minutes, organising a suitable night for dinner over the holidays. When a Healer arrived to check up on the twins, they all headed back into the private ward.

                                                               *

The Dearborns and the Weasleys made their way into the ward just in time to see Max lowering his bandages back over his chest. The Healer that accompanied them looked at Max sternly.

"Young Master Dearborn, I believe I told you to stop lifting your bandages up."

Max cringed slightly as Harry and Ginny turned towards the doorway at the sound of the familiar voice. Harry stepped from the bed and held out his hand to the Healer.

"Hello, Lewis," said Harry, grinning as the Healer shook his hand. "It's good to see you again."

Lewis cast an evaluating eye over Harry. "Likewise. I take it you suffered no injuries yesterday?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Well done. Remembered to duck this time, did you?"

Harry chuckled as Lewis smirked at him. 

At the end of the room, Max was listening in wide eyed fascination. "Harry, did Lewis treat you too?"

Harry turned to look at Max, ignoring the grin on Ginny's face as he did so. "Yes he did, Max, after the Battle of Hogwarts, and you should listen to his advice. You'll get home a lot sooner."

"Yes, Harry," said Max guiltily.

With that, Harry and Ginny joined the parents at one end of the room, while Lewis checked on the twins progress. Ten minutes later Harry and Ginny said their goodbyes to the Dearborns. Max and Mary looked disappointed until their mother informed them they would be visiting the Weasley home for dinner during the holidays.

The Weasleys and Harry left behind a babbling Max and Mary as they made their way out of the ward and set off to visit Gawain Robards.

                                                               *

The visit with Gawain had gone much as Harry had expected. At first Harry had been startled by Gawain's appearance, the exposed parts of the Auror's body covered in bruises, and a bandage wound around his neck. Also, a strange smell was emanating from him that Harry and Ginny politely tried to ignore.

Harry and Ginny had sat and talked to Gawain as they reassured him they were fine. Harry noticed that Gawain's mood started to rise as they discussed what would happen when they returned to school, and the new Auror training that Harry and Ginny were looking forward to.

"I thought you might have changed your minds about being Aurors after the attack," rasped Gawain.

Harry smiled at the man. "Of course not. I'm more determined than ever to stamp out the dark arts. Or at least cut them down enough so that people don't have to be frightened all the time."

"What about you, Ginny?" asked Gawain cautiously. "Are you sure you still want to be an Auror?"

Ginny considered her answer for a moment before she spoke. "Yes, I am. Yesterday, Pansy Parkinson was able to walk right up to me and strike before I even knew what had happened. Everything happened so much faster yesterday than it does when we're practising. I obviously need more training so I will be able to anticipate an attack before it happens next time."

Gawain smiled weakly at Ginny. "You were not alone in getting caught off guard yesterday, Ginny, so don't let it get you down. I got hit before I even got off the train."

Ginny nodded at Gawain, trying to shake off her suddenly melancholy mood. "Thanks. Gawain. Do you know how much longer you'll be stuck in here?"

Gawain grunted. "They're not sure yet. I suffered some internal damage, so I have to stay until they're sure everything is working properly on its own again."

Again Ginny nodded her understanding, but her politeness had reached its limit.

"What on earth is that smell?"

Gawain grimaced for a second. "That smell, Miss Weasley, is a combination of the five different potions I am forced to ingest each day, and I'd be very grateful if you were to never mention it again."

As Harry started to laugh, Ginny frantically tried to apologise. "Oh, Gawain, I'm very sorry. It really is just awful though."

Gawain grinned at Ginny. "Perhaps it would be best if I didn't return to Hogwarts until after I have finished with these dastardly potions. I swear they make me feel worse than the injuries did."

Harry, Ginny, and Gawain whiled away the next half hour with talk of anything but the King's Cross attack. As the light from the window began to fade Harry stood to leave, but Gawain had fixed him with a very serious look that stopped him in his tracks.

"Harry, I want you to know that you can talk to me about what happened yesterday at any time. I have been where you now find yourself, and I know it can be a very conflicting place to be. So if the doubts or the regret start getting on top of you, or you just want somebody to talk to, you know where to find me."

Harry felt a surge of gratitude for the Auror as he looked down at the battered man lying in the hospital bed. "Thank you, Gawain. I will remember that."

After a final goodbye, Harry and Ginny met Arthur and Molly back out in the fourth floor corridor. Harry wasn't surprised to find that Arthur had managed to corner Mr Dearborn as he asked him all manner of questions about the muggle world.

The group made their way back down the wooden stairs and through the double doors which led into the reception area.

The flashes of the cameras were momentarily blinding. Harry used his hand as a shield as he tried to see the crowd in front of him. As the flashes finally stopped he blinked his eyes clear of the blue images that obscured his vision, and looked around at the assembled reporters.

Harry noticed with relief that Rita Skeeter was not among those present, so his usual urge to run was somewhat diminished. As the questions started, Harry was surprised by the calm tone being employed by the reporters. He decided to humour them for once and answer a few questions. He held up his hands for quiet, and once this had been achieved, he pointed at the nearest reporter.

"You have a question?"

A stick thin old witch with gray hair and a permanent look of surprise on her face asked the first question.

"Arathina Buttons, Mr Potter, Witch Weekly," said the old witch in a very pompous voice that sounded like she had been practicing it for years. "The official statement from the Ministry has stated that Miss Pansy Parkinson was struck and killed during the attack as she was attacking the young lady beside you. Do you happen to know who fired the spell that killed Miss Parkinson?"

Harry felt his body tense as the old witch eyed him shrewdly. That didn't take long, thought Harry, in no doubt as to whom the reporters suspected of causing Pansy's death. He considered how to answer this question carefully, glancing at Molly and Arthur as he weighed up his options. Before he had a chance to answer, somebody else did it for him.

"Harry saved my life," said Ginny fiercely. "Pansy Parkinson was using the Cruciatus curse on me, and Harry did what he had to do to stop her."

Ginny's words were met with silence. Harry guessed the reporters thought he would deny his part in Pansy's death, but instead, they had received confirmation from an unlikely source. It was out there now, and Harry wasn't going to dispute it.

Arathina Buttons was looking expectantly between Harry and Ginny, as if waiting for one of them to let fly with another outburst. When nothing was forthcoming, she asked her next question.

"So you killed Miss Parkinson, Mr Potter?"

Harry's eyes narrowed as he regarded the reporter. "I cast the spell which resulted in her death, yes."

"Did you use the Killing Curse?"

"No, of course not," said Harry defensively. "It was a... stunning spell, which was too strong."

The old witch jotted down notes quickly on a piece of parchment before she looked back up at Harry.

"Thank you, Mr Potter. And may I just add, we at Witch Weekly admire a man who will fight for his woman."

A ripple of laughter passed through the assembled crowd as Harry and Ginny shared a look of disbelief between each other.

Harry was left suitably stunned enough to keep answering questions for another ten minutes, before Molly leaned over and whispered to him that Ron and Hermione were due to be calling soon and they needed to head back to the Burrow.

As they left, Harry had a sudden thought. He turned back to face the group of reporters.

"Is the Daily Prophet photographer here?" he asked as he looked around.

A young man wearing tattered clothing that had bits and pieces of equipment hanging off every available piece of fabric raised his hand. "Right here, Mr Potter."

Harry pulled Ginny close to him and put his arm around her. "Could you do me one favour, and publish a decent photo of Ginny and I tomorrow."

"Of course," said the photographer, grinning as he brought his camera up.

                                                               *

Harry and Ginny lay in bed facing each other as they talked about their day. They both agreed that while it had been a memorable day, it was a day they could do without repeating.

When they had returned from St Mungo's, they had talked quickly with Ron and Hermione via the floo network, the four friends all assuring each other that they were all okay. Ron and Hermione had both been relieved to hear that Max, Mary, and Gawain were all going to be out of St Mungo's soon, and rather surprised that the media had adopted a sympathetic attitude towards Harry after the attack.

Harry and Ginny had arranged to talk with Ron and Hermione again later in the week, and then joined Molly and Arthur for a quick dinner before bed.

As Harry and Ginny talked in bed, the topic of their holiday project had come up.

"Do you really want to put this on hold, Ginny?" asked Harry warily.

"No, not really. It just didn't seem very important last night, but I may have been a little hasty in my decision."

"Should we go ahead then?"

Ginny smiled at Harry. "Yes," she said, giving Harry a quick kiss. "Let's start building our own house."