Chapter 1

We had failed.

We tried to kill it.

We only made it worse.

The Formidi-bomb tore it into three.

We're all going to die.

"WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" I screamed. I turned and looked behind me. Petra was looking at me kind of weirdly. "Less screaming, MORE ESCAPING!" She said. I must have gotten too absorbed in my thoughts...

Earlier, we had tried to kill the Witherstorm with a Formidi-bomb. That plan failed. The Witherstorm came back, nearly unscathed. And by "nearly unscathed," I mean "There's now three of them". There are three ruthless, bloodthirsty monsters out there, and it's all my fault. But the worst part is, a life was lost in that worthless battle. Magnus gave up his armor for me, and he died because of it, hoping that I would kill it. His death was in vain, and it's all my fault.

I kept my eyes straight ahead. We were drawing closer to a bridge. To be more specific, a broken bridge. "The bridge is broken!" I cried. "What do we do?!" Axel hopped off of his horse. "We build a new one!" We scrambled to build a new bridge. I was sure that the Witherstorm would have killed us by now, but...

"The Endermen!" Soren exclaimed. "They're slowing it down!" The Enderman were violently attacking the Witherstorm, tearing it up. But it wasn't enough; the Witherstorm was just too big. "Enough staring! We've got to get out of here!" I shouted. While we were riding across the bridge, I noticed a cave on top of a nearby mountain. "We can stop there!" I stated.

After we had made it to the cave, I was completely inarticulate due to the fact that WE SURVIVED. "We made it..." I muttered. "We actually made it! We freaking made it!" Nobody else was cheering. "...We survived?" I awkwardly said. Lukas walked up to me and tapped my shoulder. "Gabriel was saying some pretty weird stuff on the horse back there. Seems that he's completely lost his memory." My awkward smile faded into concern.

I glanced over at Gabriel, who was nervously looking around the cave. "I better go talk to him..." The moment he saw me, he said "Jesse, was it?" I replied, "Um, yeah..." He pointed at Ellegaard, who was standing right next to him. "Who is this person? I feel like I'm talking to a friend, but then I'm being insulted..." I responded, "That's Ellie -- your old friend." Gabriel still looked extremely confused. "Forget it..."

It was silent for a while. No one said anything. It was so quiet, you could almost hear the snow falling on the ground outside. After a while, Soren broke the silence. "I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS! We aren't going to get rid of those Witherstorms by just sitting here and feeling sorry for ourselves!" I snapped back, "What else is there to do about it?! Your Formidi-bomb failed! It should have destroyed the command block, and all it did was tear the Witherstorm apart!"

"You were the one who crafted it, Jesse!" Soren shouted. "Maybe you messed up the recipe?" Petra angrily said, "You can't blame Jesse for any of this!" Soren turned to her. "What do you know about any of this?!" Petra yelled, "I know that you can't just start blaming my friends like that!"

"IT WAS ALL MY FAULT!"

The arguments ceased, and the room grew silent. Everyone stared at me. "It's my fault the Witherstorm isn't dead. I was the one who crafted the Formidi-bomb. It's my fault Gabriel lost his memory. If I only had time to get him down as well. It's my fault that Magnus is dead. I took his armor. It's all my fault!" I cried. I ran out of the cave, sobbing.

I sat outside and stared off into the distance. "This is all because of me, isn't it?" I said to myself.

"Jesse, why would you say that?"

I looked to my side. Lukas was standing there. He sat down next to me. "Jesse, none of this is your fault. I don't know why you would think that all of this chaos is because of you." I replied, "Of course it's all my fault. If I hadn't gotten stuck in the tractor beam while crafting the Formidi-bomb, it would be dead. If I hadn't taken Magnus's armor, he wouldn't be dead."

"You couldn't have known that any of this would happen," he said. "There's no use crying about it." I replied, "...Thank you, Lukas... " Lukas continued, "I have something to tell you. Gabriel said that he had seen my jacket somewhere else. He had seen other people wearing it!" His face lit up. "My friends could still be out there, alive!" I replied, "I can't believe  it..." Lukas stood up and said, "I have to find them!" I stood up to go back inside, but as soon as I got on my feet I began to feel dizzy. "Whoa..." I said.

Lukas asked, "Hey... Are you okay?" I replied, "I'm fine. Just a little light-headed, I guess..." My vision began to blur. "Jesse! Hey, stay with me!" I lost all feeling and my vision faded to white.