Chapter 2 | One Soldier

|Published July 4, 2016 | Pacific Time

Chapter II | ONE SOLDIER

Peering through crimson
-Gear Blade

A horde of insults and yelling welcomes back the Scouting Legion from their two week expedition. Once again Erwin's soldiers have to endure the criticism of their military branch. The civilians lay close to the soldiers somber faces as they pass through the crowded road. Unfortunately, half of the veterans that attended this expedition are either injured or dead. Out of the one-hundred-fifty soldiers who attended the mission, thirty-five are either reported missing or brought back to be given a proper funeral.

Within the one-hundred-fifteen soldiers that made it through hell, only one of them has supernatural skills. That answer is obvious to the human eye. Humanity's Strongest Soldier a.k.a the leading soldier of this regiment. What I find disturbing is the virility of everyone's mental state. Out of the one-hundred-fourteen that are left alive, approximately half of them are in a total breakdown.

"The Survey Corps still come back half empty?! Seems Humanity's Strongest isn't much of help!" A middle age man with a curly beard falling to his chest bellows out. His dirty thin shirt is ripped in certain areas revealing apparent bones.

"Get your ass out the walls and dare say we're doing nothing!" A young twenty-year-old veteran shouts out.

"Leave the ignorant be." I watch Levi place a hand on the young veteran.

"But Captain-"

"Ignore him." He firms.

After several prolonged hours riding our horses, we finally arrive to the Survey Corps Headquarters. I dismount my golden horse and stretch my arms. Even after six years my rear feels numb after hours sitting on a horse. Grabbing my horse's reins I begin walking him around the parameter to calm his fast heartbeat to its normal pace. "You did well, Sam." I pat him as we walk. We're not allowed to name our horses due to the emotional attachment we might obtain with the horse. The death of the horse may disrupt our focus during an expedition. As for myself, I don't heed at the advices regarding the horses' names. On expeditions when I find myself galloping with Sam with no one around, at least I have Sam to accompany me. I don't see Sam as a simple horse but a friend. It does get solitary outside the walls.

"Unload the carts!" I hear Squad Leader Ferno Dalesty command to several veterans.

"Come on, Sam. Let's get you fresh and full." I lead Sam to his horse stall and prepare his water and food. Thank goodness I'm not in charge of unloading the carts on this expedition. My muscles ache and I still have to wash up the hellfire from this expedition. My uniform is completely stained to a crimson color. My face could have been no more different. I made great efforts to remove their blood off my skin outside the walls. A futile attempt with a clean cloth. The only thing I obtained was a red tinted face. Water would have been the key if there were sufficient water to carry around in the first place. The lake Erwin suggested was manifested by mosquitos.