Chapter 4 | Rejoinder

|Published November 12, 2016| Pacific Time

Pacific Time

Chapter IV | REJOINDER

Captain's patience may be low
-Report

The tranquil night is vanquished by the constant chirping of crickets around the field. I find myself feeling drowsy in need for soft bedsheets, especially when I didn't take my afternoon thirty minute nap. How I make it through the expeditions is beyond my understanding. I'll have to consider the almighty father to give thanks for my undeclared demise.

Few tears well in my eyes when I yawn quietly. If I don't head back to the castle, I'll be sleeping with crickets tonight. I begin to gather my lantern, blades and black coat. "We should head back, Captain." I rise from the grass and stretch my arms with lantern in hand. "Ow." I rub my head.

"Idiot." The Captain yanks the lantern from me. Do lanterns possess the force of steel? It felt like my head hit the pavement. "Trying to beat the dust already?" He treads off to the direction of the old headquarters.

"Not until I complete my mission." I walk beside him, rubbing my temple. I could've suffered a concussion.

"What mission?" He eyes around the perimeter.

"Save the future for those who deserve it." I put my cloak on. I hear him hum in understanding. I wonder how the Captain found me. We stroll through the forest until coming across some tall bushes.

"Answer my question, Divergent." He steps aside so I can walk through it. "What's different?" I pause for a second. Is he still going on with what I said a few minutes ago? Why is he insisting all of a sudden? I'm not prompting Levi to reveal his most deepest secrets.

"I'm not comfortable speaking of this issue." I avoid a few thorns protecting their roses.

"Then start off by telling me." He insists from behind me. I sough in irritation.

"Sorry. Can't do." I make it across the bushes. I expect another pile of his prompting but I only hear his footsteps from behind. Probably he gave up.

After a few minutes we make it to the main entrance of the old headquarters. Instead of going to my room I stop for some water. Expecting the Captain to be long gone, if the silent footsteps behind me are any indication. I spin around to find Levi standing with arms crossed a few inches away from me.  

"Nice try Captain." I glide away from him meanwhile sipping on my glass of water.

"Divergent." Levi follows me to the table. "Your personal issues or insecurities may affect your performance with my squad and the upcoming expeditions."

"Hasn't affected me these six years I've embarked out the walls." I shrug as I place the glass of water on the wooden table. "I've been dwelling with it since I was eight. So now is no different from a decade ago." I clarify. I watch him scrutinize me with those piercing eyes of his that I have found so captivating and attractive. Wait. Hold on. I groan inwardly. I can't possibly be developing some intimidate feelings towards the Captain.