Chapter 6: Virginia City

Well I guess it's good we're going to town for new clothes. Because I literally have NO clothes, Joe said Hopsing tried to wash my clothes, annnddddd they literally fell apart.

So right now, I'm wearing a white shirt and some blue overalls.

We're riding into town, Joe, Candy, and Hoss are all on their separate horses, while I'm in the buck board with Mr. Cartwright.

Mr. Cartwright pulled the buck board horses by a dress shop, and I turned my gaze to him.

"Here is $20.00, take this into the dress shop, find some lovely material, and the ladies in there will be more than happy to help you." Mr. Cartwright said.

"But-"

"Not buts, you'll be fine. Me and the boys will be along in a few. Have fun." Mr. Cartwright said, as he helped me down from the buck board.

"Okay." I shrugged.

"Good girl." Mr. Cartwright said, giving me a hug.

As Mr. Cartwright walked off to do his own thing, I looked up at the dress shop sign. It seemed so intimidating. Turn back? Or go inside? Were my thoughts.

I sighed and let myself go. I walked inside.

There were about 6 older women inside, they took one look at me then went back to their gossiping.

I looked at the materials and fabrics. There was silk, cloth, wool in a variety of colors.

I then heard the womens' whispers.

"Who's that odd girl?"
"I don't know, Gladys."
"She looks an awful lot like that outlaw, Lindsey James."
"I think that is her!"
"What a wretched child!"
"What a monster she turned out to be!"
"Should we get the Sheriff?"

I couldn't take anymore of their talk, I was about to run right out the door, but instead I ran right into Joe. Trembling. And I'm ashamed to admit it.

"Shhh," he whispered comfortingly in my ear, while running fingers through my hair, "come on, let's go."
''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Thank you again, Ms. Foster." Joe said, once more.

"It's really no problem, Joe. And don't you worry, Dear, those old women in there just don't know how to keep their wrinkly lips shut." Ms. Foster said, " and DONE."

10 dresses in just an hour. Along with some skirts and blouses, along with undergarments and some boots.

Right now, I was in a party dress she called it, it was red with white lace.

"Doesn't she look just beautiful, Joe?" Ms. Foster said so cheerfully.

"She looks like the rarest diamond in the world. Beautiful and perfect." Joe winked.

A deep blush came to my cheeks.

Even though I knew he was lying. Because I know none of that was true. I wished there was some trurth in it.