Chapter 11: Cuddle

Short update. Merry Christmas!!

--

Lena had a very comfortable sleep, thanks to Cyrus. She was pretty sure that they slept with their backs against each other. Nasa kanya lang ang kumot dahil ayaw maki-share ni Cyrus kagabi. And he was as far away from her as possible, kaya may space pa sa gitna nila. That was last night, anyway. When she woke up the next morning, she found herself facing his Adam's apple. Nakayakap siya rito at nakayakap din ito sa kanya. They're both under the blanket, all snuggled up.

She blinked twice. He's still asleep. Natatakot siyang gumalaw. Their position was so awkward! Nakadantay pa siya sa binti nito. What will he say when he woke up? Pinilit niyang matulog muli. Maybe if he woke up first, he'll know what to do.

"Rise and shine!" came Julie's booming voice from the outside. Cyrus groaned. He's probably still asleep at hindi nito alam kung ano ang nangyayari dahil naramdaman niyang mas humigpit ang yakap nito sa kanya.

She can't help but blush. It's not supposed to be this way, but she kinda liked having his arms around her. He feels so warm. And to add to that, he also smelled like toasted marshmallows.

"Lena?"

"Hmm?"

She saw him frowning when she looked up. Dapat siguro ay nagkunwari na lamang siyang tulog. Mukhang pinag-iisipan nitong mabuti kung paanong nagkaganoon ang mga pwesto nila. Syempre, kasalanan niya. Siya itong malikot.

He didn't let go of her though, so she thought it'd be okay if she slept some more. Inaantok pa kasi siya. Alas singko pa lamang yata ng madaling-araw. Masyado pang maaga.

Niyugyog siya nito sa balikat. "Lena..."

She loosened her embrace. "Sorry, antok pa kasi ako."

Akmang hihiwalay siya nang magsalita ito. "No, it's okay. It' just... I haven't been this close to any woman since Joanna."

"I haven't been this close to any guy ever." Except for her dad and brothers, of course. But he seemed to understood.

He chuckled and muttered, "Touché."

Makakatulog na sana siyang muli (with his permission) when Julie yelled again. She wondered how many animals did Cyrus's cousin wake up.

"Come on, guys! You'll miss the sunrise!"

Bumuntong-hininga siya at kumalas kay Cyrus. Bumangon silang pareho. Hindi niya namalayang pasikat na pala ang araw. He went out first. Sinuklay niya ng kamay ang buhok at saka sumunod. Julie was standing near the tree while Blake was sitting on the chair log, sipping his coffee.

The sun was indeed rising. The sky was already turning from purple to orange. Inabutan siya ni Julie ng disposable na cup ng kape.

"Good morning! How's your sleep?" Julie gave them a teasing smile.

"It was fine," she answered. Warm and snug too, she wanted to add, but decided against it. Cyrus was massaging his temple. Maybe it's not as comfortable for him as it was for her.

"Are you okay?" tanong niya.

He scooted to give her room to sit. "Yeah. Just a little headache."

"Lena, kunan mo naman kami ng picture ni Blake. Do'n tayo sa clearing na malapit dito. Kitang-kita 'yong sunrise do'n!"

"Okay." She turned to Cyrus. "Sama ka?"

Umiling ito. "Matutulog na lang ulit ako. You go ahead."

"Sure?"

"Yeah."

"He'll be fine, Lena." Julie assured her.

She gave the cup of coffee to Cyrus and went back inside the tent to get her camera. Saka niya sinundan sina Julie at Blake papunta sa sinasabi nilang clearing. It's just a few meters away from their camp, nadaanan nila iyon kahapon papunta roon.

The sky was so beautiful. Walang usok ng Maynila. Walang matataas na buildings. Nothing can block her view. She raised the camera and snapped a few shots, before turning it to Blake and Julie.

The two were wearing thick matching sweaters. Nakaakbay si Blake kay Julie habang hinihintay ang signal niya. Julie looked so fresh without makeup.

"Ready!"

The first shot was Blake kissing Julie's cheek. The second one was with them holding hands while walking. On the third shot, she asked them to kiss, which they more than happily obliged to.

After taking a few more shots, they headed back to their camp. Usok na lamang ang natira sa maliit na bonfire kanina. Nang pumasok siya sa tent, nakita niyang natutulog ulit si Cyrus. She took a few pictures of him.

Nagulat siya nang bigla nitong tinakpan ang lens ng camera.

"You scared me!"

He gave her a lazy smile. "You're taking photos without my permission again."

"I live for stolen shots," she replied with a smile. "How's your head? Feeling any better?"

"Kinda."

"Swimming daw tayo sabi ni Julie."

Bumangon ito. "All right."

--

The water was cold. Lena was expecting it to be freezing and it didn't disappoint. Nangatog siya kaagad pagkatubog pa lamang sa mababaw na ilog. Agad siyang umahon, pero muling napabalik sa tubig nang maramdamang mas malamig ang hangin.

Julie laughed at her. "Do you need a blanket or something?"

She made a face. Mabuti na rin sigurong malamig. She had an excuse to wear her long-sleeves. Julie didn't question it. She wondered how she could wear a thin tank top and short shorts when it was so cold.

"I'll go get my camera."

Kinuha niya iyon mula sa pinapatungan nitong damit. Doon na lamang siya sa gilid umupo. Natatakot kasi siyang mabitawan ang camera niya. Julie immediately striked a pose. She then pulled Blake and Cyrus and put her arms on their shoulders.

The three beamed at her as she took their pictures. After switching places a few times and striking numerous poses, Cyrus pulled her to the middle of the river, took the camera from her hands and gave it to Blake.

"Careful!"

"Don't worry. Blake's good at handling things," Julie told her.

"Unlike you, klutz," kumento naman ni Cyrus.

Blake captured Julie punching Cyrus's shoulder.

They took turns in taking pictures. Tumigil lamang sila nang muntik ng malaglag ang camera sa kamay ni Julie. Agad siyang umahon at ibinalik ang camera sa lalagyan sa loob ng tent.

--

After lunch, the four of them packed up their things and headed home. She could tell that Cyrus still wasn't feeling well. Mas mainit kesa normal ang temperatura nito. He was fast asleep next to her throughout the ride.

"Thanks for doing this, Lena," Julie told her. "Sana nag-enjoy ka."

Nginitian niya ito. "I did."

It was true. Bihirang-bihira siyang makapag-camping. Parang elementary days pa yata 'yong huli, as part of being a girl scout.

She did enjoy the starry skies and the campfire stories. Most especially, she enjoyed sleeping with Cyrus's arms wrapped around her. Iyong lakad lamang talaga papunta at pabalik sa camp site ang ayaw na niyang ulitin. Her legs weren't made for walking for hours. Kaya nga hindi niya matagalan ang pagsa-shopping ni Lacey. Her sister could walk in heels for five hours straight.

"Bye, Lena," paalam ni Cyrus nang pumara sila sa tapat ng bahay ng parents niya. Doon na siya nagpahatid para masundo si Bailey. She'll be spending the night there, tapos kinabukasan, magpapahatid siya pauwi sa daddy niya.

She told him to get well and then she stepped out of the car. Hinintay muna niyang makalayo ang sasakyan bago siya pumasok ng bahay.