€hapter 18

Out of all the words I could use to describe my current situation,

Terrible, frightening, problematic.

The word that sticks out the most to me is awkward.

Sitting in between my divorced mom and dad has to be the most awkward thing I have ever experienced. Especially when my mom is constantly fidgeting with her hands and looking anxiously around the hospital waiting room. I can tell she's debating rather to be mad at me, feel sorry for me, or be relieved I'm ok. But her confusion is a plus to me, she's not ranting or raving.

When I finally calmed down after my sprint through the hospital, I was able to take a shower and get dressed in normal clothes before my mom arrived and checked me out of the haunting hospital room.

Mom nearly knocked me to the ground with a bone crushing hug the moment I walked out of the small-hospital room- bathroom. My hair wet and my skin pale under a simple grey t-shirt and leggings. She then proceed to smack my bottom with a scowl, causes me to yelp and grab my behind as she yelled how much trouble I was in.

"Do you even know how terrifying it is to get a call from a Boston hospital telling you your daughter is in the hospital!?!"

"Do you know how agonizing it is to have the most important person in your life go missing for two freaking days!?!"

"Lesley Ann Todd I can't believe you!"

But for once, I put myself in her shoes, and understood her concern. I didn't back talk or come up with excuses, I just took her lecture and nodded along. But once I sat down and explained April's situation to my parents and Chester, her frustrated demeanor changed and a solemn expression settled on her face. It was only then that she noticed my dad sitting quietly across the room, and that's where the awkwardness began. After all, seeing your ex-husband who literally abandoned you must be awkward. I quickly excused Chester and myself to the cafeteria to eat once again. (Seeing as I threw up the previous food)

After a small sandwich and Diet Coke, I find myself sitting aimlessly in the waiting room along side my mom and dad. This is all quite surreal really, I never expected both me and my parents to ever be in the same room together again.

Looking to the left of me where my father sits in the light green hospital chair, I can tell he's just as uncomfortable as the rest of us. His face is scrunched and his hands rub at his knees. He looks up and past me to my mother every now and then and opens his mouth as if to say something, but closes it shortly after and returns his gaze to the floor. When he looks up once again to do the same pattern, I abruptly stand up and cringe at the loud squeak the chair legs give off as they scrape against the white tile.

Yep. My cue to go sit by Chester.

"I'll be in the next room with Chester and his family." I tell my mother before entering the next waiting room less than five feet away from the first. Only a thin wall separates the two rooms and I start to wonder why they didn't just build it as one room.

Chester's family got here soon after my mother did, and let me tell you, his mother wasn't near as lenient as my mom was. The only time Maryann stopped her rant to even breath is when Sofia , April's mother, finally came out into the waiting room and explained April's condition. Now, her face shows nothing but concern and when her eyes meet mine, she's gives me a sorry filled look and adjust her light brown hair before shifting her gaze to the magazine in her hands. David sits at the children's area in the corner of the room on a colorful rug, a green book in his hands. Chester is sitting along side Maryann and he lifts his head from his hand when I sit in the empty seat beside him. Chester's father is, like most times, no where to be seen in the dull room. Chester gives me a small smile and sits up slightly.