2: Land School

Adams POV

I walked up from the basement, looking for Nixie. I had such a good time with her. We can talk about anything and everything, and she won't judge me or tease me, like Chase and Leo. I like her a lot....as a friend.

"Hey Adam." I heard Bree say as she walked in, carrying a big box of something. Oh, I hope it's a baby purple pony named Blue. "What's in the box?" Chase asked as him and Leo made their way into the kitchen. "Lobster, crab and shrimp." She replied, putting them all on a plate. "Uh, why?" Leo asked getting a bowl of cereal.

"Because, Nixie said that this is the only thing that she eats." Bree went outside and super sped somewhere, dragging a tired Nixie behind her. "What Bree, I was having a very nice dream of...Adam!" Nixie walked to me and gave me a hug. I hugged her back. "I got your seafood, my friend" Bree said, and almost immediately let go of me and rushed to the plate of seafood.

Nixie's POV

"I got your seafood, my friend." I heard that statement and ran to the food, smelling it and eating it. 5 minutes passed by and I already finished the entire plate full of seafood and I was all ready to go out the door, wearing a pink tank, a plaid flannel, a jean skirt and flats. I tied my hair in a fishtail, (get it? Fish-tail? No, ok.)

"Ready, Bree?" She ran to me and nodded, and our day began.

At school....

"I have to stay away from water. If I get exposed, I'll be stuck in an aquarium, having people gawk at me and not to mention having the other mermaids at risk of being discovered and..." I rambled on and on about what could happen. "I won't let that happen, although today is swimming day." I looked at Bree like she was crazy. "We all go in the ocean and have to pass the swimming test." I was panicking.

"Who's the new girl?" A land boy walked up to me and Bree. "Oh, hey Marcus." She replied. I smiled, not knowing what to do. "This is Nixie, she's the one who's staying with us." Bree introduced me. Marcus winked at me and I didn't know what to do. Then some noise rang through the air. "What was that? Are we under attack?" I panicked. "Nix, calm down. It's just the warning bell." I nodded, still confused. We waved goodbye to Marcus and walked over to the boys. "Land school is nothing like mermaid school." I whispered to Bree. "I bet." She whispered back.

"Hello ladies, and Bree." Adam greeted. I laughed a little, turning to Leo. "Hey, uh, Leo. You have biology next right?" He nodded and took my schedule. "We have every class together. I can show you around!" He exclaimed. "Except for gym. You, Chase and Bree are with you for that." I nodded and followed Leo.

Leo is surprisingly a good conversationalist. "You know, you remind me a lot of Alana. She's quite the fish whisperer. She taught me some things as well?" I regretted saying that, because Leo looked at me like I was crazy. "She talks to fish?" He questioned. He shook his head and started talking about Pig Zombies when we finally reached the biology door.

"Alright, partner up. We already dissected a frog, now let's try it on a fish." The teacher started. I gasped really loud, earning strange looks from the entire class, including the teacher, and Leo. "Excuse me?" The teacher said.

"I just don't think that fish should be dissected. They're my friends." I replied, completely oblivious to what's happening. "What makes them your friend, new girl?" Some girl asked me all sassily, kind of like Lyla. Oh I miss her, and Sirena. "This 'new girl' has a name. And it's Nixie." I started, standing up from my seat and walking to the fish tank. The beautiful clownfish blinked at me. I blinked back.

"Sit down, right now!" The teacher commanded me. I don't take commands. "I don't take commands, teach." I turned to him. The bottle of water started to shake. "I'm your teacher. I can tell you to do whatever I want you to do." He yelled at me.

"You know, teach, you seem angered, you should cool off." I grabbed the water bottle from the desk and splashed him with it, earning 'oooh's' from the class. He wiped his face and almost got some on me, but I backed away. He realized it and took the water bottle and held it up to me. "What, are you afraid of water?" He asked.

"No, it's--it's nothing." I backed away. The teacher looked at what was in the water bottle and me, ready to splash it on me. I covered my face and was ready to be splashed by water.

"Noooo!" Leo jumped in front of me and got hit by the water instead of me. He landed on his side, with water on his shirt and pants. He got up and stood next to me as the teacher wrote something on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

"Detention, my room, right after school, Nixie. Don't be late." He snapped, walking back to the front of the class. I looked at his face and noticed something silver under his ear.

I looked around, everyone was laughing at me. I even heard a "Ha. She's afraid of water! What a loser!" I looked at Leo, who looked sorry. I started crying and ran out of the classroom and out of the whole school. I ran to the ocean, where Adam was.

"Nixie? What are you doing here?" He asked, looking at me, as did the entire class. I ran into the ocean and swam away, far far away from land school.

Man, I wish Lyla and Sirena were here. They would know what to do. I thought, swimming around the ocean, looking for the pod that was supposed to be living here.

I saw a faint glimpse of a mermaid tail and I zoomed over there, and soon enough, there were 50 mermaids there. I swam through them, admiring their purple tails.

"Who are you?" Someone asked me through my mind. Mermaids can't speak underwater, so we can read minds of pretty much anything, animals, fish, land people.

"I'm Nixie. I was sent from the southern pod, near Australia, to warn you. There is a great unknown danger coming for us. I do not know who or why, but it leads to a risk of us being exposed." I explained. The mermaid nodded, and I know I did my duty. I speed swam back to land, and changed so I had legs. I ran back to the school and saw that there was 5 more minutes left in the school day.

I decided that I should call Rita and tell her about today.

"Hey Rita. Can you hear me?"

"Yes, Nixie I can understand you."

"Ok, good. I talked to the mermaid council of the northern pod and warned them."

"Good. I expect You want to talk to Lyla, now?"

"Oh, yes please! Lyla, hey? Oh, land school is horrible. No, I'm not ready to talk about it. My family is nice, yeah, they have a daughter, and 3 sons. No, I do not like one of them. Lyla, I know consequences of dating a land boy...."

After School....

Chases POV

I walked out of gym, faking an injury to avoid Trent when I heard someone on the phone. I used my bionic hearing and listened in.

"Ok, good. I talked to the mermaid council of the northern pod and warned them."

"Good. I expect you want to talk to Lyla now?" The lady on the other side of the line asked.

"Oh, yes, please! Lyla, hey! Oh, land school is horrible here! No, I am not ready to talk about it. My family is nice, yeah. Oh, they have a daughter and 3 sons. No, I do not like one of them. Yes Lyla, I know the consequences of dating a land boy. Yeah, but we're not part of the pod anymore. Remember the whole reason I'm here, Lyla. Why you and Sirena are here, they kicked us out!"

The bell rang, causing the girl to jump. "That was the bell. Yes, very loud. I have to go. I'll call you back. Tell Sirena I said hi!" The girl hung up and stood up. Nixie. What does she mean, mermaid council. Maybe she's a mermaid? No, that's impossible, right?