Chapter 6

As I finished the last of my things for tonight I checked the time: 6:59. Not too bad getting ready in 2 hours. I opened the door and headed for the stairs. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Alex staring at me. It felt strange and awkward since no one usual pays attention to me at home. 

I got to the stairs and walked down them, looking at my feet to make sure I didn't fall of course. When I looked up again I saw Eli and Jesse staring at me. It feels so damn weird!

"You look amazing Ellie!" they both said at the same time, I blushed and looked down. Eli walked over to me and hugged me. Before he pulled away he whispered in my ear, "You look beautiful, and don’t worry about that blush it makes you look even more amazing." He saying that just made me blush more. 

"Ready?" Jesse said waking up to me. I nodded my head and we walked to his car. 

*****Skipping ride*****

We soon arrived at Olive Garden and got seated right away.

"So, thank you for taking me out to dinner, Jesse. But you really didn't have to just to talk." I said smiling at him. He gave a warm smile back and nodded. For a while it was an awkward. 

"Well, actually I did, Ellie. I didn't want the other guys to hear what happened in the...um...family." Jesse said looking down at the menu. He was about to add something but the waiter came to take our order. We order and I looked at Jesse hoping he would pick up the conversation again.

"As I was saying; these family issues must stay between me and you. No one in the gang can hear of this ever. If they ask just say we went out to get to know each other better, which is partially true."

"Okay...” I sighed then continued, "How much do you know about the family issue?"

"Enough. I have been personally watching Dad for a while, but when Mom died I noticed a lot of things had gone downhill. I just wanted to come get you then but I couldn't. I feel guilty-“That’s where I cut him off.

“What do you mean you couldn’t come get me? I didn’t even know I had a brother until you kidnapped me!”

“Well, I would have been there but I couldn’t! Dad kicked me out before you were even born.” 

“Why?”

“He said he didn’t need anyone ruining his plans for this new child and he just kicked me out. I found the gang a few months later but I watched you grow up. I even went to the same school as you to see you.”

I had nothing more to say. I didn’t even know what to say. I just sat there avoiding his eyes. After a few more minutes of silence the food came. We just ate in silence.

“What do you think Dad met by “ruining his plans”?” I asked putting quotations around ruining his plans. Jesse gave me a sad look like he knew something but didn’t want to tell me. “Jesse, what is it?”

“He…would sell you for money when you were little. So you won’t remember it. Then when mom died he started beating you.”

“He would rape me at night” I whispered really softly hoping Jesse wouldn’t hear. But he heard.

“What?”  he practically yelled, looking really angry. He calmed down some and said a little calmer, “Please say it’s not true, Ellie.” He looked at me with pleading eyes.

“It’s true though, Jesse. I couldn’t do anything about it.” I looked him in the eyes. I could see the anger he held and the sadness in them for me. He got out of his chair and came around by me and gave me a hug. It had been forever since I had a hug but this it felt nice and safe just like my mom’s hugs. 

“Let’s get home.” he whispered in my ear. We got up paid and went home.