CHAPTER 1: Adapting...

Sixteen Years Later...

'DING-A-LING'!

Finally! That's the sound of the bell, the term was over, I could relax for two and a half months, I was taking some vacation time as well, wasn't lecturing awesome? I looked at my students as they began to pack up their things, they of course were overjoyed, and who could blame them. They worked pretty hard this term, biology was no easy course, I could tell you, I taught it. Then next term, they would study genetics, which was my favorite topic in the whole world.

"Class do not forget you owe me a long paper on the Importance of Meiosis to living Things, for Tuesday", I said, I heard collective groans, I smirked at that. Yep they had to submit that paper even though the term was ending; it was what would take some of them into the new school year.

"Enjoy your vacation and be good boys and girls", I said laughing, as they began filing out of the room.

So I lectured on a variety of Sciences at Chancellor's University, it was one of the best universities in the state. It was a great place to work, great colleagues, some great students and the sceneries were to die for. We were surrounded by forests, mountains and lakes, it was beauty to behold and it was the end of the school year.

I had been lecturing at the university for two and a half years now, after I got my bachelor degree in Marine biology, I went on to a master's degree in Natural Sciences. I loved the sciences and I was reading everything I could get my hands on relating to it, yeah I was a book worm. I was a nerd, I needed to know what made everything move, it was that drive that propelled me forward, I had a master's degree before I was twenty, yeah book worm.

Today was my birthday though, I was turning twenty two, my parents were taking me out to dinner, to celebrate and my boyfriend Chandler and his parents would be joining us. It was one of the happiest days of my life, all my family were here. I was going shopping with my best friend Kristina, I had to buy a dress and she of course was running late.

"Rayne", a fellow colleague, Mr. Chow called.

He was of Chinese ethnicity, but thought that he was a gyspy in another life. Maybe that was why I was so fond of him, he believed in the supernatural.

"Yes, Mr. Chow", I answered.

"I hope you had a better term than I did", he said, placing a stack of records, on my desk, things I needed to fill out.

"It was okay", I answered, bursting into laughter, he wore a kilt to school today; he had really scrawny legs, so you can imagine.

"Hey", he said, "I got this on sale".

"I'm sorry", I answered, trying to contain myself but I couldn't help it, I had to take a seat, as my body racked with laughter.

"Laugh all you want Rayne, you are lucky it's your birthday, so you get a free pass", he answered.

"Thanks", I answered.

"Those have to be in by Friday, though", he said, I groaned.

"Okay", I said.

"Enjoy, your night out", he said kissing my cheeks; "I need to go finish my research".

"I will", I answered as he walked away

"I want cake", he said, at the door.

"Sure thing", I laughed.

"Oh and I already mailed your present to your house", he said.