I'm putting out the lantern (7)

“So, d’you think life will ever be the same again?” Lucy asked me once we’d sat down at the kitchen table.

“Nope. Not after that kiss. I think my view of the world has actually shifted. “ I replied. I still felt a little bit fuzzy. It had been quite possibly of the most incredible days of my life. I spent a whole day with my favourite rock star that had been organised by my best friend. It was almost perfect. “So how was your day with Spencer?”

“It was wonderful. He is incredible. And you know, he bought me flowers in the market and he paid for everything, bless his little cotton socks. He was such a gentleman and is so funny! I know in interviews and stuff, he comes across as shy, but seriously…I don’t want to sound like a crazy fan, but I really think I could fall for this guy, Sarah.”

That had me worried. Spencer was leaving the country to go back to the states in just a few days. If Lucy was falling for him, she’d be devastated when she couldn’t see him. I love Lucy too much to see her heartbroken after 1 date. She was my best friend and she’d been with me through everything since we were 14. My depressed emo phase when I’d struggled with all kinds of crap right through to the darkest days of my life after Abbey, Lucy had been right beside me. I trusted her with everything. No-one made me laugh like she did and no-one could read me better. It was almost impossible to lie to her.

And yet, I couldn’t disagree with her. Lucy had had her own fair share of hurts and drama in life, and I trusted her enough to be sensible. But I also knew she wouldn’t sacrifice love if she thought she’d found it. And after my amazing day with Brendon, I didn’t doubt Spencer had been incredible too.

We sat up together for a couple of hours, analysing our dates, swapping stories of sweet kisses and funny moments. It reached a quiet point. We both sat still, curled up on the couch, just thinking about our favourite band and how we’d been lucky enough to meet them. At about midnight, Lucy’s phone vibrated on the coffee table. She’d received a text message. She dived on her phone and I knew from the huge, silly grin on her face that it was from Spencer.

It was then that I realised I didn’t have Brendon’s number, and he didn’t have mine. My heart sank. Of course, I could always ask Lucy to get it from Spencer for me, but somehow that seemed fake. Like if Brendon didn’t think to give it to me, I shouldn’t have it. I kissed Lucy on the forehead and said goodnight, climbing the stairs to my room. I knew that having a phone number, one link between us, wouldn’t make this a relationship. It wouldn’t make 3000 miles any shorter or make the differences between us any less. He’d always Brendon Urie, rock star and sex god, and I’d be Miss Sarah Wilcox, teacher and short ginger woman.

 At 21, I feel on the shelf. What is up with that? Life is just too bizarre. I undressed and pulled on my pyjamas. I climbed into bed, without taking off my make-up or even brushing my teeth. Unhygenic, maybe, but right now, all I cared about was getting into my snugly bed and sleeping until I absolutely had to get up. I fell asleep thinking of Brendon’s lips on mine, hoping to dream of him.

I awoke the next morning, groaning as my phone played a familiar song. ‘Part of your world’ was blaring straight into my ear from next to my head. Oddly, I didn’t remember ever having this song on my phone. I looked at the screen of my phone and yelped, throwing my phone back onto my bed.

“Lucy!” I yelled, just staring at my phone. Brendon’s face was grinning at me, pulling some strange expression. Why was Brendon’s face on my phone? HOW was Brendon’s face on my phone?

Lucy ran into my room looking worried.

“Whats wrong? Are you okay?”

“Why is Brendon calling me?”

“Because he wants to talk to you?”

“Brendon Urie doesn’t have my number!”

“Just answer it!”

I dived on the phone, pressing answer, praying I hadn’t missed it.

“Hello?” I almost shouted in excitement.

“Hi…erm, is that Sarah?” Brendon asked, sounding confused.

“Brendon, why is your face on my phone and why was it singing songs from The Little Mermaid?”

“Because, my little Sarah Sunshine, that is our song, and my face is on your phone so that you can look at it and know it’s me who is calling you. Simple.” Brendon said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“And how did it get there?”

“Are you complaining? ‘Cos you know, you can always delete it. I just thought that you might want to, I dunno, stay in touch.” Brendon sounded a little bit sad when he said this. Suddenly, I felt mean. “No, I’m just confused. I don’t remember putting it there. Or having that song on my phone.”

“You didn’t. When you fell asleep on the bus, I stole your phone and added my number and downloaded the song. ‘Cos it’s Our Song.”

“Right. So why are you calling me at 7.30 on a Sunday morning?”

“Is that all it is? I thought it was later than that. I’m so sorry! You go back to sleep. Sorry!”

“Brendon, wait. Why did you call?”

“Breakfast! There’s something I wanted to talk to you about.”

Suddenly I felt nervous. The kind of sick nervous you feel before an important exam or when you know you’ve done something wrong and it’s only a matter of time before you’re caught. “O-Okay. Where?”

“I’ll pick you up. Quick, get dressed!” Brendon hung up and I flopped back on my bed.

poo. What am I getting myself into?

AN: Again, sorry it's short. I'm trying! Next chapter is already half written, so it'll be up in time.