An Awkward Encounter | Chapter 2

Pippa's ratty case spewed it's contents over the ground from the previous encounter from the strange man. She sighed as she forcefully bent over to pick her items up.

"Going somewhere?" a man spoke followed by a slight wheezing and chuckle

Pippa, partway bent over felt the sting of embarrassment linger on her neck, as her robes were not very long. She stood up quickly to see a grubby, skinny man with long stringy hair purse his lips together in vague amusement at the current situation.

"You're not leaving are you darling? The party is just getting started!" he gestured to the closing castle door

Okay, Pip, decision time.

But before she could weigh up the situation, the skinny man grabbed her hand and dragged her into the castle.

The gates boomed behind her and she quickly adapted to the challenging lighting.

" It's..... beautiful" she gasped.

"Yes, I suppose, if you like the whole grand castle thing" the skinny man sniffed.

" Thank you for that" Pippa smiled gesturing to the gate behind them, " I didn't think I was going to go through with it Mr errrr"

" Filtch, Argus Filtch" he held out his grubby little hand.

She took it politely " I'm Phillipa Drake pleased to meet you"

Filtch took her bag and guided her through the Hallway pointed out iconic landmarks along the way.

" I take it that you are not a student then?" Flitch spotted noticing the strange robes

" No, I am the new Apprentice to Professor Lewis"

"Ahhhh muggle studies, well with that line of work darling, you wont be making friends that easy"

" What do you mean?" Pippa asked quizzically

" What's a young girl such as yourself interested in muggles for anyway?..."

Quickly changing the topic, Pippa thanked Fitch for the short tour, grabbed her bag and entered the great hall , which was conveniently in front of her. Fitch gave her a wave and went along calling out to his cat.

Everyone that was eating stopped to stare at this new, young girl with the puzzling robes. The all stared right into her emerald green eyes. Her auburn frizzy hair shone with the stars, as part of the night sky that appeared on the ceiling. Professor Dumbledore stood up.

"Ah! There she is, we were beginning to what had happened to you Ms Drake, hopefully no second thoughts" the staff and students murmured with giggling. Little did they knew, Pippa thought. Dumbledore signaled to Professor McGonagall to tap on her glass.

" May I have your attention please" she articulated.

Dumbledore raised his arms and the whole great hall ceased to speak. Pippa stopped in her tracks in front of the entire faculty. She noticed the strange tall dark haired man staring at her, cheeks slightly red from their first meeting. She could feel his eyes burning the back of her head.

"I would like to present Ms Phillipa Louisa Edith Drake, Professor Lewit's personal assistant in the art of muggle studies. I would like every student to make her feel right at home as I trust she will have no problems fitting in"

Dumbledore then guided Pippa to the teachers platform where an empty seat with what she could assume was a very sleepy professor Lewit sat on one side and the tall dark haired man on the other.

" Ms Drake this is Professor Lewit" Dumbledore made sure he said this loud enough to wake the tired old man up. He was a tiny thing, no more that 5 feet with hair like Albert Eisenstein and a pencil moustache. His velvet robes were about two sizes too big and his glasses constantly slide off his angular long nose and he drifted in and out of consciousness.

The tall dark haired man scoffed and rolled his eyes away back to his goblet.

" Hello Professor, I must say it is an honour to meet you. I look forward to working with...."

He drifted back off.

"Maybe introductions are best to wait for tomorrow morning Ms Drake" chucked Dumbledore "please take a seat"

"Thank you very much Professor" Pippa smiled gratefully into the Headmaster's gleaming eyes.

Pippa took a sip of her wine goblet and observed her surroundings, Home? Maybe. she was never quite sure about anything in her life, always making sure all her options were open until the very last second as to not miss out. But this, this was big news. Leaving my world behind and trying to start again. She must have been deep in thought because she didn't notice the dark haired man try to grab her attention.

" Ms Drake, I believe we have not been properly introduced" he said with a slight smirk.

This man, it's not even my first day and he is already mocking me.

" I am Severus Snape, I teach potions and I am the head of Slytherin house" he held out a long slimy yet delicate hand in Pippa's direction which was accepted with some reluctance, as this man's demeanour made the hairs on the back of neck stand up.

"Pleasure, Professor,"

Pippa gritted through her teeth,

"It's an absolute pleasure"

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Oooo things are heating up! Expect more fiery conversation between those two later on!

Please let me know what you think and what you would like to see!

Thanks for reading xxx

B