The Waiting Game: Part 1 |Chapter 8

Pippa promptly made her way to Professor Snape's office. She carried nothing more than questionable manners, unsure if another outburst much like the one earlier in the day was about to occur. She reached the door and her hand automatically went to knock but she stopped herself. Her hand left inches away from the door, close enough to feel the cool steel radiate her knuckles. She shuddered and looked around. It was dark, intriguingly dark for the time of day. Flickers of light from nearby floating candles danced around the dungeons warming the backs of her legs.

"Sheeeeeeee....So Obersevant.......cleeeevvvvveeeerrrrrr girl....."

"Who's there?"

"Headaaaaachessssss....tireeeeedddd....yesss... so tired of fighting...."

Pippa turned to face the dark long corridor just in time to see a small current of wind blow out the floating candles. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She tried desperately not to be frightened, her arms wrapped around her, shivering, convincing herself that there is nothing there. She turned back to the professor's door and with no hesitation. Knocked.

It was answered quickly.

"W....w....w...what's wrong with me?" Pippa stammered holding her head.

The professor showed concern and guided her into his chair, finding a tattered old blanket which he offered to her from a distance, and as she sat there shivering out of her mind, he realized that he was the one who must place the blanket around her. His warmth comforted her, he smelt of burnt cinnamon and fire whiskey. After wrapping her up, Snape shut the office door firmly and swiftly placed a chair next to her to sit down.

"How do you feel?" He asked taking out his wand and waving it around her face and shoulders.

"Thirsty" She smiled weakly.

The Professor materialized a glass with what looked like butterbeer, but tasted much stronger. Snape watched carefully as this shaken girl gulped down whiskey like it was water. His hands clambered together in his lap masked by the longness of his sleeves.

Pippa slowly and gently put down her glass, not wanting to make a sound. Her glaze left the glass and found the professor. He was trying his best not meet her eyes. He spoke strong and roughly.
" I shall inform Professor Dumbledore of what has happened. I am sure your parents will be on the first train here tomorrow morning."

Pippa felt somewhat disappointed by his change in character but in no condition to argue she merely sighed and wrapped the blanket tighter around herself.
"What is happening to me professor?"
Snape found the glaze he was hoping to avoid.

"A chance,...one chance"

"....Arrrr would you be so kind as to elaborate?" Pippa spoke finding some strength.

"I...can't"

Pippa sensed the seriousness in his voice, a tremor, as if clearing his throat.

" I have to inform the headmaster"

As the professor got up to leave Pippa grabbed his arm the shock raced through his spine.

"Please, tell me what's happening to me, I'm begging you."

Pippa's eyes began to tear up as she let go of his arm. Snape sat down beside her connecting the two chairs and she collapsed into him. He wrapped his arms around her to keep her blanket from falling off.

"You are important Phillipa, more than you know"

Snape let go of the crying mess when she regained the ability to hold her blanket. Shortly followed by a knock at the door. Hoping it was the headmaster
Snape opened it swiftly.

"Pippie?"

Pippa looked up to see a ragged looking boy.

"Eric?"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks so much for reading! xxx
B