Chapter 3

It was a few days later, three, maybe four, and R found himself in front of Julie's house after one of his rehab sessions. This had become a sort of ritual. He would wake up in the clinic and go through several different procedures throughout most of the day, and when his treatments were over for the day, he'd either get visits from M, Nora, or Julie, sometimes all three of them, or he'd make his way painfully to Julie's house. Today had been a particularly grueling day. He had cramped up so many times it had actually brought tears to his eyes. The fact that his doctor, who he had found out her full name was Susan Martinez, had been so patient and sympathetic toward him, that it had only seemed to make it worse. Now the only thing he wanted to do was bask in Julie's comforting presence and ask her about her day, listen to the always pleasant melody of her voice.

"R?" John Grigio's eyes narrowed a fraction at seeing the young man in front of his door. This wasn't the first time, of course, but he still felt wary around the boy. Particularly since his daughter seemed so drawn to him. It wasn't just a case of over-protectiveness though, he was still afraid that whatever it was that changed the boy, would reverse itself. Perhaps he was being a bit paranoid, but that's what had kept him and his people more or less safe all this time.

"May I see Julie?" R asked tentatively, trying to speak as smoothly as he could. John didn't say a word or move for a few minutes, just scrutinized him, and R felt the strangest urge to fidget.

"Go on," John finally responded gruffly, stepping aside.

"Thank you, sir," R ducked his head as he went inside and limped his way up the stairs. Doing something as simple as climbing steps still caused his legs and lungs to burn. It brought him so much frustration sometimes that even his head started to hurt. This was one thing he didn't miss about being alive. The silliest things could give you pain, even simple annoyance. Knocking on her door, he waited patiently as Julie went over to her door and smiled when she opened it.

"R! Hi, come in," Julie stepped back and watched R all but stumble into the room. "Wow, you look exhausted," she mentioned, watching him looking around the room at the new pictures on the wall. She saw him looking at her "hope" wall and smiled. He had found a picture of him on it and was looking at it oddly.

"Yeah... feel it," R responded tiredly. As Julie walked over she noticed his posture strained and a grimace on his face.

"You okay?" She asked, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Shoulders hurt," he shrugged and winced.

"Bad session today?" Julie's eyebrow popped up in question.

R had almost started to revert back to his normal habit of shrugging for every question, but was getting better at catching himself. "Very," he sighed, glancing over to her and smiling weakly.

Julie nodded and turned a bit. "Here, let me help," she said, pushing herself back on her bed and gesturing for him to go over.

"Uh-" R blinked in confusion.

"Well? Come on, sit down," Julie insisted, lifting a brow at him again, and pointing to the spot in front of her. R hesitated for a fraction of a second before lumbering over and slumping down unceremoniously, causing her to stumble forward slightly.

"Sorry..." he muttered in embarrassment. Her hands on his back that she used to get her balance back was definitely not something he was sorry about though. When he felt her hands on him again he turned slightly in question, but she stopped him and made him look forward again. "What... are you-" R's question evaporated at the feel of her fingers slide over his neck and shoulders. He winced when she began to knead him like dough. In a few minutes, the pain melted into a strange but familiar feeling. Pleasure. Ah, that was a feeling he surely did miss. He sighed and let his head lull forward.